7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Postby jr9744 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:38 pm

@flboy My step-dad is a fan of caulking everything. So we used like two tubes per window to seal them. Think Caulk everywhere!

@McDave The window makes a world of difference. It is starting to feel like I home!

I'm starting to see the end of the tunnel. I'm feeling confident that we will have her sealed up and ready for my trip to Vegas by the end of this month. This last week or so we put in the second window, adding the pine boards on the left side of the trailer, added locks to the door, and got all the lighting placed where they go.

Here are some pics of the progress:

Second window in place and us putting the pine boards up.

Boards done and the second window view (at night)

Door and first attempt at regular door knob:

Deadbolt and doorknob in place

Inside view of final deadbolt and doorknob placement

View of the recessed lights in place

So I'm leaning towards using aluminum roofing as my ceiling. I plan on putting bead board paneling behind the kitchen counter. Then the last thing to figure out is how I want to finish the bathroom.

I have also decided on a rv couch that will serve as my bed as well. The pulled out bed fits perfectly in my space.

I also tried using epoxy on my counter. It turned out terrible. Lesson learned. I plan on tacking off the epoxy and using Plycrilic Min Wax.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Hey jr,
Lookin good my friend, real good. You really are down to the final steps. Gotta say, I love the windows and beaded board walls. It really does look like a tiny house or cabin. Nice job jr.
Did the door get heavy with the bead board installed? That knob set and deadbolt actually look to be a more secure set up than the standard RV latch.
So, Viva Las Vegas, baby. She's not the cool outlaw town of the '70s/80s anymore, but still a must see destination. This is probably the best time of year to see the desert. It is possible you'll catch some of the "Monsoon Season" but after the rain the desert is absolutely magical. I miss it deeply. On the other hand, Montana is never boring. So since we are still snowed in I'll be living vicariously for a while longer, so keep us posted of your progress and pics of your travels.
Thanks,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 pm

@McDave Yes, the door feels really heavy with the boards up. A part of me feels that it is too heavy for the hinges, but I have my eye on it.

I've never been anywhere off the East Coast of the United States, so I'm looking very forward to Vegas. One of my brothers is getting married. I do plan to stay on the West Coast once I get out there and explore that side of the states for a few months.

So back to my epoxy story. I bought Marine epoxy in order to use plywood in my bathroom. Once I realized this was more work that it was worth, I decided to use the epoxy for my butcher-block counter. YouTube made it look so easy, but it was not. My table wasn't level and the epoxy came out super uneven. Today I dedicated 8 hours of my life to getting that epoxy off the butcher-block and getting it ready for some Minwax polycyclic stuff that I bought.

Some razor blades and a heat gun is what I used to get the epoxy off

Here is a close-up of what I was dealing with (The epoxy did make the wood pretty, but the unevenness killed it):

Butcher-block back to normal

This week i'll put the new finish on and install it back in the trailer.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 am

Those kind of learning experiences are exactly what makes a person a seasoned veteran. Sometimes trial and error teaches you a lot more than an easy win would. The key is persevere until you achieve the desired result. Whatever it takes. But when you do get it right, the victory is so sweet. Plus, if it was easy anybody could do it.
So, having pumped all that sunshine up your butt in advance, I'll let you in on the method I have used a couple times to refinish bar tops from the late 1800s. I have used a couple different brands and both turned out perfect. One product is called "Liquid Glass". It is a 2 part resin that is crystal clear and intended for just this purpose. It is pretty important to avoid putting air in while mixing, so slow gentle folding strokes and try not to scrape the container. I also used a "pressure pot" and a vacuum pump to remove air from the mix. Working time is about 25 min at 70f. You want to mix up about 1 oz per sq.ft. and shoot for 2 or 3 coats to equal approx. 1/4" total thickness. The first coat or two are really just to seal and to fill the low spots. I used a squeegee to spread the resin out. You can move the liquid around pretty easy and evenly. You don't want to work it too much and stop before it starts to set up. It is liquid so it will seek it's own level. When it is in the "plastic" state you can work out some bubbles and voids and smooth it with a propane torch. Just keep the torch moving at all times and don't burn the resin. Let it cure for a couple hours and then get the next coat on while the first coat is still slightly tacky but hardened. Again, 1oz/sq.ft.. same technique. This coat should be close to perfect when hardened. Final coat should just flow out smooth and level, like liquid glass. Let it cure for 24hrs and then hand the bar owner a Great Big BILL. I'll try to dig up a pic. and link for resin.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 am

Hey jr,
This is one of the products I have used, I'm not sure how appropriate it is for actual food prep areas.
http://www.bestbartopepoxy.com/

On most of the butcher block cutting surfaces I have always just used walnut oil or hazelnut oil. When you do a clean up and disinfecting with a bleach solution you can then just re oil the wood and it will soak in a bit. This seems to keep the wood moisturized pretty well and non toxic. Keep the oil in a cool dark place and airtight container. All fats and oils can go rancid or stale if not stored properly. It won't hurt you but it is not good eats.

These aren't great pics but this is one of the bars I redid several years ago. Still looks good.
This info is just for future reference. I understand that you have chosen a Minwax product.
Good luck,
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Alright jr, I know it seems I'm beating a dead horse, but here is some info I found interesting about the epoxy resin. Something to ponder and just to be aware of.

Stained Wood

Alcohol based stains or water based are best and fast drying. The epoxy can go over them in about 24 hours. There are so many other stains on the market that it is hard to offer a 100% answer that covers all of them. OIL BASED stains such as Minwax take a LONG time to fully dry. If an oil-based stain is used, you must apply a clear oil-based polyurethane to seal the surface before applying a seal coat of our UltraClear epoxy. If you go directly over the oil-based stain and it is not completely dry, you run the risk of the epoxy not sticking to the surface and peeling off months later.

You will still need to apply a seal coat of epoxy even though you apply 2-3 coats of oil based polyurethane. The poly does not seal the wood enough to prevent air bubbles from surfacing into the flood coat.

The seal coat is a small batch of epoxy that is brushed on in a thin layer to seal any pores in the surface and prevent air bubbles from forming in the following flood coat. Our epoxy is used for both your seal coat and your flood coat. You do not need a different product. Both seal and flood coats are always a 50/50 mixture. For the seal coat, mix up a small batch (16 oz. of Resin + 16 oz. of Hardener) and use a very good paint brush (around $10 at the home improvement store) to apply to surface. You will paint it on just as you paint on a wall. This stage is followed by the flood coat , which will flow and self level to 1/8".

That is all,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 pm

@McDave A lot of good info there on sealing the wood. I've put about 3 coats of water based Polycyclic on the wood so far. It's coming along. I'll be sanding and applying more coats. It's very hard to see that stuff going on, but it looks o.k. so far. I hope to get it back in the trailer soon.

So I've been working on sealing stuff up. I got the left side of the trailer panels in place and did something 'creative' with the kitchen area. I also put the metal roofing on the ceiling.

Some pics:

I had to create a little 'wall' for the kitchen paneling.

Back panel in place. I like it more when I saw it in the box store. I figure once I paint it I will like it more.

Side Kitchen Wall in place.

I splurged and bought an HD cabinet for 80 bucks. The back is made of particle board and I wonder how it will hold up. We shall see.

Pics of the metal ceiling.

For the rest of this weekend, I hope to finish the counter, build the cabinet doors for the base of the kitchen counter, and add trim to the ceiling. After this I'll put my focus back on the bathroom in order to wrap things up.

I do like the way the ceiling turned out. Working with the metal isn't too fun because it cuts easily, but it's worth it. I also just discovered I have a short, so you have to be really careful with the metal and your wires.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Well, been a while since I posted, but I thought i'd give a quick update.

I spent about the last 7 months or so full time on the road. I traveled to Nevada, Colorado, California, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and a few other states. I'm back in Florida and doing some major renovations to the trailer. The trailer did well, but it was way too heavy.

Since my truck literally took a beating, here are the upgrades I had to do:
* Bliesten 5100 shocks all the way around
* Firestone Airbargs on the back
* New Rotors and brakes for the truck
* Just added 4 new E Rated Cooper AT3 Tires

The truck rides great again, and I'm more confident that it can handle this trailer better.

For the trailer updates which I am still working on:
* Getting rid of the shower, toilet, and batteries in the front V. Way to much tongue weight. (Already Done)
* Adding the kitchen sink in the V nose. (building the framing now)
* I invested in a whytner 12v freezer/fridge. This way I can use 12V for everything and minimize my inverter use.
* I'm adding two more duracel batteries to my bank.
* I'm adding a 12v tv and an antenna
* Gonna add a Ekrtop couch from Ikea
* Going to rip out the heavy pine floors and drop in some vinyl or laminate
* Getting rid of the heavy metal ceilings. Just to much weight. I'll paint some very thin plywood of that underlayment stuff.
* Removing all plumbing and ac wiring (at least what I can reach. Keeping pine walls in place because it would be costly to remove and replace them)
* Adding a simple inlet so i can bring in 15 amps to an extension cord. Actually two, one on each side.
* For my kitchen sink, i'll use two 5 gallon terry cans for in and out and use my pump to run the water
* I bought a curve porta potty thing from thetford that I've been using. Easier and simpler than a full blank tank setup.

My goal is to have this all done this month. I'll post pictures.

One thing I learned through this process is that I way overdid my build. This go around I will have very simple systems that are easy to troubleshoot on the road and easy to use. If all goes well, I'll be back on the road starting in November.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm

jr9744, Howdy;

Interesting post trip report. Brief yet concise. You've got your plan, looking forward to seeing
how the 2.0 edition works for ya.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:42 am

Hey jr,
Good to hear from you again. So 7 months on the road full time in the CTC. That is one hell of trip. How did you like life west of the Mississippi? We are lucky to live in such an amazing country. You could travel for many years and not see everything. The trick is to get off the beaten path and away from the bright lights and really get a feel for the places you visit. But if you have the time and money you can make some memories that last a lifetime. There are a lot of amazing and wonderful people out there.
Well, it sounds like you have a few things to change, that is to be expected after living in your rig for a while. The weight issue is a constant for all of us. Getting the trailer and Tow Vehicle set up and balanced properly is pretty darn important and will pay off every time you tow to the next destination. Tongue weight and overall weight and balance of the trailer is crucial. Also, you may want to look into trailer brakes and equalizer hitches to take some of the stress off the truck. All in all it sounds like you did pretty good out there. If you, the truck, trailer and dog are mostly in one piece, that is a successful trip. Congratulations and Welcome back.
Here is a link to a tool to help with weight and balance figures. Good Luck!
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculato ... alance.htm

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:49 pm

@hankaye My internet bill is about 350 per month on the road, so I've learned to really be really precise with my use. This amount includes working full-time remotely though, but I still manage to watch Netflix and YouTube with all my devices.

@McDave In fairness, I did lose a cat in Vegas. I was there for about month looking for her before I had to move on. The west and midwest is definetly different than the east coast. People are super friendly in the Midwest, and out west I found it similar to the east coast.

You are so right, get off the beaten path for sure. I found most joy when I found unexpected places and things that I never knew were there.

My trailer has brakes, but apparently I need a brake controller in order to turn them on and use them while towing. I do plan on looking into this and possibly installing it myself. It doesn't look hard in my Nissan Titan. I'll be cheking out the weight calculator in your link.

So I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend, but here are a few pics. The challenge for me is that I'm on a farm in Florida and actually living in the trailer while renovating. Tricky for sure.

Here is my new framing for the nose. Keeping my battery bank in the front. I'll be using the PD4045 for just charging the batteries when connected to shore power.

My new Whytner 12V fridge in place. I still haven't fired her up, but I hope she will perform well.

That little single sink was killing me, I'm now going with a double sink.

Sink cutout and first coat of paint down. Plan to do one more coat of paint and two coats of polycrylic.

I hope to have my sink back installed and running by Wednesday. Life is hard without no running water and a sink.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Well Guys, converting my trailer and living in it full time has proven just to much for me. It was starting to drain me and was really wearing on me. I pulled the plug and bought a new Travel Trailer. Hot showers again!!! Woo hoo.

So, I am now selling my cargo trailer which is in mid conversion. If interested, send me a message. Here is my posting: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=71155

I don't regret taking the path I took. I learned so much while building my own trailer that I am very equipped now to take care of the one I just bought. It's cool contrasting how they built my new trailer with what I did with my old trailer. Systems really are the same for the most part.

I appreciate all the knowledge and info I got on this forum. I do plan to stick around and continue learning.

My new Trailer:
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 pm

jr9744, Howdy;

We all need to find our own path to wander. So, good lookin' RV, that a Jayco? they put out a
fairly good quality product. Did you move your 6v batteries from the CT over to the RV? Great
for when you boondock and if the power goes out at the connection you'll even be able to run
the heater till it comes back on. ;)

Don't become a stranger, hope to see ya posting here-n-there...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

hankaye wrote:Did you move your 6v batteries from the CT over to the RV?

I'm on the fence about this. My 6 batteries would add about 390 pounds. I have to really watch my weight and my payload since I just have a half ton truck (Although with the new tires, airbags, new shocks, and new brake controller, my new trailer tows way better than my cargo trailer did). I think I might sell my batteries and buy one bigger gel battery. The weight on the one I am looking at is about 121 pounds for 200 AH (Renogy batter I believe). I also may only keep two panels and sell the other two. Now my fridge can run off propane when not connected to shore power, so don't think I need that much power.

Yup, it's a 2019 Jayco JayFeather 27RL. I love it so far. So far I have about a month in her, so we'll see how she holds up long term. Everything works so far and I have a 5 year warranty, so well see.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am

Hey jr.
Good to hear from ya.
Nice Rig! That is something you can pretty much live out of full time and it is nice to have warranty and be fully functional and presentable just in case you meet a Lady Snowbird out there. You did a great job with your CTC and you really used it. Be proud of what you did there. Someone will get a great CTC to finish the way they like. Ya, please hang around. You got the experience to help someone else. That's what it's all about.
Happy camping!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions