7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Postby hankaye » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 am

jr9744, Howdy;

You can always use a sliding bolt like one of these;
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Do ... 5yc1vZc6mm
Don't forget to find a way to secure the swinging handle that is already there so you don't end up getting locked inside.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

@McDave Those are some fancy lights. Motion detection and all. I'll keep these in mind. I pulled the trigger on two simpler exterior lights with switches on them. I sorta don't like the switches outside like that, but I figure i'll just have them on a switch on the inside with the rocker switch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZ9P9YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@hankaye The sliding bolts are very simple and will get the job done. I may pick up a couple of these anyways at HD and put them on anyways. If I only use sliding bolts, how do you really secure yourself on the inside? Feels like just a couple sliding bolts would be easy to kick down. What are you using to secure the extra latch outside?

Rainy cold day over here, so I stood inside the trailer and screwed the two cabinets together to make 'one'. Then I reran the plumbing to the fresh tank, and cut out and roughed in the sink.

Took the leap and cut the Walnut Butcher block for the sink. I had a hard time because my framed wall on the right wouldn't let my jigsaw make the corner cuts easily. It was fairly easy to make the cut.

Sink roughed in here. The sink is smaller, but I think it fits the space well. I plan on trimming down the piece I cut out and use it in the sink to make it flat.

I added in the faucet that came with the sink. I bought this sink at HD for about 100 bucks. At this point of the game, I'm really watching my budget and trying to go simpler.

Here is a full view of the sink and underneath.

Here is the plumbing from the inlet reran. I had to cut holes through the cabinets. This is why I screwed them together as one in the center. I still have to run the city water inlet.

Under the sink view with the inlet plumbing. I have to get the P-trap for the sink in to figure out if my placement of the water pump and accumulator will work.

I hope to get the kitchen sink plumbing in place and finish redoing the water pump and accumulator. I may also figure out where to place my sump pump for the sink drainage. This will have to wait until another trip to HD. Then hopefully I can wrap up the bathroom plumbing and get testing soon!
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 am

Looks good jr.,
Sink and countertop very sharp. Reusing the "slug" cutout for a sink topper is a great idea. You may need the counter space at some point. Or use as cutting board etc.
Budget battles are something everybody faces. If you think of this project as open ended and always evolving, (and it will be) then you don't really have to rush and force the budget. Probably best to get it to a useable state so you can enjoy it, but you don't have to have all the bells and whistles at once. Sometimes the delay gives you time to think of alternatives or find a deal or re-evaluate priorities.
Make a wish list and just keep checking ebay and craigslist and watch the sales fliers. Maybe drop a hint or two to the spousal unit before Christmas or birthday etc. Don't let the budget take all the fun out your build. Just chip away at it and before you know it you'll be wondering how you got so much stuff. Try to make wise purchases and think about getting the best quality, even if it means waiting a little longer. Cheap tools are usually no bargain.
You are making great progress. Have fun with it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:08 am

Looking really nice! So exciting to see all the pieces fit together.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 am

jr9744, Howdy;

Excellent job you've done with your sink install :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !

It's very difficult to kick one of those doors in ... as they swing outward to open
they would be kicking against the frame.

I bought 2 of these, one for the front man door and one for the rear cargo door.
http://parts.trailersplus.com/camlock-e ... -included/

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm

@McDave I couldn't have said it any better. I realize now that the process will be ever evolving and I can always fine tune as I understand more what I want. My plan is to get the kitchen, toilet, and shower functional. Then i'll take a trip to FL and see how everything holds up. Then continue to build down there (I have tons of family down there to help. lol)

@flboy
Thanks for the encouragement. It is getting exciting as it is starting to feel like a 'place'.

@hankaye I'm going to pick up a couple of these to see how they work. The ones I bought the hardware needed to be too close. I'd rather put the hardware further apart. I figure I have to put a set on the bottom too since it need to be fully sealed, so I'll try these and my extra lock on the bottom.

As I went to HD today, I figured I would pick up some locks and see how they work. First issue I ran into was color. Silver, Bronze, Gold.... I spent about 15 bucks and picked up three sets. I installed two. It came out o.k, but my door is just not very thick or solid. I may just cut a piece of plywood out the size of the inside door and slap that on there. Then put the locks and sliding hardware.

Also, who knew that 1 1/2 Inch for regular plumbing is different than the 1 1/2 inch you need for your P Trap coming out of the sink. Sheesh, another trip to HD.

The table I resanded and repurposed to give me the thickness to my door to attach the locks.

My handy work when it was raining yesterday and I tried to close my door. I tied the electrical wire with a clamp.

Two of the latches I installed. They do the job for now.

Outside view of inside door.

Two of the three locks in use:

Thankfully this will keep the door at least closed now when it rains!!

After another trip to HD, I hope to get that kitchen plubming in place.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Just a heads up. Some RV plumbing is 1.25" . My shower drain was. I don't believe I've ever seen that in residential. :?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm

So managed to get some more of the plumbing redone under the sink (Only 2 more trips to HD). Kitchen sink is fully done with the exception of the gray water plumbing and the hot water from the heater.

I sanded the sink opening some to clean up the cut. The sink still seems oddly a little crooked to me, but I may be able to straighten it once I put on the under counter fasteners.

I used plumbers putty on the sink drain and under the faucet. I attached the 1/2 lines. The blue adapters on here are wrong for use with 1/2 pex.

Water hose inlet hooked up and pump and accumulator both hooked up.

Pex going to sink for cold water hooked up. Notice the gold 1/2 to 1/2 pex adapter I had to buy.

P Trap

Cold water to the bathroom.

Full view of the kitchen sink.

Now I have to figure out where the final resting place for the sump pump is. I really hope to be able to test the kitchen and bathroom plumbing this weekend. We shall see.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am

jr9744 wrote:So managed to get some more of the plumbing redone under the sink (Only 2 more trips to HD). Kitchen sink is fully done with the exception of the gray water plumbing and the hot water from the heater.
Notice the gold 1/2 to 1/2 pex adapter I had to buy.

Haha I am beginning to think of Home Depot as my second home. Standing joke between myself and the wife is when she asks where I am going I say " My girl friends" that is if she doesn't beat me to the punchline.
You would think those brass parts were made out of real gold, sheesh, I wince every time I pick one up. Any how, it's looking good, I think my sink is the next project.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:54 am

@Iconfabul8 I'm on a first name basis with a few of the employee's at HD. I think now people try to avoid me because they know I'll ask 1,000 questions when I see them...lol. My new game with HD is, "let's see how low I can make my bill".

If feels like I'm in for 50 bucks each time I make a visit.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 am

If that HD stood for Harley Davidson you'd never make it out of there for $50, cuz everyone knows HD really stands for "Hundred Dollar" t-shirts. If you've been to a stealership lately, you know what I mean. .. :shock:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:02 pm

jr9744 wrote:@Iconfabul8 I'm on a first name basis with a few of the employee's at HD. I think now people try to avoid me because they know I'll ask 1,000 questions when I see them...lol. My new game with HD is, "let's see how low I can make my bill".
If feels like I'm in for 50 bucks each time I make a visit.

Haha thats funny because I do the same thing. And I use the same number "Let's see if I can get out of here for under $50."
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I met my goal of getting the kitchen plumbing by today. Still not tested, but all in place.

I also made my last upper cabinet for the kitchen. Painted the first coat of paint on the kitchen top cabinets. Made and put a first coat on the face frame for the upper cabinets. I also put the black tank outlet plumbing on. I put the water heater where it will go and ran the header plumbing (Only sink and shower for now).

Now I hope to really turn my attention to the bathroom plumbing. My goal is to have the bathroom plumbing and the bathroom toilet and shower installed. I'll make cabinet doors and woodwork as I need downtime from the plumbing and bathroom. I'm starting to find the woodworking relaxing.

Second cabinet for the upper kitchen made and first coat of paint applied.

Sink drain leading to the sump pump.

Sump pump that will send the drainage from the sink and shower to the gray tank. I kinda have an issue because my fridge takes up most of that left side. Still trying to figure out how to accommodate the sump pump. It has to be layed flat to work.

Water heater in place. I put it high on the ceiling to make the venting easier. I still have to figure out where to put the propane tank. May just put it right under. I'll had all this with cabinets and such. I also have to move that outlet since the shower will be there.

Hot water to kitchen sink and outlet for shower.

Hot water coming in and connected to sink

Black tank outlet in place.

Front view of black tank outlet.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 am

If your sink is high enough to plumb directly into the gray water tank I would do it. No sense in plugging up the sump strainer with food stuff if you don't have to.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:If your sink is high enough to plumb directly into the gray water tank I would do it. No sense in plugging up the sump strainer with food stuff if you don't have to.

I didn't even give this any thought. The main reason for plumbing the sink to the sump pump is because the gray tank is inside on the other side of the trailer.

But, if I move the gray tank under the kitchen sink, then I can plumb directly. I'll have to move the fridge across the way. Then I may be able to put the sump pump in the shower where it really should go. Only caveat is if my gray tank will fit under the second cabinet in the kitchen. Let me go measure......lol
jr9744
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions