7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 pm

John61CT wrote:Old school: just toss the fine grounds in the cup with boiling water, stir a few times, let it stew, settle and cool.

Drink from the top, stop when you get those lovely dregs in your teeth.

There you go! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I don't have this issue- I don't drink coffee. But here is we're I'm weird again (still) I like the mocha coffee milk. And I just had ice cream the flavor,coffee lovers. Memorial Weekend the camp store opens at my moms. I went down today and opened the place for her. So of course I had to go get an ice cream cone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue May 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Howdy All;

As for the coffee thing ... I bought one of these,
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... ffee%2Bpot
many years ago,when it was 1/2 what they're asking for it now. Mr. C. is ok, but
to put the aroma in the air, save 1/2 the time, better flavor can not beat it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 am

While I was working on the coffee issue, I went through the stuff in the basement and found several coffee pots. There was at least 4 electric percolators from the 50's and 60's, a giant percolator and dispenser 30 cup West bend, 3 different Drip-o-laters from the 1920's, 50's and 60's and one very interesting pot. I thought it was just a serving decanter from the shape of it and almost passed it by. But it had this big green glass bulb on top like a percolator would have. It sits atop a pedestal foot and has a wood handle and a very fancy spout, so I thought it was an electric pot, but I couldn't find any way of plugging it in. When I got a close look at it I found the makers mark and date. It's a Universal No. 714 made by Landers, Frary & Clark New Britton, Conn.. Made May 22, 1894... and it is AMAZING!!!!

I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to work on a gas stove without tipping over or lighting the handle on fire.
And then....Bingo! The light came on when I looked at our stove. It is an antique 6 burner Heartland gas, but not as old as the pot. This pot was built for the old iron flat top wood burning stoves similar to the one pictured, but full sized for the kitchen, the one pictured is a laundry stove for heating the basement to dry laundry in the winter and heating irons.

The pedestal foot does all the work, and it works GREAT!! I have a alcohol stove that I use to heat just that foot and it starts to perk in less than a minute. It takes about 7min. to make 8 cups. Half the time of Mr. Coffee. and it's good coffee.
How cool is that?
If you notice the coffee can the pot is sitting on, it's vintage as well. May of 1970.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 am

You're going to need a bigger trailer
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 am

Wow.. Nice find McDave. Sounds like you have a lot of old stuff in the basement. Reminds me of my Granparent's basement. They never tossed away stuff and it was a walk back through time. Always fun! Thier barn was even more interesting.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 am

That basement is like the house and garage, at the Farm. Bosses mom was a collector, it's like a museum. She's been gone for years and nobody touches anything. Her Granada is still parked in garage too.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 am

The whole house is a time capsule. Honestly, if you didn't go out to the barn or shop you wouldn't know I even lived here. Most of the stuff in here has been here since the thirty's, maybe longer. This is one of the treasures I found while remodelling. It's very special, the territorial judge who built this house brought it with him from Helena, same year the house was built.
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=4156&image_id=148549&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=4156&image_id=148550&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=4156&image_id=148551&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:56 am

Wow.. That is awesome. I love old maps and globes.. That looks to be in nice shape too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 1895.... was a different world back then. Amazing how far technology has come in 120+ years.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 pm

You guys are too funny. Coffee is a serious topic around here!

Well, got my freshwater and gray water tank today. I let my emotions get the best of me and order these tanks without measuring and thinking it through too much. I was starting to think about putting the tanks under like everyone else, but I think my freshwater is just too fat now.

Gray water I think is fine, but the freshwater is super fat. I looked at the dimensions, and didn't think it was to bad. Much wider in person though. I'll make it work.

Both made by Barker Manufacturing Company

Fresh Water, 30 G 27x16x21

Gray Water, 20G 32x12x12

7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Since I'll be picking up my trailer in the next few days, I've been really researching about design and how I use my space. After seeing many layouts on this forum and around the web, I've decided to change my layout to make better use of my space.

Here is my modified layout: (Note, I decided to build my cabinets and drawers to maximize space and make my layout work for exactly what I need/want in the trailer)

Top View

Left Side

Right Side

Back
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Well, took the trip to Georgia and picked up my new trailer!!

Some things I learned:

- Jack Knifing is real. I put a very small dent in the front of my trailer while trying to back it up
- 7 x 16 really isn't as big as you think.
- Go with a quality trailer. I skimped here and regret it a tad. But gonna make the best out of what I have
- Towing is scary if you've never done it. I went from Georgia back to Maryland and learn so much about towing and my truck. Good experience.
- Your tow vehicle matters! While my truck handle the empty trailer with no problem, it averaged 10 gallons per mile. So yeah, I love my truck, but my next truck will be better on fuel.
- Cars will and trucks will pretty much stay away from you when you first learn to tow. All the cars on the highway gave me super space and moved out of my way. I was having a hard time keeping that trailer between the lines. I got better during the end of the trip.

Without further ado, here is my baby:

Side view with Truck:

Side with Door:

Side Door open:

Ramp from the inside:

Inside pic from Rear:

Inside:

Ramp:

Roof Vent:

Now the fun begins. First step is taking off those panels and seeing what is underneath there.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Congratulations on a very nice looking trailer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect much better gas mileage unless you get a Diesel. My guess is you will get about the same MPG fully loaded (unless in the hills) . Most of the energy is spent pulling that mass through the air which does not change when loaded and these newer trucks are optimized for gas mileage when empty and stock. I'll get anywhere between 18-21 MPG with my F150 4WD (302V8) depending on my speed and winds, but when you drop the trailer on... mileage goes down 40 to 50%. Loaded or not seems to make little difference (it is flat here). That is normal from what I understand.

You can improve the handling behind the truck with a sway bar and load balancing hitch (will make it easier for you), but how you balance the build/load will make the biggest difference.I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The empty trailer seemed to pull worse for me . They are relatively light when loaded and the wind and passing trucks seem to push them around a lot more. You will get use to it quick and it will be easier to keep it all in one lane.

It is kinda late for you now, but I had an extended tongue put on my trailer to make the backing up easier and it also prevents denting up the front with the bumper if you back up too sharp. I learned that from my first build. You will remember that if you ever do this again.

I look forward to your build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by flboy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Unless you go diesel that MPG is about normal for a pickup. Don't believe all the hype about great towing MPG.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm

flboy wrote:Congratulations on a very nice looking trailer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect much better gas mileage unless you get a Diesel. My guess is you will get about the same MPG fully loaded (unless in the hills) . Most of the energy is spent pulling that mass through the air which does not change when loaded and these newer trucks are optimized for gas mileage when empty and stock. I'll get anywhere between 18-21 MPG with my F150 4WD (302V8) depending on my speed and winds, but when you drop the trailer on... mileage goes down 40 to 50%. Loaded or not seems to make little difference (it is flat here). That is normal from what I understand.

You can improve the handling behind the truck with a sway bar and load balancing hitch (will make it easier for you), but how you balance the build/load will make the biggest difference.I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The empty trailer seemed to pull worse for me . They are relatively light when loaded and the wind and passing trucks seem to push them around a lot more. You will get use to it quick and it will be easier to keep it all in one lane.

It is kinda late for you now, but I had an extended tongue put on my trailer to make the backing up easier and it also prevents denting up the front with the bumper if you back up too sharp. I learned that from my first build. You will remember that if you ever do this again.

I look forward to your build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good to know that it will stay around 10 MPG when loaded. I was thinking to myself that loaded I'd probably have to stop every couple miles for gas!

I do plan on getting that sway bar and load balancing hitch. I know they have some at Harbor Frieight. Any recommend? Or they all about the same?

Padilen wrote:Unless you go diesel that MPG is about normal for a pickup. Don't believe all the hype about great towing MPG.

Diesel is super expensive, so probably not going to happen anytime soon!

So here is my first challenge, I can't get the screws out of the plywood. The trim came off easily. For the screws, everything I use strips them. They seem to be really cheap screws. Anyone have ideas on how to get these out? I have a regular drill, a driver drill, drill bits, and that special tool to get out stripped screws. Nothing really worked. I also tried with a black drill bit to drill it out, and it just broke this in half. I did not think my first issue would be taking out screws....sheesh

Screw stripped with regular drill:

A good screw before I chopped it up:

stripper tool

Tried with special drill bits to remove bad screws:

Also, any special items you guys recommend for securing the trailer? I mean more then just the locks. I've seen people put things on wheels and do stuff like that. Any of those worthwhile?
jr9744
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions