7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby jr9744 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi All,

I started receiving parts for my first trailer conversion, so I figured I would start my build journal (Super excited!!). I will live in the trailer full-time while doing a combination of rv parks, national forests, and boondocking. I'll be traveling with 1 dog and two cats (And with a 16 year old who no longer is interested in hanging out with Dad).

Here is the details in what I am going to attempt to build:

Trailer: 7x7x16 V Nose Enclosed trailer. Rear ramp and Side door. Dual Axle, electric brakes. Bought from Trailer Country off ebay (I know, it will probably be cheaply built, but the price was right and I liked the size. I also figure I have to harden it anyways.) Will pick up in GA on 6/2.

What I want Inside:
- AC (30 Amps)/DC for electricity (Bought and have PD4045KV).
- 300 Watt Solar System. (Bought and have, Renogy kit. Need batteries)
- Flushable bathroom, shower, and kitchen with sink. Only need propane dual burners. (Bought Shurflo 4008, Shurflo accumulator 182-200, Shurflo filter 255-213, and Ecotemp FVI-12-LP High Capacity propane tankles water heater For shower)
- I like light, so I will add two windows on the side, one window on a built wall at the back of the trailer and one skylight
- Trying to go for an open concept. I know, with such small space it's hard, but I will try.
- TV and multiple monitors. I telecommute, so this is required.
- Fridge/Freezer for food
- Will insulate the whole trailer including the floors
- Propane system. Still need to research this.
- Need to research an antenna so I can pick up good wifi from different locations.
- Will attempt to make the back door a 'patio' and screen it in so the cats can go out there. Not quite sure how to accomplish this yet.

Also, still will do research, but would love any recommendations on the following:

- 6v batteries, any brand better than others? Going 6v because I read on the forums you basically get more bang for your buck.
- Window AC Unit? Any one have a preferred one I can research? Ideally energy efficient and works well to keep me cool.
- Fresh/Gray/Black tanks. I've been looking on ebay and they seem cheap. Any recommendations on tanks or suppliers? I have no size in mind, just probably want 20 gallons or greater.
- Any reccomendations on where to find good windows? I know the window for the back will be easy cause I can use a regular house window. Not to sure about the windows for the side of the rv.
- Flushable toilets? Any good ones to look for? I plan on using a black tank and placing it right under the toilet. I like the idea of cassette toilets with removable tanks, but they sure are pricey.
- Also, I don't see this talked about much on the forums. But how will I know that once the water leaves my shower or sink that it will actually make it to the gray tanks? What if it doesn't just 'flow' there? Do people use extra pumps for this? Or just design it a certain way?

I look forward to journaling my build and learning and asking many questions as I go through this process. I know there is so much I don't know yet, and really hope the vets can guide me when I need it.

Below first rough designs are below. Any feedback or anything that looks off please let me know! I didn't really consider weight distribution too much. But I put the water tanks on both axles and tried to spread stuff out.

7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Re: 7x7x16 V Nose Cargo Trailer Conversion, First Build

Postby Padilen » Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm

You shouldn't need a pump for gray water. Install the waste/drain lines with a little "pitch" in them to tank. The tank has to be lower than your waste/drain lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm

jr9744 wrote:Going 6v because I read on the forums you basically get more bang for your buck.

​The best value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) GC-2, deep cycle golf cart batteries, from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

That's for your first bank anyway. Learn to put in the proper infrastructure to treat them right could last for years.

Do that right then you can spend more per AH and be confident of getting at least a decade.

If you murder them in under 18 months, buy the same and try again.

Google for energy audit calculators, actually test as much you can on a killawatt or battery monitor with the first pair, come up with a solid conservative AH per day figure and we can help with how big a bank you need.

Boondocking many days at a time or mostly shore power?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Padilen wrote:You shouldn't need a pump for gray water. Install the waste/drain lines with a little "pitch" in them to tank. The tank has to be lower than your waste/drain lines.

Padilen,

I figured the tank would have to be lower. I was planning on putting it on the opposite side of the fresh water tank over the axle(Inside the trailer), but just don't see how that would be lower than the pipes coming from the shower/kitchen sink. I think i'll have to put the tank under the trailer which really seems hard to do, but I think it just may be the best bet.

Any pics of someone who shows how they do the gray water 'pitch'? I've searched but haven't seen too many pictures on here of it.

Thanks for the info.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:02 pm

John61CT wrote:
jr9744 wrote:Going 6v because I read on the forums you basically get more bang for your buck.

​The best value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) GC-2, deep cycle golf cart batteries, from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

That's for your first bank anyway. Learn to put in the proper infrastructure to treat them right could last for years.

Do that right then you can spend more per AH and be confident of getting at least a decade.

If you murder them in under 18 months, buy the same and try again.

Google for energy audit calculators, actually test as much you can on a killawatt or battery monitor with the first pair, come up with a solid conservative AH per day figure and we can help with how big a bank you need.

Boondocking many days at a time or mostly shore power?

John61CT,

I found the battery here: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell- ... 3590228.ip Not bad for 85 bucks. The site says 25 amps @ 395 minutes which sounds pretty good. I'm gonna get these. Now I just have to figure out how many I need. I did get a killawatt machine yesterday and starting measuring the amps/volts for my appliances. The main thing I will have is my three monitors and work laptop that I use 10+ hours a day(I was gonna cut down to 2 monitors, but I don't think there that bad now). All 4 devices only use 1.4 Amps or 168 watts. I thought that was pretty low. That is sound advice, I will figure out my AH per day before I get the batteries.

Since I've never even stood in an rv or went 'camping' before, not 100% sure whether i'll be boondocking more or on shore power more. I really like the idea of being self sufficient for as long as I can while keeping all my comforts and being able to freely roam around (Of course not really freely because I always will need a internet connection for work which I know will be a challenge. But i've seen others do it like technomadia on youtube). So i'll have to play with the whole day variable in the calculator to see how long I can go with my AH and if the cost of those batteries are even feasible. I think it will all depend on my solar system and if I size it correctly (and can afford the battery bank). A week at a time would be awesome though. If not, I'll be onshore and offshore as I start.

Thanks for the advice.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm

It's only about 1/4 inch per 10 foot run for sewage. That's so the liquid doesn't "run" away from the solids. Not so much an issue with just gray. If you are having walls or cabinets run your plumbing in those and it's hidden. Many different ways to do it. Here is what I use. But I do not have a gray tank. My sink and shower drain onto ground or if not allowed into a portable RV waste tank.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plumbing/Ca ... AjDs8P8HAQ

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Padilen wrote:It's only about 1/4 inch per 10 foot run for sewage. That's so the liquid doesn't "run" away from the solids. Not so much an issue with just gray. If you are having walls or cabinets run your plumbing in those and it's hidden. Many different ways to do it. Here is what I use. But I do not have a gray tank. My sink and shower drain onto ground or if not allowed into a portable RV waste tank.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plumbing/Ca ... AjDs8P8HAQ

That's not bad for the sewage. I'm less concerned about the sewage since I plan to mount that underneath directly under or near the toilet. I'm more worried about the shower. Mainly the shower because it'll drain down and have to go back up to the gray water tank on the other side. The more I think about this, I think underneath may be the best bet for the gray tank. I also like the idea of no gray water tank because that sounds really simple. I have the item above on my list. I'll keep thinking about the placement for the gray tank.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue May 23, 2017 6:03 am

Did you know you can get a combo shower/tank/toilet. That is what I have. Depending on how tall you are and how high you ceilings will be it maybe an option. Here is a source.
http://www.ameri-kart.com/Home.aspx

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Padilen wrote:Did you know you can get a combo shower/tank/toilet.

The funny part about this is that I searched hi and low online for a 'wet bathroom combination set' for the rv and really had a hard time finding anything. I guess my wording was off. I guess there called 'Combo Pans' (Although curious if they have combo pans that include the toilet).

I like the site and the variety, but I don't like that they don't list prices. Any idea how much roughly these combo pans go for? I did some research with that name in other places, and I found this on ebay for $393: https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=111957984534&&&chn=ps

$393 feels pricey, but I will pay for simple solutions like this. Now the only thing I have to figure out is cost and what dimensions I would need. Thanks for the info!!
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue May 23, 2017 2:22 pm

They make them in my state and I had to order from a distributor on the west cost. Yes the are pricy. I think my little one was 250-300. Do you mean the toilet pre mounted? If you mean just the mount then yes that's what mine is.
My build on here is it's sort of mine. I don't have any pics on phone to share. I can snap one tonight. I'm camping in my drive because I have guests in my home.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Padilen wrote:. Do you mean the toilet pre mounted?

Yeah, it would simplify my life if I can find a shower base with toilet hole,black tank, and the toilet to use with it. But honestly, just the pan gets me halfway there. I was planning on building the shower base and all that good stuff. Now I won't have to.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue May 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Here is mine. Its only a 5 gallon tank that's why I have the portable too.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Padilen wrote:Here is mine. Its only a 5 gallon tank that's why I have the portable too.

It looks good. I notice some vent the black tank up through the roof, and others do it through the bottom. Any difference between these two? Is one better than the other? Also, what did you use for the sides of the bathroom?
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Umm, I don't think it can vent down. Mine goes out high in the wall. My walls are FRP, Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic comes in 4x8 sheets.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Padilen wrote:Umm, I don't think it can vent down. Mine goes out high in the wall. My walls are FRP, Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic comes in 4x8 sheets.

I'm gonna have to research if it can go down or not then. Down seems so much easier. But I won't do it if it's not recommended. I've seen a few builds on this forum where people do that. I'll probably go with FRP too, I just have to lookup the cost of it.

I just found your build journal and read through it. Pretty nice how you did that pulley system for your bed. I considered that, but it looks kinda hard and you have to maintain it. I also saw how you did the bathroom, pretty interesting. And I think I want an awning now too. Never wanted one before, but they look so nice. Yours came out good.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions