8.5x16 version 2

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

8.5x16 version 2

Postby rmcrist » Sun May 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey all! Thought I would share some pics from my wife and I remodeling / redoing our trailer. After our first version, shown below, we learned a few things over 2 years and realized how we actually use it. We thought about getting a brand new trailer and starting from scratch, but a longer one wouldn't fit in the tiny driveways we have here in Dallas! Anyways, thanks to all for the help and info.

The version before

After tear out

ImageImage
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Re: 8.5x16 version 2

Postby flboy » Sun May 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow... Nicely done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That must have been hard ripping up the first job... but the second looks even better! What are those two round pipes with the covers in the rear head wall of the trailer? I am just curious.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

8.5x16 version 2

Postby rmcrist » Sun May 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Ripping out the old one was "demo day"...we were so excited about the new design and frustrated from the old one that we didn't mind it. The two pipes in the rear behind the toilet are actually just drain pipes from the sink that need to be covered. I have a little left to do in he bathroom area

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby rmcrist » Sun May 28, 2017 12:51 pm

rmcrist wrote:Ripping out the old one was "demo day"...we were so excited about the new design and frustrated from the old one that we didn't mind it. The two pipes in the rear behind the toilet are actually just drain pipes from the sink that need to be covered. I have a little left to do in he bathroom area

I just reread your question. Are you talking about the Storage area? Those are actually drink holders on a collapsed set of chairs.

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 pm

rmcrist wrote:
rmcrist wrote:Ripping out the old one was "demo day"...we were so excited about the new design and frustrated from the old one that we didn't mind it. The two pipes in the rear behind the toilet are actually just drain pipes from the sink that need to be covered. I have a little left to do in he bathroom area

I just reread your question. Are you talking about the Storage area? Those are actually drink holders on a collapsed set of chairs.

Just looked at the picture again on my PC screen with reading glasses on. Duh! :-) Thanks for humoring me.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 am

@ Don,
Those reading glasses are getting to be constant companions for our generation. Know what I mean Grandpa?

Hey rmcrist,
That looks real good. I'm not ready to rip it out and start over, yet, but I've learned a lot since this adventure started and there are some things I might like to change. Number 1 would be to start with a taller trailer. (Interior height 7' would be really nice for people my size) I give you all the credit in the world for having that kind of spunk. But hey, life is short, get what you want...just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby rebar » Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 am

Great work.. But what was so frustrating about the first floor plan?

IMO 16x8 is perfect for two.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby rmcrist » Mon May 29, 2017 8:18 am

McDave wrote:@ Don,
Those reading glasses are getting to be constant companions for our generation. Know what I mean Grandpa?

Hey rmcrist,
That looks real good. I'm not ready to rip it out and start over, yet, but I've learned a lot since this adventure started and there are some things I might like to change. Number 1 would be to start with a taller trailer. (Interior height 7' would be really nice for people my size) I give you all the credit in the world for having that kind of spunk. But hey, life is short, get what you want...just sayin'

McDave

I hear you McDave! Would love to have a taller trailer as well as outdoor storage compartments etc. Our goal is to not have any debt when camping. We plan to gradually upgrade using equity in each build for the "perfect" build.

We just got back from Lake O' the pines in Texas and had a great time there.

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby rmcrist » Mon May 29, 2017 8:24 am

rebar wrote:

Great work.. But what was so frustrating about the first floor plan?

IMO 16x8 is perfect for two.

Thanks Rebar. The old layout didn't really allow for storage for the other "stuff" you bring when camping - i.e. Grill, chairs, etc. we also didn't have a bathroom etc. it was our first time building anything, so it was put together in a fashion that wasn't going to stand the test of time. I have been practicing my wood working skills so I felt it was a gear time to practice building better cabinets and other millwork items.

And yes the 8.5x16 is perfect for two. We took the floor plan from the airstream flying cloud 19 and found it to be really suitable.

Thanks!!

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions