Insurance on trailer?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Insurance on trailer?

Postby rmcrist » Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 am

Hey all!
Have any of you been able to insure your trailer? If so, who did you go with and how is it setup? In speaking with Nationwide, since the cargo trailer now has living quarters and the work was done by myself, there is not a way to insure it as an RV or a cargo trailer.

If anyone has tips, would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Re: Insurance on trailer?

Postby dancam » Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm

rmcrist wrote:Hey all!
Have any of you been able to insure your trailer? If so, who did you go with and how is it setup? In speaking with Nationwide, since the cargo trailer now has living quarters and the work was done by myself, there is not a way to insure it as an RV or a cargo trailer.

If anyone has tips, would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Im interested in this as well. Im sure you know that your tow vehicles insurance covers liability but im a bit scared to ask my insurance company about coverage for damage like theft, hail and collissions. I was told by someone just the other week that your house insurance can cover it but i havent checked.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Newt182 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:25 pm

I have mine insured as a cargo trailer and since my CTC isn't off the ground yet, that's all it really is at the moment. But as mentioned above it only covers things such as theft since my tow vehicle insurance covers it while in tow. But my policy also only covers the cost of the trailer and not the contents so why would it matter if it's been converted? None of the additions i make to it will be covered anyway. If it's stolen it covers the value of the trailer, and since it's gone at that point the insurance company doesn't know that I converted the inside to living quarters. I am curious how the tow vehicle's coverage would cover it in the case of an accident while in tow where it gets totaled. It costs me about $28/year to cover it.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 2:52 pm

I just called my Insurance agent at Allstate and told them what I have and that I wanted it insured for $25,000. They wrote a rider onto my truck insurance policy. It is costing me ~$350/yr... I'll reduce it at some point when it gets older. I have much less $$ (about half that) in my CTC.. but counting my labor.... $25,000 is probably low.

The agent asked me the Manufacturer name and size.. but very little else. The price of coverage was based on the dollar amount of coverage as I'd expect.

I didn't shop around, so I don't know if I can do better... I just know I cannot replace that thing for $25,000 if I went to buy a store bought one with the same capabilities and build quality. But It is better to limit my losses in any case.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:32 pm

flboy wrote:I just called my Insurance agent at Allstate and told them what I have and that I wanted it insured for $25,000. They wrote a rider onto my truck insurance policy. It is costing me ~$350/yr... I'll reduce it at some point when it gets older. I have much less $$ (about half that) in my CTC.. but counting my labor.... $25,000 is probably low.

The agent asked me the Manufacturer name and size.. but very little else. The price of coverage was based on the dollar amount of coverage as I'd expect.

I didn't shop around, so I don't know if I can do better... I just know I cannot replace that thing for $25,000 if I went to buy a store bought one with the same capabilities and build quality. But It is better to limit my losses in any case.

Sweet, I've been wondering this also. I use Allstate for my truck, so I will call and do the same. But $25,000???? This number makes me nervous. I'm trying to keep my build under $10,000.....
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 pm

jr9744 wrote:
flboy wrote:I just called my Insurance agent at Allstate and told them what I have and that I wanted it insured for $25,000. They wrote a rider onto my truck insurance policy. It is costing me ~$350/yr... I'll reduce it at some point when it gets older. I have much less $$ (about half that) in my CTC.. but counting my labor.... $25,000 is probably low.

Sweet, I've been wondering this also. I use Allstate for my truck, so I will call and do the same. But $25,000???? This number makes me nervous. I'm trying to keep my build under $10,000.....

Labour man, 1000 hours x$50/hr is $50,000.
Some of us value our time little, some a lot but 1000 hours isnt a big number for some of these build either.

dancam
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 pm

dancam wrote:
jr9744 wrote:Labour man, 1000 hours x$50/hr is $50,000.
Some of us value our time little, some a lot but 1000 hours isnt a big number for some of these build either.

Fair enough. My number was going to be figured out on the dollar amount to replace the trailer and everything in it. I figured the labor was a job of love since it appears that everyone who does this is super passionate about it and labor just part of the process.

We'll talk more once I actually finish my build. I may feel totally different once I've went through it.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

jr9744 wrote:

LOL.. my build was not near $25,000.. I doubled it for my labor. If I was to buy one on the market like I now have... I couldn't touch it for $25,000.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:58 pm

flboy wrote:

LOL.. my build was not near $25,000.. I doubled it for my labor. If I was to buy one on the market like I now have... I couldn't touch it for $25,000.

Whew!!! Allright. Was starting to think I severely overlooked something. Good to know.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't even need to call and ask. Mines not in my name, so it's only covered when towing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm

We live in Florida and added ours to our Geico policy. I think the cost is maybe $100 per year, if that.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby rmcrist » Tue May 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks for the insight. Did you tell them that you converted it to a camper or did you just leave as a cargo trailer with "contents" in it?

I've been with Nationwide for 12 years so maybe it's time to switch. Ahhh the haste when you also have a house on the policy

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 am

I told them I converted it to a RV trailer. They didn't seem to care other than wanting to know how much coverage I wanted. Maybe that is how they see it? A cargo trailer with a lot of contents. I'll read the details later this week and let you know.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Progressive refuses to insure a 'Home Built' :(
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rmcrist » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am

After calling numerous companies I've learned that Texas has very strict and specific rules for self-built campers. It has to be done by a licensed professional In order to be insured. For those of you who insured it as commercial, do you own a business that it is tied to?

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions