Build Cabinets or Buy Cabinets from Big Box

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Build Cabinets or Buy Cabinets from Big Box

Postby ffemtp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am

I also debated on which to do. In the end, I am very glad I built my own (first time ever building a cabinet!). All the cabinets are completely customized and therefore eliminated all waste of room. They were also considerably cheaper.

ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Re: Build Cabinets or Buy Cabinets from Big Box

Postby ChefConroy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

I was going to build mine. Then I found two bathroom vanities at an architectural salvage shop in Seattle (Second Use) for $25 a piece. Ended up being a no-brainer.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jr9744 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:25 pm

@fftemtp The cabinets look good. I like your counter too. I'm also considering getting that same gray floor you have. I was originally thinking about wood planks, but I read that if water gets under them or on them that it is hard to fix and your floor will get damaged. Don't really want that.

Appreciate everyone posting their cabinets. Just looking at them and knowing others tackled this job with success is making me more confident by the day.

@Jscwerve I would buy some if the price was right too. Curious where your from, cause up here in Maryland, everything seems to be expensive.

I was considering these on Craiglist for 500 which is a whole kitchen plus counter and sink. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mat/6142723842.html But I do want to maximize my space and learn the new skills which is what I'm more after.

Habitat for Humanity keeps on coming up. So i'm going to make sure I pass by there once I get into the finishing parts.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:44 pm

jr9744 wrote:@fftemtp The cabinets look good. I like your counter too. I'm also considering getting that same gray floor you have. I was originally thinking about wood planks, but I read that if water gets under them or on them that it is hard to fix and your floor will get damaged. Don't really want that.

Appreciate everyone posting their cabinets. Just looking at them and knowing others tackled this job with success is making me more confident by the day.

@Jscwerve I would buy some if the price was right too. Curious where your from, cause up here in Maryland, everything seems to be expensive.

I was considering these on Craiglist for 500 which is a whole kitchen plus counter and sink. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mat/6142723842.html But I do want to maximize my space and learn the new skills which is what I'm more after.

Habitat for Humanity keeps on coming up. So i'm going to make sure I pass by there once I get into the finishing parts.

A couple of additional thoughts on pre-made cabinets:
1. If the cabinets are built with "cases" - that is plywood or particle board sides - it is not that hard to cut down or reduce the depth of the cabinet for cabinets with doors only (without drawers.) Drawers could be cut down too but that is a lot more work plus you would need to purchase new drawer slides.
2. Even if you don't use the cabinet cases and face frames, if you can get the cabinets cheap enough and if the doors are sized for what you are building, use the doors from the purchased cabinets and build new face frames and cases/side rails.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jr9744 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm

aggie79 wrote:
jr9744 wrote:@fftemtp The cabinets look good. I like your counter too. I'm also considering getting that same gray floor you have. I was originally thinking about wood planks, but I read that if water gets under them or on them that it is hard to fix and your floor will get damaged. Don't really want that.

A couple of additional thoughts on pre-made cabinets:
1. If the cabinets are built with "cases" - that is plywood or particle board sides - it is not that hard to cut down or reduce the depth of the cabinet for cabinets with doors only (without drawers.) Drawers could be cut down too but that is a lot more work plus you would need to purchase new drawer slides.
2. Even if you don't use the cabinet cases and face frames, if you can get the cabinets cheap enough and if the doors are sized for what you are building, use the doors from the purchased cabinets and build new face frames and cases/side rails.

That's a good point. I think flyboy mentioned that the hinges and cabinet hardware were some of the bigger expenses. I'll keep my eye out for cheap cabinets or ones that have pieces I can just steal or use.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions