Where did you put black and gray tanks?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Where did you put black and gray tanks?

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:19 pm

My featherlite toyhauler had waste water tanks up between the floor trusses, but they widened the spacing from 16" to over 24" for them to fit. Fresh water tank was 55 gallon in the trailer.

Has anyone converted a cargo to camper or toyhauler and installed black and gray tanks between the floor trusses?

Thanks!
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Where did you put black and gray tanks?

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Yes I have. Pics in my build thread towards the June time frame last year (link below). My floor trusses are 16" on center so I found 15" wide tanks that are 6' long. They are about 25 gallons each and came out of an old Elkhorn truck camper. They fit perfectly with some hangers. Yes they were used (but well rinsed)... by who gives a crap, I am not sleeping in there. . :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498&start=150

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks flboy..

I take it, tanks which fit between 16" floor trusses aren't very hard to source. But is there a general rule of thumb of capacity? Meaning, if I have a 60 gallon fresh water tank, should my gray water tank be 50 gallon and the black maybe 20 gallon?

Did you install black and gray tank level sensors?

97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:12 pm

rebar wrote:Thanks flboy..

I take it, tanks which fit between 16" floor trusses aren't very hard to source. But is there a general rule of thumb of capacity? Meaning, if I have a 60 gallon fresh water tank, should my gray water tank be 50 gallon and the black maybe 20 gallon?

I do have more fresh water capacity than I have gray and Blackwater holding tanks (64 Gallons plus 6 in the HW Tank) . I won't hesitate to pull the drain on the gray water in a remote place if I absolutely need to. It is just water and bio degradable soap residues from doing dishes and taking showers. The gray water tank is about 30 Gallons. The BW is about 24 gallons due the taper it has. The BW tank is large enough to hold me over for weeks boon docking. It only gets drained at proper facilities. I am sure there are rules of thumb regarding the tank ratios... but I had the tanks and I intended to have a lot of fresh water on board for extended trips later on. I also have an outside shower that can be used for various things... so some water will shed outside anyhow.

I have sensors for all the tanks and will install the Fresh Water and Gray Water sensors in the near future. Everyone is telling me don't waste my time on the BW tanks as it gets fouled quickly and gives bad readings. I am going to take that advice. I have a design in mind for some modified sensors.. When I get bored I'll fabricate those. Really, on the BW... I can tell how full it is with a flashlight if I think I am even getting close. I may also install a pump to transfer Gray into Black if I am in a sensitive place and need more Gray water capacity.. Not been a problem yet, however.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:47 am

My floor joices are 24 oc , but here is the tank I used. Americart has many different styles.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R ... UTF8&psc=1
The ad says 27gal but tank was marked 29gal. I have 25 gal fresh tank. I planned to use the black as combo black /grey, and do sometimes. I installed a diverter valve at shower so it can drain to ground when acceptable so "overages" should not be a problem. I also carry 5gal fresh can, and cases of bottled water.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 am

rebar, Howdy;

rebar wrote:Thanks flboy..

To answer your question that I enlarged above you can take a look at some of the RV online
brochures and check out the specs. for their tanks.Generally what you'll see is more capacity
for waste then fresh. It allows for the solids that get deposited in the Black tank as well as the
additional beverages Adult and otherwise that migrate into the system.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:27 am

flboy wrote:I have sensors for all the tanks and will install the Fresh Water and Gray Water sensors in the near future. Everyone is telling me don't waste my time on the BW tanks as it gets fouled quickly and gives bad readings. I am going to take that advice. I have a design in mind for some modified sensors.. When I get bored I'll fabricate those. Really, on the BW... I can tell how full it is with a flashlight if I think I am even getting close. I may also install a pump to transfer Gray into Black if I am in a sensitive place and need more Gray water capacity.. Not been a problem yet, however.

I've heard good things about the SeeLevel products. Unlike standard sensors that penetrate the tank and tend to fail, the SeeLevel system uses a capacitance type sensor that reads proximity of the tank level from the outside of the tank.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 am

I may have found my solution. The problem for me has been I do not have access to the sides even to put on foil type sensors that are external and don't foul.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 pm

:thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions