A/C opinion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

A/C opinion

Postby tradarcher69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:31 am

I have started on my build yet(still waiting for delivery) but I was camping this weekend with a friend that has a CT. He has a single hose portable and even though he was comfortable I felt is was a little warm inside. Weather 88degrees, cloudy. He gave me a second single hose to use in my built, but after seeing his I'm going with a dual hose. It gets hot here in South Carolina. I'm not interested in a window unit. I was looking at the WHYNTER 12,000BTU dual hose units on Amazon. Can't find any units locally. Has anyone used this brand, and if so what's your opinion. Can anyone recommend another or better brand and a source for it. CT is 7x12x6'6". It will be factory insulated. Thanks for all your input. Have read from page 1 to current trying to learn everything I can about conversions. I know there's a lot of opinions but one can learn from them. Thanks again.
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Re: A/C opinion

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:04 pm

• I found an A/C expert's concise summary of his thoughts, concerning using a single-hose portable A/C unit.
    (i) The single duct unit draws in more outside air than it delivers cools air to the conditioned space. This means it will never cool other than if you are directly in front of the unit. Thats what the negative pressure comment is about
    (ii) A double duct unit draws condenser air in from outside and discharges hot air (thats where the work is done) to outside the building. This is proper engineering practice. Less energy cost overall and hugely more efficient
    (iii) Never buy a single duct unit
  • You're planning to cool a metal box (cargo conversion), which, though insulated, will surely heat up more than a shingled home, for which portable A/C's were designed. And, you live in the hot and humid South, where max A/C efficiency is needed. If a portable is your choice, then go with a dual-hose unit. I prefer window units, and use a 5000 btu unit in my 4X8 TTT, but that's just me. It works great, but I only have 88 cubic feet inside, while you'll have 6.2 times as much space to cool. Good luck!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't have any first hand experience with Whynter ac's, but I have a couple of friends that have them and the are happy with them. I have 12k btu dual hose Danby that works pretty well. I used it's twin brother in a "tiny house" type trailer build and it kept a 7 x 11 trailer at 70 on 100 degree days. The one I'm using in my 7 x 14 CTC works pretty well. The trailer is black, so that doesn't help cooling much. I just coated the roof with Henry's 587, so we'll see what that does. 3 weeks ago I was in a campground in Missouri - no shade, 90 degrees. Left the ac set at 78 while I was at work, got home, dropped it to 72. It was there in give or take an hours time.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

A/C opinion

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I have a single hose, not sure if I like it or not. But since it's an 8000 which watts should be lower than a dual hose, smallest I've seen are 10,000 +. There are "hacks" to convert a single to a dual hose. I just added insulated sleeve over my single hose and it's made a difference.
But don't by LG's! BAD rep and poor customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Padilen on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rmcrist » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 pm

If you can get your hands on a roof top AC, go for it. We had a portable for a few months and was miserable here in Texas and even parts of Colorado. Many of them run at 12amps max so they are quite efficient and will freeze you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Make your own. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561 Folks have come up with a number of variations on the theme.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Welcome!

You're not alone...I wasn't convinced the portable was the way to go, but didn't want the A/C unit hanging out the wall of the trailer either.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50223

Here's what I did, It's been really cool for several seasons now. I think I may have typo-ed my description way back when, it is actually a 6,500 BTU from Lowe's. Even has a remote control, wife just rolls her eyes when I adjust it while standing in the doorway.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438#p956281
FWIW, spent day and 1/2 in a "monsoon" in NE Alabama recently, A/C running great, rear door just cracked open for venting, drip rail kept all the rain out! 8)
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby ryan112ryan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:57 am

I am having a hard time figuring out my AC as well. I live in North Carolina where it get very humid and quite hot, thus I need a solid option for AC. I will have a vent fan but that isn't going to cut it during the summer. I'm planning on only camping with my tear drop at campgrounds with power hook ups at the site so power consumption isn't an issue.

I don't mind spending money on this and don't want some DIY option. I was considering a window unit mounted through the galley or climateright mounted in a tongue box. Price isn't really a factor for me, but effectiveness and aesthetics are. I don't want anything clunky, external or non reliable

For window option I was wondering people's experiences and what you did for venting and how well it works. I'm skeptical of enclosed venting options because it can burn out and lots of moisture issues. Plus I don't n ow how I feel about having to leave my hatch open at night because critters.

Climate right seems like a good option but I've read mixed reviews on reliability and quality of unit. Some people rave about them while others have issues. I'm specifically curious about experience after a few seasons of use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryan112ryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 am

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but.....a 2 hose portable might fit the bill for a teardrop. Ugh,....I feel so dirty now.
But seriously, the " portable" aspect, meaning you wouldn't have to permanently mount it and perhaps transport in TV.
I don't know if you could physically spare the space inside, or how noisy the unit is in that space, but you would only need 2 holes for the intake and exhaust and 110v either inside or fish the cord out as well.
I want you to know I am not proud of what I just did there, but if it is the right tool for your job or even a viable option, so be it. Just throwing it out there, you'll have to do the math. ... :oops: ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

Consumer reports found that portable units actually provide about 1/2 the cooling they are rated for and use twice the power. We had a 12000 btu whynter in our bedroom. Replaced it with a 6k window unit that is much quieter and does fine except we need to turn it on sooner.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions