6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:21 am

Viper_Twig wrote:Copy so you used all black iron? I did, other than the flexible stainless tube between the valve and the water heater. My research has turned up contradictory info. To keep it consistent can I use copper from the outside regulator all the way inside? Lots of people do it, I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. I understand it's soft but it will be mounted no lower than the frame as it is routed inside. Just be careful not to kink it. :x

Cheers
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm

So my Dad came out to visit for the weekend. We worked on the trailer together today. It was fun, and we made some good progress. Getting the ceiling ready, tidying up some wiring, and finished the propane lines inside. ImageImageImageImage

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Big day. Ceiling and lights are up front to back! I love the recessed lights. Propane system is complete as well. First trip next weekend. Galley won't be built but that's ok. ImageImageImageImage

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Packing and prepping for maiden voyage tomorrow! 8 day 7 night journey through the Sierra Nevada with my family. It's not finished, but it's clean and useable. Added some two piece e track for hanging storage, finally figured out how to create an inside door latch that works. Next pix will be in use at camp!Image

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:01 am

Viper_Twig wrote:Packing and prepping for maiden voyage tomorrow! 8 day 7 night journey through the Sierra Nevada with my family. It's not finished, but it's clean and useable. Added some two piece e track for hanging storage, finally figured out how to create an inside door latch that works. Next pix will be in use at camp!
Cheers

Enjoy your trip. I am looking forward to the pics! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm

:thumbsup: +1

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Back home. The trip was epic! I'll post a full trip report soon, but I'll leave a few cell phone pics here for now.

Summary:

Over 1,000 miles from Vegas through the Eastern Sierras and Yosemite. Mostly mountain grades with steep switchbacks. 4 beautiful camp sites, extreme weather changes, high altitudes, and an energetic 15 month old boy tested the trailer and gear to the max. Pretty much a "torture test" for a brand new build on a maiden trip. Happy to report it exceeded expectations and we were safe and comfortable for 8 days off the grid.

More to follow
ImageImageImageImage

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 am

Fantastic! What an adventure. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Thank you for sharing your pictures.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 am

Glad to hear all went well. Thanks for the pics and sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm

That does look Epic! Can't imagine a better maiden voyage. Well done.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Congrats on your first successful adventure. By the look on your sons face, he was having a good time as well, thats a good thing :thumbsup:

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby desertblmkid » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 am

[b]Fantastic work ! I've been having a dee-lim-mah aout my ceiling, how to attach laun. I was thiking 1" x 2" strip. So did a search on "ceiling" and woo-lah! Found your build. Saw your ceiling pics with the strips. I'm going to pick up some this morning. Wished I had a welder like you close by. Congrats on build and Happy Trails to you.
Danny
[/b]
desertblmkid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 am

I like the ceiling also. Great idea. Think I will use the same process to attach mine.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Viper_Twig » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks fellas! Busy week at work and home post trip haven't had time to type up a full report but I'll get to it.

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 pm

desertblmkid wrote:[b]Fantastic work ! I've been having a dee-lim-mah aout my ceiling, how to attach laun. I was thiking 1" x 2" strip. So did a search on "ceiling" and woo-lah! Found your build. Saw your ceiling pics with the strips. I'm going to pick up some this morning. Wished I had a welder like you close by. Congrats on build and Happy Trails to you.
Danny
[/b]
Danny and Phoenixbound glad the ceiling inspired you. It really works great. Drops it just enough to hide wiring or mounting very shallow embedded lights without sacrificing overall standing height.

Some tips:

Use a scrap piece of wood to mark where your 1x2 are in relation to the wall as a template so you can quickly mark where to screw the lauan to once they are obscured.

I experimented with a lot of different screws. I found the attached combination works best. The winged self tapping screws will fasten the wood to the frame nicely and securely and countersink without splitting the wood. The particle board screws worked great to secure the plywood to the 1x2s and look good and clean. Neither required pre drilling and everything is tight. It went up fairly quickly once the 5mm plywood was cut for the fan, lights, and v-nose section.Image

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions