6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 am

McDave wrote:That is a sweet fridge. The chest type are way more efficient, and that's a good one. I know they are spendy, but it's a good investment. Front load fridges are power hogs. That's money well spent.
Making real good progress. That is going to be a very capable unit. Nice job on the cables, they look very professional.
Thanks for the updates and pics.

McDave
Thank you mcdave. It was expensive, but second hand it was about the same as a new high end passive cooler of the same size. Having a fridge powered exclusively and continually by solar will be worth it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll post an update with the batteries charging. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 am

Question: my trailer came with a simple roof vent from the factory. I am looking to install my fantastic fan in the space. What's the best way to remove the old vent that is installed with sealant?

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:26 am

I removed the stock roof vent to install a rooftop A/C. I remember cutting the lap sealant around the perimeter of the vent and removing about 35-40 screws that were hidden under the sealant. I just kinda dug where the screws should be and got enough out to see the screw head, and removed with a drill/driver. I can't recall if they were Phillips or square bit. Once you have all those out you can start to cut the butyl tape that is between the vent and metal roof. I used one of those disposable razor knives that has the blade that is segmented and you break off the dull piece. I just extended it out far enough you could get it between the roof and the vent and cut the tape. Just work your way around the vent, if it doesn't want to come off look for another screw hidden in the lap sealant. I think you will leave the wood frame inside as they should all be the same size 14"x14". Then get the old lap sealant off the roof, new butyl tape, fantastic fan, and new lap sealant. Piece of cake.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:23 pm

McDave wrote:I removed the stock roof vent to install a rooftop A/C. I remember cutting the lap sealant around the perimeter of the vent and removing about 35-40 screws that were hidden under the sealant. I just kinda dug where the screws should be and got enough out to see the screw head, and removed with a drill/driver. I can't recall if they were Phillips or square bit. Once you have all those out you can start to cut the butyl tape that is between the vent and metal roof. I used one of those disposable razor knives that has the blade that is segmented and you break off the dull piece. I just extended it out far enough you could get it between the roof and the vent and cut the tape. Just work your way around the vent, if it doesn't want to come off look for another screw hidden in the lap sealant. I think you will leave the wood frame inside as they should all be the same size 14"x14". Then get the old lap sealant off the roof, new butyl tape, fantastic fan, and new lap sealant. Piece of cake.

McDave
Great thanks!

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Exciting day. My batteries are charging by the sun!ImageImageImage

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Very nice! I like that Bluetooth output to your Smartphone. Does it have other parameters available to monitor as well?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:44 pm

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 am

Its pretty cool. First plugged it in, opened the app and it updated the firmware of the controller automatically. I can change settings for bulk, float etc. It also has a 30 day history of input and output and charge times. Range is enough so I can monitor from the truck as well.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah Baby,
That's a cool set-up right there. Very nice work on the installation and planning. I'm watching and learning about this whole solar business. Makes a huge difference in the capabilities of the rigs electrical system. Definitely on my wish list. Trailer brakes first, then solar, then another foot of ceiling height. ... ;) ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Tying in the power Dynamics and 30amp inlet nextImage

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

It is a joy to view your work ... and I love that blue tooth technology!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:52 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:It is a joy to view your work ... and I love that blue tooth technology!
Thank you sir. Just learning and sharing as I go. Fun adventure before the adventure of using it!

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Today was productive. I decided to tackle the roof fan instead of the shore inlet. The fan is in and powered through the PD4045. Turned on first try (technically second cause I forgot to throw a blade fuse on the circuit the first time). Exciting!ImageImageImageImage

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:35 am

Looks great! Exciting stuff for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 am

Viper_Twig, Howdy;

Good lookin' results with the vent/fan ! But that lone fuse truly looks like it's
:worship: for companions . to arrive soon. Poor liddle feller ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions