6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Quick polish of the tank. Clear coated the tank mount and brackets. Y splitter at tank so I can connect grill or shower outside. Stainless steel hose to dual stage regulator for my interior heat connection. Need another tube and an entry hole in the floor still. ImageImage

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Water pump wired up. Both water inlets installed. Need to buy some Pex tubing and connections tomorrow. ImageImage

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm

I need to bring water to an outside connection for water heater/ shower. This looks like it will do the trick. Anybody used it?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... yfEALw_wcB

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 pm

No construction today but bought some plumbing fittings to try. Also went grill shopping and filled my propane tank!Image

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm

That's one nice looking rig! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Very Nice!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks fellas.

LP question:

I only need LP connection inside for a small heater that will not be used all the time (camco wave). I already have the two stage regulator mounted. I want to bring a line in ending at a quick disconnect for the heater inside.

It is a short run from the regulator to the inside where I want the connection. I am going below the trailer and up through the floor. I only need about 4 feet of plumbing.

Is a flexible hose acceptable for this? Thinking about using another braided stainless hose for durability. Or do I need to use copper tubing?

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 pm

I just threw some black pipe under the trailer. It went in quick and easy, except I did get a little fancy with the inside pipe.
Home Depot sells it in precut lengths so that helps a lot.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

Viper_Twig wrote:Thanks fellas.

LP question:

I only need LP connection inside for a small heater that will not be used all the time (camco wave). I already have the two stage regulator mounted. I want to bring a line in ending at a quick disconnect for the heater inside.

It is a short run from the regulator to the inside where I want the connection. I am going below the trailer and up through the floor. I only need about 4 feet of plumbing.

Is a flexible hose acceptable for this? Thinking about using another braided stainless hose for durability. Or do I need to use copper tubing?

Cheers

I also have a Camco Wave. It does a nice job, just be sure to keep a vent or window cracked open. Propane heaters produce a lot of moisture and fresh air is always good.
I keep my propane in a vented cabinet, so I just used a grommet and passed the rubber hose thru the wall. Same for the H2o heater propane hose. I just swap the regulators at the tank.
It's pretty unlikely I would need both at same time. Once it is below freezing, I winterize the plumbing and tanks. In fact I just did that today as it looks like Tues. AM will be 29f. It's pretty much downhill from here. Don't want to be surprised with exploded lines/ pump.
I guess if I had to run it outside at all, rigid black or copper would be best? But I'm sure the stainless would be fine if it was sealed at wall/floor and maybe protected from sun. Maybe rigid and a manifold if you have more than one LP appliance inside?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

Viper_Twig, Howdy;

Viper_Twig wrote:I need to bring water to an outside connection for water heater/ shower. This looks like it will do the trick. Anybody used it?

Cheers

I have one of those Quick Connect fittings for my Outdoor Shower connection. It's hard to use
due to the water pressure pushing the interior plunger (the part that prevents leakage), against
you and I have a much larger opening to fit my hand into. So, check their return policy if it doesn't
work for you. Mine looks pretty much like this;
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Access ... W_Inc.aspx

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 pm

hankaye wrote:Viper_Twig, Howdy;

Viper_Twig wrote:I need to bring water to an outside connection for water heater/ shower. This looks like it will do the trick. Anybody used it?

Cheers

I have one of those Quick Connect fittings for my Outdoor Shower connection. It's hard to use
due to the water pressure pushing the interior plunger (the part that prevents leakage), against
you and I have a much larger opening to fit my hand into. So, check their return policy if it doesn't
work for you. Mine looks pretty much like this;
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Access ... W_Inc.aspx

hank
Interesting thanks for the info. I ordered it so I'll give it a shot

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 pm

McDave wrote:
Viper_Twig wrote:Thanks fellas.

LP question:

Cheers

I also have a Camco Wave. It does a nice job, just be sure to keep a vent or window cracked open. Propane heaters produce a lot of moisture and fresh air is always good.
I keep my propane in a vented cabinet, so I just used a grommet and passed the rubber hose thru the wall. Same for the H2o heater propane hose. I just swap the regulators at the tank.
It's pretty unlikely I would need both at same time. Once it is below freezing, I winterize the plumbing and tanks. In fact I just did that today as it looks like Tues. AM will be 29f. It's pretty much downhill from here. Don't want to be surprised with exploded lines/ pump.
I guess if I had to run it outside at all, rigid black or copper would be best? But I'm sure the stainless would be fine if it was sealed at wall/floor and maybe protected from sun. Maybe rigid and a manifold if you have more than one LP appliance inside?

McDave

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:I just threw some black pipe under the trailer. It went in quick and easy, except I did get a little fancy with the inside pipe.
Home Depot sells it in precut lengths so that helps a lot.
Looks great! Ok you sold me, I will use solid pipe.. but some questions:

So black iron outdoors and copper inside? Can you educate me on why? Will that withstand the elements? Should I clear coat Rust-Oleum it?

Any issue using copper fittings to connect iron to?

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 pm

I guess I should have noted that the copper pipe is just a painted black pipe. :oops: As for outside, you could paint it or coat it with somthing, l decided to just let it rust. I can't imagine it will rust through in my lifetime.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:I guess I should have noted that the copper pipe is just a painted black pipe. :oops: As for outside, you could paint it or coat it with somthing, l decided to just let it rust. I can't imagine it will rust through in my lifetime.
Copy so you used all black iron? My research has turned up contradictory info. To keep it consistent can I use copper from the outside regulator all the way inside? I understand it's soft but it will be mounted no lower than the frame as it is routed inside.

Cheers
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions