6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Postby Viper_Twig » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Greetings from Las Vegas,

I was road tripping with my family last week and got to talking with my wife about how much we wanted a trailer to sleep in, haul toys, and go on adventures. After a futile search of large or expensive tailers I eventually got the idea of converting my cargo trailer and was happy to find an entire community that has done the same thing. I'm in the R&D and learning phase right now but wanted to start a build thread and introduce myself.

Here's what I have:

Basic, but new 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer. 72" interior with a shallow v nose. Rear cargo ramp, side door. Steel build. Bought last year to move my motorcycle and some stuff across the country and haven't used it much since. Single axle, 3500# gvwr with a curb weight of approx 1400#. Brakes installed

My tow vehicle is a 5th gen Toyota 4Runner.

Here's what I want:

Sleeping capacity for 3 (4 max). Wife, me and our currently 1 year old son. Thinking queen mattress on floor and mechanical drop down loft bed for kiddo.

Retain approximately 1000# for toy hauling capacity. Either two motorcycles, multiple bicycles, or an ATV (ideally I'd like to maintain room for the future ability to transport a 50" RZR).

Insulated, heated, and cooled. We live in Vegas right now and travel all around the west. Last weekend alone I saw temperatures from 28-105. Would like the capability to use in winter as well for snow sports.

Electrical system for off-grid use to include solar but retain the ability to charge via truck or shore when able.

Basic kitchenette with running heated water. External shower connection, no internal toilet.

Fold out external grill area and counter space.

I am thinking my first order of business will be to source and install windows and then begin interior insulation. Here are some pictures of the clean slate.

Cheers!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 6x12 Cargo Conversion. New Guy, New Build

Postby firemansd19 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Check out my beginning stages. I started with a clean slate like u and slowly moving to the same goal.

Beginner looking for advise

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I have 7x12 with a lift/loft bed that's a double. I built a queen loft / loft bed for my friends 6x12. But both are 7' interiors. About 5'8"or so clearance with bed in up position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 am

Sounds exciting! Can't wait to watch your build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Sounds like fun. Look forward to seeing your build.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Man, finding windows is tough.

I would like close to 48x18 on each side which would require steel frame manipulation on at least one beam each side.

These looks pretty nice and affordable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HEHR-48-X-1 ... fc&vxp=mtr

Problem is I only have about 47" between posts (cutting one in the middle) and these are 47.75" inserts. So, I would be looking at having to cut into 2 metal supports on each side and weld in horizontal framing. Probably not a big deal?

I've placed a 5,000BTU Air conditioner in the attached 3D sketch, while I get the metal work done I would be looking to frame that. I didn't want to put it on the nose but I don't see many other better options. Thoughts?

If I plan on installing solar on the roof, should I reinforce the steel on roof while I'm at it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 8.20.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 8.20.26 PM.png (437.16 KiB) Viewed 6189 times
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 am

Welcome!

For modular living space, vertical E-track is your friend...
Loaded to go:
Sleeping mode:
There's a "click/clack sofa you can't see in the foreground, sleeps 2.
Modular A/C "wall" installed, inside view:

Discussion on bunks:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49766#p926009

Lots of options for Air Conditioning, here's mine, but since you are toy hauling this one I did may not be convenient.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438#p956281
I think "Iconfabul8" did a steel frame inside his ramp door for an A/C? (Edit: Ha! it's in his signature line!) and "JWhite" has a moveable rear wall setup if I recall.

Good Luck!
Last edited by NO David! on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby NO David! » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:43 am

Windows:
Mine were installed at the factory, but they actually cracked one, the replacement came in a box from these guys:
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ProductsServices/Products.aspx
90 degree radius slider windows with screen on page 314 of their catalog. They work great, tinted, screened, weep holes for condensation, and install with a clamp ring and screws from the inside. You'll want butyl tape to seal the window to the body. Mine might be 15 x 24, can't remember right off. (Ok, so I measured them... 18" x 42" slider type, terrible guess)

They sell to manufacturers and dealers, but it appears they will sell to "us" too. They really know their stuff.

Consider higher mount and offset for airflow. I credit "gonefishin" for that idea. Saves wall space for stuff, a little more privacy, and with a Fantastic Vent fan in the roof, creates awesome crossflow in the trailer.

Edit: They framed a rectangular box for my windows out of the wall tubing, but installed poly radius curved corner inserts x 4 to make a smooth install, I would guess the redneck folks have those pieces as well.

Edit #2: I guess if I'd slowed down enough to read your original post, I would have just linked my simple build thread, looks like it should get you started.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345
-Check out Flboy's (2) builds for an awesome toy hauler setup...
-Also this has become my "catchall" thread for base camp style conversions:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65926#p1168566

Dont' forget to watch your weight with a 4Runner. FWIW, my 7x16 fully loaded hits the scale at 3,000lbs, so you should have plenty of room to work.

So let's get to work, Summer is getting away from us!!!
David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:10 am

David, thanks for the awesome information! I love what you have done and will likely use some of your design features. It's been a busy work week, and I'm on the road with work for a little while but I'm hoping to order some pieces and 'break ground' early next month. I'll dig into your links and post again soon once I formulate some questions.

I'll be weight conscious but the 4Runner has towed this trailer across country loaded to about 3,000 pounds no problem and has a 5k towing capacity. So I really just need to watch the trailer limit of 3,500 pounds factoring in a max toy load of 1,000 pounds during my build.

I am itching to use my trailer but really wish I had this idea last year because it's not going to be fun to work on it for the next few months given that it's 110+ degrees here in Vegas for the foreseeable future.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby m.colley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 am

Viper_Twig wrote:I am itching to use my trailer but really wish I had this idea last year because it's not going to be fun to work on it for the next few months given that it's 110+ degrees here in Vegas for the foreseeable future.

I worked on mine in the heat of the summer here in Georgia for much of the build. A simple made "red neck" A/C made all the difference. A cheap cooler, a fan source, and ice. I used a old squirrel cage blower from a old gas furnace, a cooler I found on the side of the road and some reusable gallon milk jugs filled with lightly salted tap water that I could re-freeze as my ice source.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby bc toys » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 am

welcome to the group I to am from Las Vegas I have built 3 cargo conversions the 1st thing you want to think about is insolation and air flow I am about to take mine apart so I can install my new solar system I built a rack for the top of my trailer to mount the solar panels on I wish you the best of luck with your build I am in the south part of town sunset and eastern area let me know if you need any help
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:20 pm

bc toys wrote:welcome to the group I to am from Las Vegas I have built 3 cargo conversions the 1st thing you want to think about is insolation and air flow I am about to take mine apart so I can install my new solar system I built a rack for the top of my trailer to mount the solar panels on I wish you the best of luck with your build I am in the south part of town sunset and eastern area let me know if you need any help

Thanks man! I will take you up on that. It would be great to get some consultation from an experienced local. Can you do metal work? I'll send you a message, hopefully we can meet up after the Fourth of July?

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 pm

First parts ordered for phase 1! Two 18x42 windows that No David recommended (thanks!). Found them for $270 shipped for two with trim rings, though that was pretty good, better than I could find on eBay without trim.

Also got leveling jacks, a fantastic fan, and will be ordering the ac next. That should get me through the welding phase. Wish I knew how, but that will have to wait.

Then I'll insulate and design electrical and plumbing.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 pm

welding isn't too bad, just get a couple of extra scraps. practice on them and watch youtube and read up. Then when its time to do the deed, warm up on the scraps to make sure you are setup right and got it down.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:07 am

Update:

Officially 'broke ground' today!

Placed a huge Amazon order this week with almost all of my critical electrical and plumbing parts minus batteries. I'll post the schematics soon with products once they start trickling in.

Found a like new Dometic CF-80 fridge on Craigslist for 50% off new cost (but still expensive) from a gentleman who had no need for it after he got a new RV! Drove out to pick it up about 80 miles away. Plugged it into my truck when I bought it and it was 90° inside (was open and 115 outside at the time). By the time I got home it was maintaining the 30° I set it at. Awesome for such a large fridge, and silent the whole time. Will be installed on sliders on the floor in the nose galley and fits just right.

Stopped at Lowe's on the way home for a bunch of insulation panels. I've got one wall done so far- thankfully my walls were screwed on and not nailed.

My windows haven't arrived yet, but I hope to have those in soon and will start running some wiring while the walls are off.

I've got some ideas for flooring, wall covering, and sleeping solution that I will share soon.

Here are a few pictures. I'm on the night schedule at work this month, which is actually convenient because I can work through the nights this weekend and beat the Vegas heat while the family is sleeping (it's still 90°+ right now but at least no sun). Alright, beer break over, back to cutting insulation.

CheersImageImageImageImageImage

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions