Drawing/ Planning Ap

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Drawing/ Planning Ap

Postby DirtyD1833 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 pm

What app are you all using for your plans and drawings? I have a new tablet I am playing with and can see the value in using the tablet and included stylus to " draw" my plans in 3D.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Drawing/ Planning Ap

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Google SketchUp
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:01 pm

I use AutoCAD, because I have had and used it since 1982 for work. Not much free about it however and I haven't used it - nor any cad software - on a tablet, but know people do. Sketch-up is popular. Google "free cad" and maybe throw in "tablet" and you get a lot of hits.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Newt182 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

I will second Google Sketchup, I use it for every project I start. I draw everything as much to scale as possible to see if everythign will fit the way i expect it to. Learn to draw rectangles, use the push/pull tool and you can draw most anything you want. There are some good tutorials on you tube also, it can be intimidating at first but once you get the hang of the tools and learn some shortcuts it's really pretty easy. I would recommend watching some tutorials and following along, there was one that demonstrated drawing a book shelf that had some great tips for the first time user.

I'm not a pro but drew this up last night, took me about 2 hours or so and I drew the cabinets piece by piece according to actual measurements. It can be addicting after you get the hang of it, it's like playing with Legos as a kid.

Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:51 pm

8 1/2" x 11" graph paper, a pencil and a big eraser :)

I've tried technology in the past and haven't been able to beat paper and pencil.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby DirtyD1833 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Evidently Sketchup does not have a mobile app that will let you create new files, however I found an app called Planner 5 D and manged to generate the below. In the past I have always been a fan of the graph paper and pencil as well, I just figured I would give technology a try this time. The window is not to size since the free version is limited, but it gives me something to play with while I am stuck at Fort Bliss for the next several weeks.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 pm

I draw pictures in my mind, over and over and ... Then engineer on the fly! It usually turns out pretty close to what I imagined.
I do make a few 2D mechanical drawings with Corel Draw.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:56 pm

I have mainly used autocad and solid works but i really prefer rhino for 3d over solidworks. I do not like autocad for 3d.

I downloaded sketchup and started messing with it for a few minutes and got frustrated. Nothing is even remotely intuitive and nothing like a regular cad program. Will have to watch the videos to learn how to use it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby Freedom_Lover » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Newt182 wrote:I will second Google Sketchup, I use it for every project I start. I draw everything as much to scale as possible to see if everythign will fit the way i expect it to. Learn to draw rectangles, use the push/pull tool and you can draw most anything you want. There are some good tutorials on you tube also, it can be intimidating at first but once you get the hang of the tools and learn some shortcuts it's really pretty easy. I would recommend watching some tutorials and following along, there was one that demonstrated drawing a book shelf that had some great tips for the first time user.

I'm not a pro but drew this up last night, took me about 2 hours or so and I drew the cabinets piece by piece according to actual measurements. It can be addicting after you get the hang of it, it's like playing with Legos as a kid.

How did you learn it? Are there instructional videos online? Thanks, Brad
Freedom_Lover
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Sketchup is great for total newbies, yes lots of HowTos.

But if you already know CAD just use that, can get anything one way or another.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions