Oh no trailer dealer called me

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Oh no trailer dealer called me

Postby Snakebite » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Trailer dealer just called they cannot put the door in the back on the side of a 12 foot trailer, they can put the door on the backside of a 14 ft single or double axle. I have a Ford Ranger does anyone have a single axle 14 foot trailer do you have any sway problem with the trailer?? I very much would appreciate any info thank you
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Oh no trailer dealer called me

Postby DirtyD1833 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm

My first " build" was a single axle 6x14. If you search my posts you can find some pictures of it. When loaded with two 4 wheelers and assorted camping/hunting gear I had no issues with trailer sway, even at 70 mph. Granted, my TV is a fullsize 1500. Where I ran into issues was not buying a big enough trailer and not accurately assessing my fully loaded weight.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:41 pm

My 6x14 single axle trailer pulls with no sway even when almost all of the trucks fly by me. I can go 70 mph with it and no sway, but I mostly stay in the 60-65 range when on interstates. I do tow with a 2012 F150 Crew Cab, so I have a lot of truck up front. I was looking recently at the HF anti-sway bars at a low price just because I believe in over having more protection then maybe needed.

With your Ranger, I am not sure about how 6x14 would work. My first reaction is that if you keep your driving reasonable (whatever that is), you should be ok.

The one caveat I have is that a whole lot depends on your weight distribution. If too much weight is in the back, yes, you will for sure get sway.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Sounds about right, unless they could do a narrower door.

Edit: the trailer I linked to with the door in the rear was a 6x12 Lark, made in South Georgia. Reading his post he drove from Virginia to pick it up. If the door is important, I'd talk to another dealer and manufacturer.

What part of the country are you shopping in? Consider talking to a Cargo Craft dealer, (made in Texas and Georgia plants). They were amazingly flexible on custom stuff, although I should have been more aggressive confirming items during the process. Also heard good experiences with those here who used Trailershowroom as their order point to multiple manufacturers.

Wind is as big (some say bigger) problem than weight towing cargos. Ever so slight nose down level, and a tad heavier in front of the axle, should be good to go regarding sway. That Ranger, even though a great truck, will be working hard on the road when your trailer is loaded. Be sure to add a trailer brake controller in the cab, and get electric brakes on the trailer axle.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 am

Snakebite, Howdy;

I pull my 6X14 single axle with a F-250SD. What trailer???
I also have brakes on mine

Check the sticker on the driver's door frame, should give you weight information
about max Gross weight. Yea, even a T-100 Toyota can pull a Space Shuttle but ...
can it stop it in a reasonable distance from Highway speed?

May want to ask around with other Trailer Manufacturers to see what they can
or can''t do to help ya get what ya want.

Good luck, happy huntin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Snakebite » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:42 am

Thank you all so much for the responses I live in Tennessee Might look at trucks or another trailer company. Just my plans are for the door in the back. great site...
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

Great plan ! Get a bigger truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Ol' D » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Snakebite you might want to buy a trailer without a side door and then install an after market door yourself.
Good luck with what ever way you go.

Dan
Ol' D
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:06 pm

While you could add a side door yourself, I am convinced it would be much much better to have it done at the factory.
Most trailers I have seen or am aware of typically come with a side door already. It is usually the size, location and style that you can negotiate with the dealer/manufacturer.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Snakebite » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello... Ya Ho I am getting the door where I want it... Will be getting a 24 in door... I am so pumped... Just have to wait 6 weeks for her. Got the plans all done on paper. Tyred to find 3 d program on comp. Can't figure them out. ( I am so not into computers ) lol So I am working on a shoe box model... I can't wait to get it..... Thanks for all info..
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Hurray ! Now get busy buying stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions