Newt's Toy Hauler - 7x16 Bravo Scout

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Newt's Toy Hauler - 7x16 Bravo Scout

Postby Newt182 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:40 pm

I decided to sell my 6x14 and go a size bigger in order to really be able to do all I want to do in my CTC. I just picked up a Bravo Scout 7x16 Tandem Axle last weekend and brought it home. I use my trailer to haul 2 ATVs to places off grid with no hookups.

My Plan:

I've researched many many builds here on tnttt but the two builds below are what i'm basing my build on:
Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61680
Poppy's Toybox / Toyhauler Build http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=53941

• Windows: I want to add two windows, one on the curb side just above the axles and one on the street side just across from the door. I'm considering the WD15 24x20 model from Vintage Technologies http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/Windows___Doors.html
  • Power: 12 volt power only provided by two US Battery GC2200 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries. I plan to wire it for charging from the tow vehicle and may add solar panels in the future. Power will be used for LED lighting,water pump, Maxxair Fan, charging cell phones, etc. No fridge, no A/C.
  • Plumbing: Sink and outside shower. I have a 30 Gallon fresh water tank I plan to install behind the cabinets in the V nose and will connect it to a small sink for cooking and hand washing. For gray water I'm just planning on a catch can under the sink and will empty it when full. An external shower connection as I plan to just hose off outside. (again we camp in the woods) Also I've considered the Rubbermaid tote with a shower curtain around it as an indoor option.
  • Floor: Rubber/Vinyl diamond plate or raised coin type flooring.
  • Walls: Indoor/Outdoor carpet as in the two builds referenced above. Home Depot Sky Grey.
  • Cabinets: I have two kitchen cabinets I am removing from my basement which I've drawn to scale in the drawing below. I plan to use those for the left side cabinets and then build a face frame to close in the front V nose area. The top cabinets I may build or I may buy some unfinished cabinets and use them.
  • Sleeping: I may do a folding type platform later on but for the time being I am thinking of building a platform to fit a twin sized air mattress and using vertical E-Track to mount it at various heights depending on the arrangement. I plan to use this platform to store items such as folding chairs, pop up canopy, etc while mobile. I've also been toying with the idea of using the front V Nose area as a couch rather than a counter top and possibly an area where a smaller person could sleep.

This is my Sketchup model of how I plan to lay out the trailer. This arrangement allows me to easily haul the Two ATVs I currently haul and by removing or relocating the black tool chest,it leaves room for a standard size side by side (i.e. RZR 900S) in the future if I go that route.

Bringing the new trailer home from the factory:

Laying out the design and gathering some measurements:

Thanks for looking, any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by Newt182 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Newt's Toy Hauler - 7x16 Bravo Scout

Postby jwh92020 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Nice looking trailer and really fancy plans. Mine were graph paper, pen & ruler. I'm somewhat It challenged.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 am

good luck with your build. I love my 7x16.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Newt182, Howdy;

Congratulations on the new trailer! :applause:

Just from curiosity, what is that dark square object on the driver's side V wall, about
1/2 way up?

Good luck with the build, you've picked 2 winners to use as inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of pix of your progress.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DirtyD1833 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Very similar to my purpose and ideas. I started with a 6x14, then sold it and went with a 7x16. That one was stolen and now I am about to get started in an 8x16. I have to fit two 4 wheelers in mine as well, but mine have a slightly larger wheel base as they are both 4x4 utility models one of which is a two up machine. I am going to run a horizontal style Murphy bed on the street side and an adjustable (height) full across the back that will double as a storage shelf. I will be hanging cabinets on both sides with a window A.C. done up like flboy's on the street side. Goal is to maximize space while keeping the floor clear for 4 wheelers or motorcycles. The trailer may also have to do double duty as long term living quarters as I will be geo-batching it for a year or so 4 hours from the house.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by DirtyD1833 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Newt182 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:35 pm

hankaye wrote:Newt182, Howdy;

Congratulations on the new trailer! :applause:

Just from curiosity, what is that dark square object on the driver's side V wall, about
1/2 way up?

Good luck with the build, you've picked 2 winners to use as inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of pix of your progress.

hank

That's the battery for the break away kit. They put it inside out of the elements. I may move it if it's in the way of my cabinets but still keep it inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DirtyD1833 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't think I have ever seen that before, always seen them on the tongue.

DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby low277 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 pm

DirtyD, Do you work/own a toy store? :D :D I like the 4 wheelers!! But I'm prejudiced!!
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby DirtyD1833 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 pm

low277 wrote:DirtyD, Do you work/own a toy store? :D :D I like the 4 wheelers!! But I'm prejudiced!!

I wish, I am still in the military, just found a really good deal on those two wheelers. They were new/old stock at Tracker/Bass pro. Had to replace on that was inside my last trailer when it was stolen, got such a good deal on the green one I sold my second wheeler and went back for the red one.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 am

Newt182, Howdy;

Thanks for the answer. Agree with

DirtyD1833 wrote:I don't think I have ever seen that before, always seen them on the tongue.

the tongue is where most are located. Must have come from a high battery theft area ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Very Nice layout. I like it! That 30 gallon Fresh Water tank is going to be about 240+ lbs. when you fill it up. You may think about that being more aft in the floorplan.. It does depend on how you plan to load the trailer of course.. but being that is something that will be permanent.. you may want to consider placement carefully. I put mine over the axles to be more balance neutral as I may run with our without toys on board. Same with the batteries.. Two of them is another ~100lbs..
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 pm

flboy wrote:Very Nice layout. I like it! That 30 gallon Fresh Water tank is going to be about 240+ lbs. when you fill it up. You may think about that being more aft in the floorplan.. It does depend on how you plan to load the trailer of course.. but being that is something that will be permanent.. you may want to consider placement carefully. I put mine over the axles to be more balance neutral as I may run with our without toys on board. Same with the batteries.. Two of them is another ~100lbs..

If I had to do it over again, I too would place the batteries just ahead of the axle, but this time I would try and engineer a metal drop box in the floor. I have seen this done by another CT'r much earlier.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 am

flboy wrote:Very Nice layout. I like it! That 30 gallon Fresh Water tank is going to be about 240+ lbs. when you fill it up. You may think about that being more aft in the floorplan.. It does depend on how you plan to load the trailer of course.. but being that is something that will be permanent.. you may want to consider placement carefully. I put mine over the axles to be more balance neutral as I may run with our without toys on board. Same with the batteries.. Two of them is another ~100lbs..

Yep, Anything heavy that will be permanent should try to make balance neutral, However I use my water tank as ballast to adjust the tongue weight. It is located underneath, just behind the axle. Add or drain water as needed, then fill it up just before leaving the pavement.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 pm

lrrowe wrote: If I had to do it over again, I too would place the batteries just ahead of the axle, but this time I would try and engineer a metal drop box in the floor. I have seen this done by another CT'r much earlier.

Same here. When I build another, batteries and water tanks will be back towards the axles for weight concern, plus it saves room in/under the cabinets. Both will be in the floor.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Newt182 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 am

I was concerned about all that weight up front, I could move the water and Batteries to the rear and build a box that could be used as a bench around it. This would be my load configuration with 2 ATVs. I have no idea what the tool box will weigh but I expect it to be heavy. My concern then would be all the weight on one side with the Water, Batteries, tool box and cabinets. My other concern would be wiring the lights and such with the batteries in the rear. I would either have to place the switches near the batteries or run long runs from the batteries to the door area where the switches should be. Perhaps I should move the water tank but leave the batteries up front.

Last edited by Newt182 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions