Travelling the southwest

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Travelling the southwest

Postby tanukihimself » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

The trailer is nearly done, we are about ready to head back across the country from Mississippi to Oregon and are planning our route. I will leave MS and go to fort worth tx to stay with a friend and then head to lake Sumner in new Mexico, from here its unclear. We want to go to Chaco canyon NM, but the roads sound really iffy and this trailer is not built for off-road desert travel. Paved roads are fine but its the blm, non maintained dirt roads with washboards exposed that worry me. I have driven them before but it was in a Subaru outback with no trailer, now I have a silverado 1500 and a 3500lb + trailer with street tires.

Thought on any of this or personal experience would be appreciated.
tanukihimself
Teardrop Builder

Re: Travelling the southwest

Postby hankaye » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:07 pm

tanukihimself, Howdy;

I've NOT been to either local you've mentioned here in NM. That said, both places get their fair share
of tourists and locals doing fishing ,camping and other outdoor stuff. Washboards aren't fun just need
to proceed at a pace that feels good for you. NM isn't the greatest State for road maint. Just like the
majority of the rest of the States, ya got good, bad and I wouldn't send anyone ('cept maybe a former
Mother-in-Law and the child she spawned), down that hog trail ... and don't forget about Ship Rock
when you leave Chaco canyon.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 am

Been many years since I've been to Chaco, but I don't recall the roads being rough at all. It is a magical place, you must experience even if you have to walk it in. Fort Sumner has a cool vibe as well. You could spend a lifetime exploring
New Mexico, "The Land Of Enchantment". I miss it very, very much.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am

We want to go to Chaco canyon NM, but the roads sound really iffy

We spent three weeks in northern Arizona and southern Utah in April. Chaco Canyon is on my bucket list for next spring. If you look at the roads in the monument from Google Earth, there's a stripe painted down the middle. They're asphalt.

Take a tour on Google Earth. Use the Street View feature.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions