2017 6x12 Pace Journey SE. In MInn.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2017 6x12 Pace Journey SE. In MInn.

Postby low277 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:54 pm

I applied a second coat of Henry's and it used just a little more product than the first coat. I did get two coats with a single gallon and maybe a cup full left over. I used a 3/8 nap roller for smooth or semi smooth surfaces. At times the roller didn't want to roll, just slide but I did get it on pretty evenly. My trailer has a 1 piece aluminum roof so I tried to be extra careful around the roof edges and around the roof vent. I took more pictures!! :D Hope to figure out how to post them soon!!! :thinking: :thinking:

It clouded up now so I anxious to see how it looks in good sunlight.

Question. Is it a problem to add another coat in a couple of days if I decide too??
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:17 pm

low277 wrote:Question. Is it a problem to add another coat in a couple of days if I decide too??

The Henry’s 587 specs say:

RECOAT: Apply second coat when the first is dry, preferably on the same day. Allow to dry fully between coats. For large roofs, apply two coats to one section per day. Apply second coat at right angles to first coat. Schedule work so that coating has 2 hours to dry before nightfall.

If it were me, I would call Henry’s and ask about the effect of waiting a few days before recoating. Maybe the problem would be dirt or water on the roof before application. Or, maybe the subsequent coat would not adhere to a fully cured coat, regardless of cleanliness. But I would call first before deciding. On second thought, calling could be a problem as I suspect that they are closed on Monday.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:22 pm

I did as you, one gallon for a 6x12, 2 coats one after another. I did not see a benefit to adding a 3rd coat. I think you will be fine.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 am

low277, Howdy;

low277 wrote:I applied a second coat of Henry's and it used just a little more product than the first coat. I did get two coats with a single gallon and maybe a cup full left over. I used a 3/8 nap roller for smooth or semi smooth surfaces. At times the roller didn't want to roll, just slide but I did get it on pretty evenly. My trailer has a 1 piece aluminum roof so I tried to be extra careful around the roof edges and around the roof vent. I took more pictures!! :D Hope to figure out how to post them soon!!! :thinking: :thinking:

It clouded up now so I anxious to see how it looks in good sunlight.

Question. Is it a problem to add another coat in a couple of days if I decide too??

Looking forward to the pix. About your question, if you do contact the Henrys folks please let us know what their answer is.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby low277 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 am

Update on Henry's 587 question.

I applied 2 coats of Henry's 587 over a new one piece aluminum roof that I had washed clean and then scrubbed with a white vinegar and water solution using a green scotchbrite pad. I was curious about adding a 3rd coat and if I should do anything special before I applied it so I called Henry's support line.

I was asked to specifically explain the original roof surface material and condition before I applied the 587. The tech then told me I should have used a primer product first and that the 587 would probably peel off. He did say that in my case thicker would not be better.

I will be going on a 700 mile trip with the trailer in a week so we will see what happens.???

Has anyone else used a primer before applying Henry's 587???
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 am

The Henry’s 587 specs say:

CLEAN: Before coating the roof, use a pressure washer or high pressure nozzle and water hose to wash the roof with a non-filming detergent, such as TSP or TSP substitute. ... Using a leaf blower or broom, clear any remaining dust, dirt, debris, and foreign material that may prevent proper adhesion.

**No primer needed on new roofs or roofs in excellent condition. Older roofs in fair condition may need primer

I would not use TSP because it is too caustic and could ruin the finish on the exterior sidewalls of the trailer. McDave recommends to use vinegar as you did because vinegar is much milder.

I would also think that after you scrubbed your roof with a scotch brite pad that the roof would be in better than new condition.

I searched the Henry’s web page and, although I saw a few different primer products, none seemed to apply to a metal roof except if the roof already had a membrane applied like a RV or in the case of a silicone based paint to be applied, like the 887 product, which is not the case with the elastomeric 587 product.

I am now wondering if the tech was competent.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby low277 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm

At this point there isn't much I can do but hope for the best. Maybe he was being overly technical? Time will tell I guess. I'm looking forward to using it next week. I will be a support vehicle for a bicycle ride across Minnesota on Minnesota Highway #1. I'm expecting to sleep in it at least a few nights. :) :)
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 am

Hey low277,
Lets keep a couple things in mind. First, its white paint on a trailer roof. It's not really that highly technical. Secondly, the whole point of the 587 is to reflect the sun's rays so the roof won't absorb that heat. It is not intended to be a sealer or anything critical in nature, just reflect the sunlight as part of temp. management system along with insulation and climate control (A/C & Heat). You have a one piece alum. roof so leaks shouldn't be an issue. The roof is new and was prepped to remove dirt and oxidation and scuffed. That is as good of a surface as you can get for paint to bond to. If you have good solid coverage, you have achieved your goal. I would'nt give one more thought to any type of paint failure. Just sit back and enjoy the feeling of a job well done and done well. My trailer was almost ten years old when I painted the roof. I prepped it just as you did and it still looks great 2+ years later. You know how harsh the winters and summers can be up here and I have had zero problems. Relax and have a fun trip. Show off that paint job.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby low277 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks McDave! I was kind of thinking the same thing. When I talked to the guy I thought he was awful quick to tell me that it wouldn't work. I haven't read about anyone here having a roof paint failure! Sometimes there is no substitute for real world experience!!! :)
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm

low277, Howdy;
...and McDave didn't even mention the thermal expansion and contraction his goes through,
not unlike the area you're from. Just to put that bug to rest (R.I.P.).
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby low277 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 pm

I got home last night from the maiden voyage with my trailer. The Henry's 587 is still on the roof!!! It was about a 700 mile trip across northern Minnesota on state hey #1 from Olso, Mn to Illgen City, Mn. The longest state hwy in Minnesota. I was the support vehicle for a bicycle charity fundraising ride. I hauled people's gear, as well as food, water, supplies and tools for minor repairs along the way. I slept in the trailer for 6 nights in a hammock and it was pretty comfy. I do know what a hammock underquilt is now and may have to seriously look at getting one. I used the fantastic fan a few times and I'm happy with how it pulled and how maneuverable it was. I think this will be a good platform for me for a few years and hope to use it as often as I can both for my own camping weekends and as a support trailer for more bicycle rides. ☺️☺️
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 am

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Alright low! Another 587 success story. Very nice. I have found that as long as you keep your speed down below Mach 1, you shouldn't have a problem with it peeling. Any faster than that and I can't guarantee anything. Well sounds like you had a pretty good time, and it's always good to polish up your karma with some charity work if you can. Glad everything went well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:59 am

Well the weather changed my well laid plans for today so I have been sitting at the computer trying to figure out the whole picture thing. I managed to get a couple of photos into my gallery. Here goes.................151229151228
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am

Ok! its a partial success!!! I cropped the photos to about 850 x 650 but when they uploaded to the gallery they reduced even further. I am using Windows 10 and cropping them with the included photo software.

Any advice on how to get the final product closer to the optimal image size?
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

Just upload full size to a gallery service (I like imgur) and post a link, thumbnail shows to forum readers but they can click through to the full size if they want.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions