AC Is Done... Finally!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

AC Is Done... Finally!

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks to everyone here for their help in resolving my ac issue. I got it framed in and the doors reinstalled. Set the temp at 75 yesterday at 11 am. Let it run until just now and it stayed at 75, even with outdoor temps near 95. Last night at 11 pm, interior temp was 75, unit was shut off (set on energy saver), outside was about 78, so I guess it's working like it should.
Ignore the foil tape on the deflector, I'm having a custom fit metal one made
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Re: AC Is Done... Finally!

Postby m.colley » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Congrats. The install looks good.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Mrtin - Thanks. It's been an adventure.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:14 am

jwh92020 wrote:Mrtin - Thanks. It's been an adventure.

Same here. If I had it to do over again I'd have done something similar to what Don (flaboy) did or I'd have allowed space for it in the VNose. I didn't decide on final placement on mine until I had the front almost finished and I wasn't willing to take everything back down.
I like mine where it ended up though so no biggie.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:22 pm

If I had (or get) to do it again, I think I'll just bite the bullet and go roof top. I saw a CT today that had the vent area reinforced for a roof top and it had an extra roof "joist" 12" in front of the vent hole and another 12" behind. The guy said it cost him $50 extra for the 2 supports. Looked like a good idea.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Way to get it done! I am glad it works for you. AC is not an option in parts of the country this time of year if comfort is a concern. My wife calls it "life support".... not optional when she's on board.

If this smaller unit is working and meeting your air conditioning needs and you ever decide to run off a generator you'll be glad you have this AC. If you ever have to do it again... it will be easy now that you know what you are doing. It is always harder when you are inventing as you go. Nice job!

I had my roof reinforced for the AC anyhow even though that was not my intention (it was $50.00 also during the build). It is a central spot on the trailer and I can actually walk across the area with the extra joists. I know at some point I will need to service things and it is nice to have a launch pad up there.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Don,
Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, unless the zombie apocalypse happens, I don't see us using a generator. My trailer is a mobile motel room for those times I'm out of town, and boon docking is not in my wife's vocabulary. Her idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service. (That's what I get for marrying a San Diego raised woman). She doesn't "mind" camping, but she wants all the amenities she can get. Upside is, that even some of the plusher campgrounds are a lot less $ than hotel rooms when traveling across the country. Now that she sleeps in a recliner (stroke in 08 - she's fine but still chair sleeps), she's much more open to using the trailer. Actually, she wants me to sell this trailer and build a bigger one. Who am I to argue with that?
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm

jwh92020 wrote:Don,
Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, unless the zombie apocalypse happens, I don't see us using a generator. My trailer is a mobile motel room for those times I'm out of town, and boon docking is not in my wife's vocabulary. Her idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service. (That's what I get for marrying a San Diego raised woman). She doesn't "mind" camping, but she wants all the amenities she can get. Upside is, that even some of the plusher campgrounds are a lot less $ than hotel rooms when traveling across the country. Now that she sleeps in a recliner (stroke in 08 - she's fine but still chair sleeps), she's much more open to using the trailer. Actually, she wants me to sell this trailer and build a bigger one. Who am I to argue with that?

I see... the a top unit would be fine in your situation.

I tent camped for years (without my wife and daughter's) and just with my son, nephews and occasionally a few of their friends. I prefer tent camping in a lot of ways. My 2 girls rode dirtbikes and hunted and etc. with me, but never really showed much desire to go camping and roughing it. They could if they had to. I think it was the bugs (spiders mainly). They didn't deal with them too well and they hate reptiles and amphibians. When my son and I would take off on our outdoor adventures (often), my wife and girls did their things together and bonded too. Made for a happy home and they were always glad we came home in one piece.

After my son went off to college and nephews and etc.. had their own lives, I built my first CTC just so I had a place to lock up my stuff when I went into stores and some extra security ( I sleep deeply). I camp alone often now. My first CTC had no bathroom... Just a porta potty so I didn't have to go outside at night (hate the sand on the feet ... used the gatorade bottle in the tent. :-) ) and an Air conditioner. No water tanks or etc. I added solar later.

My wife and I are empty nesters now and she has shown interest in going on some of my adventures over the past few years but is use to the finer things and comfort... so I built the second CTC with her in mind.. I like it too, but if it was just me... the first one was fine.. I would have just rigged a shower up like Tommy and others have done. A shower is nice when you are out for a few days. I any case... she has camped in the new CTC with me and really appears to like it. Next year we will be doing a lot of that when I give up my career and take a year off to check a few things off the bucket list and figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I have got a spot for the Daytona Beach Biketoberfest reserved for 3 days in October. That will be our next "camping" trip together where I take the street bike and etc.. Looking forward to that. My brothers and one nephew are meeting us there. Will be a good time.

In any case.. it looks like you have a very nice "mobile Hotel Room". I think that is what Iconfabul8 is building his for also. I'd do the same in that situation. Glad to hear your wife is doing well and you still have her. Strokes are serious business.
Last edited by flboy on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm

jwh92020 wrote:If I had (or get) to do it again, I think I'll just bite the bullet and go roof top. I saw a CT today that had the vent area reinforced for a roof top and it had an extra roof "joist" 12" in front of the vent hole and another 12" behind. The guy said it cost him $50 extra for the 2 supports. Looked like a good idea.

Smartest words to hit the page on this subject in a LONG time...just sayin'

Well, I'm glad you were able to work it out to some level of satisfaction. And yes, this was a learning experience. You have passed the test young grasshopper. You learned to use the correct tool for the job, and when it comes time to make decisions about generators I hope you will reflect back on this experience and make a (one) wise decision. Don't get caught steppin' over dollars to pick up dimes. It just doesn't look good on your resume'. ... :NC ...
Here is the frame I welded in where the vent was..
I was able to obtain a 13,500 btu rooftop AC from a very generous member of this forum, for the cost of shipping alone! (Thanks again jiffypop)
Then you can have this,....
Then this,....
And finally this,..

Life is all about the journey, not the destination. ... ;) ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 pm

McDave,
Thanks for all your help through this adventure. The wife just told me that we should sell this one, get a bigger trailer and do this all over again. Apparently she wants to be able to take the dogs with us since they're getting older and she wants as much time with them as she can get. Who am I to argue with that? Using the trailer is nice, but the build is the part I enjoy (sort of goes along with the whole "it's the journey, not the destination" idea). Now to find someone who wants a cool (literally and figuratively) trailer so I can get another one ordered. I'll be asking for help on that one too, so y'all need to stick around.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am

Can't wait to see your new project.. the journey is fun and important, but you got to be careful and choose wisely. Without a destination in mind, you could end up in the bad part of town and out of gas. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions