Starting a new build! 7 vs. 8.5?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Starting a new build! 7 vs. 8.5?

Postby Rustic313 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello all,

Long time lurker here. A few years back I built a 6x12 conversion using a diamond cargo trailer. The trailer is holding up fine -- the wheels need to be aligned but that's about it. Zero other problems of any kind. However, we've added a few kids to the family and 6x12 is getting cramped.

For our next trailer we're looking at either a 7x24 or 8.5x24. We'll likely go aluminum for the weight savings (tow vehicle is rated for 6300 lbs) either way. May go a few feet shorter.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the wider trailers, good or bad. We're used to the little 6' wide which is super nimble and are a bit leery about the larger 8.5.

Upsides to the 8.5 we've identified:
- Additional space around the queen bed so we're not crawling over each other
- Space between kid's beds in the back
- More cargo room for coolers, suitcases, dog crates, etc

Thanks!
Rustic313
Teardrop Builder

Re: Starting a new build! 7 vs. 8.5?

Postby jwhite » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:06 pm

I like 7 wide I would go longer before I would go wider ? I have a 7x16 which is perfect for one person, if I were to do it again I would go 7x20 ?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm

7x24 is big 8.5x24 is huge. You state 6300 towing. But how big is the vehicle ? 8.5 is a lot of frontage ! I don't think I'd tow a 8.5x24 with less than a 3/4 ton.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:24 am

Wind load is a consideration with the wider trailer. I chose the 7ft. for that reason and better visibility. I'd go with the length before width. Also consider adding to height before width. For a camper, it makes a big difference in overall comfort and configuration. All said, this is just my opinion. With the 6,300 lb tow capacity, you will need to make some choices that put the TV in a spot where it is not maxed out with no margin.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hader » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am

I agree with jwhite and Don.

I'd add:
Extended tongue.
Wheel well inside trailer (if your design allows it).
The least length you need (not want) and add 2'.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 am

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby DirtyD1833 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:10 pm

I just went from a 7 wide to an 8 wide. The difference in interior space is immediately apparent, however, as noted above, so is the difference in towing. I am towing with a 1/2 ton, and consider if to be right at the eddge of capability. The issue is not weight as much as drag.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby m.colley » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm towing a 7'x16x6'9" now and wouldn't go any wider without having a 3/4ton truck with a diesel engine. If I were to replace the current CTC I'd go to a 7x20 and add 3 more inches in height..

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Rustic313 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Padilen wrote:7x24 is big 8.5x24 is huge. You state 6300 towing. But how big is the vehicle ? 8.5 is a lot of frontage ! I don't think I'd tow a 8.5x24 with less than a 3/4 ton.

Its a Chevy Express 2500 van. The chassis, frame, breaks etc are rated for 10K (or near to it), similar to a 3/4 ton. The limitation is the "baby duramax" 2.8L diesel and 10 speed transmission which are only rated for 6300. The van towed our SA 6x12 like there was nothing there for a two week trip this summer which was a great change from our old tow vehicle (Hyundai Santa Fe).

After doing a few layouts looks like it will be either 7x24 or 8.5x20. The 8.5 just gives a lot more flexibility to put stuff sideways. Good advice to add height too -- we were going to roll with the standard 6.5' but will add 6-12" after looking at how much storage you can get with overhead cabinets, cargo racks, bunk beds to "stack children like cordwood" (DW's term), etc.

We are planning on putting three kids, a dog, a cat and two adults in there for 2-3 weeks at a time, plus bikes/kayaks for all, and the kids are too small to kick out to a tent for a few years still hence why we're looking larger than normal for this site. The 6x12 has been such a convenient, great build I still feel guilty even thinking about something as large as we are now!

The only other variable I've identified with the 8.5s is that they're more efficient weight wise. It seems there is a lot of weight associated with each linear foot of trailer: much of it in the side walls and insulation there. The wind drag probably more than cancels that out thought.

We have friends with a commercial 8.5' RV, we're thinking about seeing if we can borrow it for an afternoon and driving around on the highway, mountain roads, state park roads, etc to see how it handles.
Rustic313
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:48 am

I've been kicking around the width issue for some time. Most 1/2 ton towable travel trailers are 8' in width; however, gross weight is reduced when frontal area gets over "X" square feet. For the designs in my head, 7' width is slightly too narrow. 8' is common, but I've found that Neo makes an all aluminum in a 7-1/2' width with partially inboard wheels. I'm leaning toward that or an 8'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rebar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm

What ever width you choose, Id keep the wheels under the trailer instead of fenders.. Never made much sense covering more ground than the trailer is wide to me..

I had a 8.5 x 24 toyhauler but it was to big. Im the outback, 4x4 type who has to get away from camp grounds and people.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm

7ft wide and 24 long is what i would do. Wider is harder to park, manuver in tight spots, see around and keep in your lane. Also wind resistance makes a much bigger difference than weight as far as how easy it is to tow.
Axle wider than the trailer gives more stability, tall skinny trailer gets knocked around/slowed down more by crosswinds and semi's coming the other way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Dieselmike1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Rustic313 wrote:
Padilen wrote:7x24 is big 8.5x24 is huge. You state 6300 towing. But how big is the vehicle ? 8.5 is a lot of frontage ! I don't think I'd tow a 8.5x24 with less than a 3/4 ton.

Its a Chevy Express 2500 van. The chassis, frame, breaks etc are rated for 10K (or near to it), similar to a 3/4 ton. The limitation is the "baby duramax" 2.8L diesel and 10 speed transmission which are only rated for 6300. The van towed our SA 6x12 like there was nothing there for a two week trip this summer which was a great change from our old tow vehicle (Hyundai Santa Fe).

After doing a few layouts looks like it will be either 7x24 or 8.5x20. The 8.5 just gives a lot more flexibility to put stuff sideways. Good advice to add height too -- we were going to roll with the standard 6.5' but will add 6-12" after looking at how much storage you can get with overhead cabinets, cargo racks, bunk beds to "stack children like cordwood" (DW's term), etc.

We are planning on putting three kids, a dog, a cat and two adults in there for 2-3 weeks at a time, plus bikes/kayaks for all, and the kids are too small to kick out to a tent for a few years still hence why we're looking larger than normal for this site. The 6x12 has been such a convenient, great build I still feel guilty even thinking about something as large as we are now!

The only other variable I've identified with the 8.5s is that they're more efficient weight wise. It seems there is a lot of weight associated with each linear foot of trailer: much of it in the side walls and insulation there. The wind drag probably more than cancels that out thought.

We have friends with a commercial 8.5' RV, we're thinking about seeing if we can borrow it for an afternoon and driving around on the highway, mountain roads, state park roads, etc to see how it handles.

I have a chevy colorado with the 2.8 baby duramax, and just bought a 7x20 stealth cargo vnose. I pulled it back empty from indiana to missouri, and i can tell you that the wind resistance is your biggest hurdle. I wouldnt want to go any wider than 7' from my experience.
Dieselmike1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

rebar wrote:What ever width you choose, Id keep the wheels under the trailer instead of fenders.. Never made much sense covering more ground than the trailer is wide to me..

I had a 8.5 x 24 toyhauler but it was to big. Im the outback, 4x4 type who has to get away from camp grounds and people.
Perhaps it's just me, but having towed a few enclosed trailers (8 ft wide) and our Puma 20 ft travel trailer (also 8 ft wide), with wheels underneath, and several open trailers like my carhauler (with the same track as the enclosed trailers), I have to say that I prefer being able to observe the wheels/tires when travelling over sketchy roads or in narrow turns.
My open carhauler has 7 ft between the fenders, with the tires (section width) protruding 11" past, on both sides, actually making it wider than the 97" of my Puma TT. But, because the tires are visible thru my side mirrors (standard-type on my '04 Chevy 2500HD, and add-on extenders on my '98 GMC extended cab), the wider carhauler is much easier to move thru narrow terrain or thru tight turns.
I've only spent a week in the Puma TT, and though crowded in with my wife and 3 very large dogs (+4 very small dogs), I don't feel that I would be noticeably more cramped if the trailer was a foot narrower (mind you that I camp in my personal 4x8 squareback TT, and like it!). Going longer, not wider would be my choice for a cargo conversion (or if I ever decide to enlarge my present personal TT). You could get increased room inside without noticeably increased drag (from a larger frontal area), and the wheels/tires would still be visible to the driver, for better judging of tire position in all situations. Just my opinion, but I'd prefer better gas mileage and probable better tire health to the extra width.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am

One size does not fit all..Need to decide the goals for your build and what is important to you. That may help you decide. I chose 7ft wide for the frontal wind profile. Also wanted the wheels where I can see them and better visibility for towing. Trailer is 18ft plus Vnose. I gave up 18 sq ft of interior space for this with the same length trailer. It works well for me and was worth the tradeoff.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions