Window coverings/curtains

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Window coverings/curtains

Postby tandempair » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 pm

We have an aluminum 12 foot cargo trailer we are in the process of converting. It has 2 side windows and a window on the door. I am wondering what others use for window coverings and how you attach them.
Thanks
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Window coverings/curtains

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:55 am

Pam,
Because of the bed springs I recommend Velcro. Mount a strip right to window frame or wall above window. Then on curtain. I don't think you'll be able to leave them on the window when raising or lowering the bed. But you never know until you try.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby tandempair » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:20 am

Good idea. Is that what you have on yours? I can't remember.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:31 am

I only have a window in my door. I bought a cheap auto shade for it.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:36 am

Padilen wrote:I only have a window in my door. I bought a cheap auto shade for it.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:34 am

• I asked my wife to make curtains from "pillow shams" that came with a "bed in a bag" set I bought at Walmart. Though I put twin mattress(es) in my 4x8 TTT, I bought king-size pillows, needing large pillow cases, and used the larger size sheets to wrap over/under the mattress, so the mattress would stay covered when I folded it backwards, to make room for cargo between the doors, when travelling. The oversized comforter, folded in half, makes a fine double-thickness covering.
  • That left the pillow shams, which made ideal, semi-obscuring covers for my 15"x 18" windows, after my wife folded one edge over. and sewed it to enclose a wooden dowel, as curtains. With the grey patterned side facing inwards, their black backside blots out most light.
  • curtains.png
    curtains.png (361.77 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
    re-purposed pillow shams matching the grey /black/silver theme (inside and out)
  • I bought a cheap set of oak towel racks from Home Depot, and modified them to serve as curtain rod brackets (drilled a pass-thru hole in one side of each to insert the dowel, painted them black, then clamping the dowel in place with spring clamps). I can easily remove the curtains for extra light, or slide/clamp them open just a little, for less light, but they allow just enough light in for me (I prefer a darkened, man-cave effect).
  • towel rack to be modified for curtains.PNG
    towel rack to be modified for curtains.PNG (178.88 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
    easy, cheap window curtain bracket assembly
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 pm

I went to Walmart and purchased for each window a set of king size pillow cases (comes in two pack). and a rod.the opposite end of where you insert the pillow is of course sealed. I just cut a small square at this closed end and threaded the rod through the pillow case. I have 30x30 windows and two king size pillow cases covered the window perfectly

Link shows using bed sheets but you can see how the rod goes through.
http://www.our-everyday-art.com/2013/05 ... s.html?m=1

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby tandempair » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 pm

I like that idea. The window in my door is frosted, so I only need to cover 2 Windows. How did you hangthese? Iam consider a poor man's curtain rod. (One my Mom used to use sometimes). Thread some string through the rod pocket. The use command hooks on each side of the window, and attach string from the curtain to that. My Mom used to do this with nails. This actually worked pretty good. It was usually a temporary thing, until we had enough money for curtain rods. (We moved a lt when I was growing up, so lots of houses, not all had curtain rods)
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions