window unit idea???

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

window unit idea???

Postby Builder-Billiam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Ok so I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 7x14 v nose. I have everything figured out but the AC. I was thinking of making a cabinet front that would go wall to wall across the unit just inside the door up front before the unit starts to V inward. I was going to make a counter top over it so that I would have a place to set things, and a cabinet that was almost 7 feet across and pie shapes to the center. My question is, if i make a compartment in the center of this cabinet and seal it off all the way to the floor, can't I just remove the floor in that section and wouldn't that allow the AC to breath properly? That way the outside air would just raise up through the cutout in the floor and around the sealed off AC unit. This would allow me to maintain a nice appearance on the inside, without the AC having to be cut through the wall and hang outside the unit. This way, when you looked at the cabinet front, the AC would have a nice flush mounted face, and the body would be hid inside that cabinet space (without a floor). I would probably make the compartment about 6 inches wider on each side than the AC itself, and there would be almost a foot of space in the back between the back of the ac and the wall. There would be screen installed underneath the whole pie section where the floor was removed to keep rodents out, and the entire cavity would be sealed water tight from underneath so that water splashing up under wouldn't hurt anything while going down the road.

And to try to get ahead of why I don't just want a roof unit, I just personally don't like them as well. I know my 2000 watt inverter will power up and run a 6,500 or maybe even a 8,000btu
window ac but it will not do a 13000 roof unit. Also I think the 8000 wall unit will POSSIBLY cool better than the 13,000 roof unit.
Builder-Billiam
Teardrop Inspector

Re: window unit idea???

Postby NO David! » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:45 pm

This should prove interesting to you, my version is in there too.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438#p920256

look at iconfabul8 for his inside ramp door mount.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Hader » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:23 am

See if this would work for you as is, or modify it to be at a higher location. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67319&start=105
It's working very well me.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 am

Keep in mind that you need two separated air paths to the back of the unit - intake to the sides and top and exhaust from the rear.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 am

Do as search on this thread. This topic has been discussed quite a bit. Lots of options. Just depends on your constraints.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Builder-Billiam wrote: And to try to get ahead of why I don't just want a roof unit, I just personally don't like them as well. I know my 2000 watt inverter will power up and run a 6,500 or maybe even a 8,000btu
window ac but it will not do a 13000 roof unit. Also I think the 8000 wall unit will POSSIBLY cool better than the 13,000 roof unit.

:lol: :lol:

Or not.
Headshake, Facepalm, Waa waa waa, (sad trombone) :oops: :(

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Builder-Billiam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Whats up with you McDave?

I don't get your sarcastic response. I have had two roof unit 13000 btu units that performed pretty bad where as I PERSONALLY have not had any bad experiences with the little 5k-8.5k window units.
I apologize for making the assumption that we were all adults here and that one was able to ask a question without being ridiculed. Hope you have a nice day McDave !!!!!!

To other members...........Is this normal behavior for this forum?
Builder-Billiam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am

I think you are reading more into McDaves response than was intended. Having been around here awhile I've learned and you probably will too, that he is a very helpful guy with some of the best knee jerk responses. I highly doubt he was intending to offend. Oh and welcome to the forum glad to have you aboard.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby m.colley » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 am

Builder,
There's been alot of discussion on this forum about AC installs, hacks, ideas etc. Some of us like the roof top units, some window Ac's and there's a few here that cool their trailers with mini splits. Some members prefer one unit over the other.
My 7x16 is cooled by a 8000 btu window unit and cools nicely. Yesterday it was 91 degrees outside@ 5pm and 89 inside the CTC. The window unit pulled it down to 74 in a matter of hours and was cycling on and off. So I know a 8000 should cool yours nicely. Install will be the difference.
You'll need both intake and exhaust openings if you don't cut a hole and stick the back out of your CTC. Size your holes based off of the square inches of louvers your window unit has from the factory. Remember heat rises naturally.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby markp1988 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am

NO David! wrote:This should prove interesting to you, my version is in there too.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438#p920256

look at iconfabul8 for his inside ramp door mount.

How is this setup working for you have there been any issues?
markp1988
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Builder-Billiam » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:58 am

m.colley wrote:Builder,
There's been alot of discussion on this forum about AC installs, hacks, ideas etc. Some of us like the roof top units, some window Ac's and there's a few here that cool their trailers with mini splits. Some members prefer one unit over the other.
My 7x16 is cooled by a 8000 btu window unit and cools nicely. Yesterday it was 91 degrees outside@ 5pm and 89 inside the CTC. The window unit pulled it down to 74 in a matter of hours and was cycling on and off. So I know a 8000 should cool yours nicely. Install will be the difference.
You'll need both intake and exhaust openings if you don't cut a hole and stick the back out of your CTC. Size your holes based off of the square inches of louvers your window unit has from the factory. Remember heat rises naturally.

Martin

Thank you Martin!!!
This is the exact kind of help I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time. Have a nice day... :thumbsup:
Builder-Billiam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:26 pm

You aked for other member's thoughts on McDave's post. I see no sarcasm intended on his part. I am pretty sure many of us have gotten comments on our posted that could be taken different ways. I also believe that there are very good people on this forum and many times one must learn to read between the lines.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Builder-Billiam, Howdy;

Builder-Billiam wrote:Whats up with you McDave?

I don't get your sarcastic response. I have had two roof unit 13000 btu units that performed pretty bad where as I PERSONALLY have not had any bad experiences with the little 5k-8.5k window units.
I apologize for making the assumption that we were all adults here and that one was able to ask a question without being ridiculed. Hope you have a nice day McDave !!!!!!

To other members...........Is this normal behavior for this forum?

McDave is ... well, McDave, might be a tad rough around the rounded edges, might like to smoke a cigar, he is who he is . < that's a period there.
Most of us here tend to respond well to positive input from others. Some need to relax the starch in their khakis and realize that everything
about these CT conversations is "subject to change", constantly. < 'nuther period there. Ideas "set in stone" will end up in broken chunks.
Please, go back and visit McDave's profile page and read some of his past posts before condemning him to the place we don't talk about ...
Also, lighten up a tad, you're the new kid on the block but ya don't need to pick a verbal wrestling match with one of the seasoned hands here
to establish yourself here.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Builder-Billiam » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:25 pm

I tell you what. I can assure you that I am NOT looking for a "verbal wrestling match" with anyone. Im too old and don't have time for it, HOWEVER, I don't care if someone is a seasoned member, paying member, or the founder of the dang site, there is NO need to be rude to people. I was raised in the south, and taught to treat people with respect.....PERIOD! Its one thing to post a confused face, or a palm slap, or what not. Its quite another to go on and on and on about it in the very first comment that you make to someone who is simply looking for help.
I was seriously drawn to this site do to it being older members that act polite and generally try to help each other out.

A little about me.......I have done three cargo trailer conversions, and used roof AC's twice and a stand alone once. I was really never happy with either option, and was looking at the window AC as another choice. I am a custom home builder by trade and I know everything I want to do on my next build, except the AC situation. Im just not familiar with window units because I have NEVER been around them and thought this was the place to find out. I was not coming on here looking to be made an idiot. I will stay off his threads and hopefully he will grant me the same respect!

Now, I am done with this........CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT AC units??......loL
Besides.......If I wanted drama, I would go to the local bingo parlor or tupperware party down the street or something ;)
Builder-Billiam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 pm

A window unit will work just fine. I have used them twice in two builds myself with great results as have many others. They are a good size for a smaller CTC that is insulated well and doesn't need a larger unit and larger generator to do the job. How you install the AC and how you insulate will determine the results. A lot of info in the threads. I have to repost my pics due to the Photobucket fiasco.. Do you have any constraints on how you will install? Out the back, in a cabinet, up high, on the floor, etc.? Give us your toughts... most likely been done before and someone can help you acieve your design goals.

My goal was to run off solar for a few hours at a time in rest stops or on a 2kw maximum generator when boondocking, and to cool adequately on the hottest Fl. days. I also wanted to have the air up high to blow on my loft bed and keep my existing top vent space available for the Maxair fan which sees more use than the AC itself over the course of the year and seasons. To that end, the whole system needs to be considered.. volume to cool, insulation, typical worse case temps, humidity. etc.

With your goals in mind, I am sure the good folks on this forum will step up to offer some ideas to get you started.

BTW, I used a 6000 BTU in my 7*18 with 7.5 ft interior height build. If I ever need to replace, I will go to 8000 btu like Martin has. I have no problem maintaining the cool trailer and it does pull down, but I would like to see it pull down to temp a little quicker than it does on the worst days when turned on in the peak heat of the day. The 8000 BTU won't violate any of the other goals I had regarding solar or etc..

PS. I may have missed some info in your earlier posts and see now you did state some constraints and goals. Sorry, I am on the smartphone and remote with poor connections. Best of luck to you. Looks like others have chimed in. Ditto on dual air paths. Separate intake and exhaust paths with adequate volume.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions