hey carpet on the walls?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: hey carpet on the walls?

Postby greygoos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm

mcubberley wrote:Do you think it might help prevent wall condensation on uninsulated 3/4" plywood walls in a tear? The Habitat Re-Store sells those glue on squares by the metric ton. Just a thought.

Yes it will help reduce condensation. My suggestion is to staple them on, you can always take them down and make a change down the road.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby mcubberley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 pm

greygoos wrote:
mcubberley wrote:Do you think it might help prevent wall condensation on uninsulated 3/4" plywood walls in a tear? The Habitat Re-Store sells those glue on squares by the metric ton. Just a thought.

Yes it will help reduce condensation. My suggestion is to staple them on, you can always take them down and make a change down the road.

Not a bad thought at all.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby mikegt4 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 pm

When I converted my cargo van to a camper I used indoor/outdoor carpeting on the walls and ceiling. I used 1/4' (5mm) luan (took a while to find decent sheets) and glued the carpet to that using 3M #90 spray glue (3M #70 glue will release in the interior heat). My van has grey interior in the front so grey carpet matched great. The carpet is cheap at most big box stores and adds insulation and sound deadening qualities as well. My camper interior components are easily removable reverting the van to it's original cargo van configuration with carpeted walls and ceiling. The carpet takes the scrapes and bumps from cargo without damage to the walls or cargo.
mikegt4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ibbuckshot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 am

Greeting folks,
I am building my Kiss Camper and plan on using carpeting to luan plywood on the entire interior before installing any thing else......My question is when I glue the carpeting to the ceiling I was going to also use staples to insure the carpet will not later droop.....After time will the staples begin to rust and cause rust stains on the ceiling ? ? ? Thanks for your ideas and advice....
Have fun,
buckshot 8)
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
ibbuckshot
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 am

Looks like they make stainless staples.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Faste ... /203030843
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:41 am

greygoos wrote:
mcubberley wrote:Do you think it might help prevent wall condensation on uninsulated 3/4" plywood walls in a tear?

* Though not a cargo conversion, I did use uninsulated 3/4" plywood on my 4x8TTT. There are times camping (in Texas & Oklahoma, not the great white north) that were moderately cold outside, and the interior walls would get cold & almost damp (no real condensation to speak of, because of good ventilation). I would sometimes contact the walls when I rolled over at night (46.5" between walls), and the cold touch would waken me.

* So, I bought two cheap 18x18 black mats and screwed them to the walls. Problem solved. I had previously intended to retro-fit insulation inside, but that would've required major disassembly of PL-glued-on woodwork, and wasn't worth the effort...I just carry enough gear to warm or cool the trailer, in our mostly hot Texas climate. But, the carpet-mats did the trick, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them throughout a trailer (but, no shag carpeting, or leaving windows open in a very dusty wind!).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ibbuckshot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Iconfabul 8,
Thank you for the heads up on the stainless staples.... :applause: ..These should do the trick for my Kiss Camper ceiling/carpeting....
Thanks again.
Have fun,.... 8)
buckshot
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
ibbuckshot
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm

I did the carpet on the ceiling and walls, and yes I used staples and glue. Well, spray adhesive to more exact. The best advice I can give you is to get a helper for this job. There is a lot going on and the clock is ticking once you spray the glue. I really used the staples to tack carpet in place while I worked the wrinkles and slack out and pulled it all taught. I don't think I used stainless staples but I haven't seen any rust yet, 3yrs or so. I also used battens across the ceiling screwed into the roof spars, and at the top and bottom of the walls, screwed into the studs. I was working alone and that helped to make it more manageable. I also added a hand rail down each wall and LED lighting behind for a nice indirect effect. These pics are not great but you can get the idea...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 pm

We did carpet on the lower part of the walls in our 6x12 V-nose conversion. We decided on that to keep scuffs to a minimum when using it to haul. We installed e-track right over the carpet near the bottom of the walls. One added benefit: When we're sleeping and brush up against it, it feels nice and comfortable.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am

ibbuckshot wrote:Iconfabul 8,
Thank you for the heads up on the stainless staples.... :applause: ..These should do the trick for my Kiss Camper ceiling/carpeting....
Thanks again.
Have fun,.... 8)
buckshot

You can also get plastic composite staples too. I use these in boat building and other wood working applications.

https://raptornails.com/
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 am

ibbuckshot wrote:My question is when I glue the carpeting to the ceiling I was going to also use staples to insure the carpet will not later droop.....After time will the staples begin to rust and cause rust stains on the ceiling ? ? ?

i would recommend upholstery washers and screws to hold the carpet up. easier to remove and less risk of pulling out
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm

working on it wrote:
greygoos wrote:
mcubberley wrote:Do you think it might help prevent wall condensation on uninsulated 3/4" plywood walls in a tear?

* Though not a cargo conversion, I did use uninsulated 3/4" plywood on my 4x8TTT. There are times camping (in Texas & Oklahoma, not the great white north) that were moderately cold outside, and the interior walls would get cold & almost damp (no real condensation to speak of, because of good ventilation). I would sometimes contact the walls when I rolled over at night (46.5" between walls), and the cold touch would waken me.

* So, I bought two cheap 18x18 black mats and screwed them to the walls. Problem solved. I had previously intended to retro-fit insulation inside, but that would've required major disassembly of PL-glued-on woodwork, and wasn't worth the effort...I just carry enough gear to warm or cool the trailer, in our mostly hot Texas climate. But, the carpet-mats did the trick, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them throughout a trailer (but, no shag carpeting, or leaving windows open in a very dusty wind!).

Great use of affordable materials!

Something worth pointing out is the difference between conductive heat transfer across a medium vs. between surfaces....

Stay with me! Lol. For example: Say it's a hot day outside. You touch a metal fence post. It feels super hot. Then you touch a plastic fence post. It feels a lot cooler. In actuality, the two fence posts might be the same temperature ... but the metal post will conduct heat to your skin a lot faster than the plastic one. Therefore, it feels hotter.

So, carpet on the walls is a great idea! Just remember: It doesn't necessarily dramatically improve the R-value of your camper. But as you've pointed out, it FEELS a lot cooler/warmer to the touch, and that's just as important.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions