6x12 build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 build

Postby Padilen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm

RV doors are usually made with a foam core. Nothing to "open".
The barn doors if they are similar to my ramp, just remove the paneling/plywood. Not sure as I have a ramp. Bolts for hinges maybe through to interior?.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:09 pm

fourbtgait wrote:Typical, I cannot blame them. 17" wide, cut ply 16". Otherwise you waste money.
Probably put 1/4" birch beadboard over it.

Thats why I stood mine up after insulating, I used pine lath strips at the small seam/gap left after rehanging. The lath also helped hide the screw heads at the seams.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Padilen wrote:RV doors are usually made with a foam core. Nothing to "open".
The barn doors if they are similar to my ramp, just remove the paneling/plywood. Not sure as I have a ramp. Bolts for hinges maybe through to interior?.

Thank you. The only reason to open the rv door was to insulate it if needed. I was thinking of putting a window in it which would need wood stiffners added, which possibly could be done without taking the skin fully off.

I am sure the ramp construcrion is same as barn doors. Yes, the hinge bolts go clear thru, looking at it as you said, I should be able to just take the inside wood skin off.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:18 pm

m.colley wrote:
fourbtgait wrote:Typical, I cannot blame them. 17" wide, cut ply 16". Otherwise you waste money.
Probably put 1/4" birch beadboard over it.

Thats why I stood mine up after insulating, I used pine lath strips at the small seam/gap left after rehanging. The lath also helped hide the screw heads at the seams.

Martin

My screws are set flush with the 3/8" ply. The gap doesnt bother me, I was simply going to overlay it with either 1/8 or 1/4" panel. She is thinking 1/4" birch bead board.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:22 pm

For those that have barn doors and open them to 90* from the trailer, not all the way open and tied back, not inline with the sides, but standing straight out from the sides.....
Do you have a method of holding them open securely thus? Looking at having a drop down counter on each door for use as needed.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 am

fourbtgait wrote:
Padilen wrote:RV doors are usually made with a foam core. Nothing to "open".

Thank you. The only reason to open the rv door was to insulate it if needed. I was thinking of putting a window in it which would need wood stiffners added, which possibly could be done without taking the skin fully off.

I am sure the ramp construcrion is same as barn doors. Yes, the hinge bolts go clear thru, looking at it as you said, I should be able to just take the inside wood skin off.

I don't think you can remove the skin they are bonded together. I added a window and did not install anything. But maybe you could add paneling to the interior then add window.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby fourbtgait » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:14 am

I don't think you can remove the skin they are bonded together. I added a window and did not install anything. But maybe you could add paneling to the interior then add window.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Makes sense, just like a regular insulated exterior metal door is.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:23 am

Here is what my " take out" looks like
ImageImage

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rxberg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

fourbtgait wrote:For those that have barn doors and open them to 90* from the trailer, not all the way open and tied back, not inline with the sides, but standing straight out from the sides.....
Do you have a method of holding them open securely thus? Looking at having a drop down counter on each door for use as needed.

I'm wondering the same thing. My plan at this point is to make a gate drop bolt out of rebar, but I'm definitely open to suggestion.

Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby beachguy005 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:57 pm

rxberg wrote:
fourbtgait wrote:For those that have barn doors and open them to 90* from the trailer, not all the way open and tied back, not inline with the sides, but standing straight out from the sides.....

I'm wondering the same thing. My plan at this point is to make a gate drop bolt out of rebar, but I'm definitely open to suggestion.

If you're thinking that way, just get a length of 1/2" EMT and a couple of 2 hole straps. Five bucks to do both doors. Easy to stow the pipe away when not in use and just have the straps attached to the inside of the door.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 pm

[quote="Padilen"]Here is what my " take out" looks like

Padilen,
Thanks for posting that photo. I have been wondering what the RV door looked like inside. Now the mystery is solved.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby m.colley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

fourbtgait wrote:I am sure the ramp construcrion is same as barn doors. Yes, the hinge bolts go clear thru, looking at it as you said, I should be able to just take the inside wood skin off.

My ramp door isn't built anything like any trailer barn doors or RV door I've ever seen. The exterior is skinned in aluminum like the rest of the trailer, the inner frame is built like my trailers side walls ( 1x 1 1/2 14g tubing) but stiffer ( more bracing ) then skinned with 3/4 plywood on the interior side. I pulled the 3/4 ply and insulated the ramp when I cut and braced it for my window ac install.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Padilen wrote:Here is what my " take out" looks like
ImageImage

Thank you, explains a lot.
What size window did you put in?
Translucent?
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:51 pm

rxberg wrote:

That simply drop into the ground?
One could put an eye bolt into the bottom edge of the door, another eye bolt bottom edge of trailer frame, then run a long rod, 3/8" dia with a bend each end to go into the eye bolts.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:54 pm

m.colley wrote:
fourbtgait wrote:I am sure the ramp construcrion is same as barn doors. Yes, the hinge bolts go clear thru, looking at it as you said, I should be able to just take the inside wood skin off.

My ramp door isn't built anything like any trailer barn doors or RV door I've ever seen. The exterior is skinned in aluminum like the rest of the trailer, the inner frame is built like my trailers side walls ( 1x 1 1/2 14g tubing) but stiffer ( more bracing ) then skinned with 3/4 plywood on the interior side. I pulled the 3/4 ply and insulated the ramp when I cut and braced it for my window ac install.

Martin

Stands to reason the barn door has fewer 1" framing than a ramp. My inner skin is probably 1/8 or 3/16
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions