What tool to use???

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

What tool to use???

Postby pk4013 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I have a 7x14 CT that I am beginning to work on. I am scared to death to cut into the sides and roof!!! The 2 large holes that I have to cut are for the ac, 1 on the roof and 1 on the side as well as some of the smaller holes that I will need. I was just wondering what tool or tools and advice you guys recommend for cutting the skin of the trailer.
Thanks in advance.
pk4013
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What tool to use???

Postby ffemtp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Be sure the skin is covered with something you can draw on (like blue masking tape because it won't leave a residue). Mark your lines clearly on the tape. Then somewhere inside the tape, use a sharp instrument (like a hatchet) to get a hole started. Then use sheet metal shears to carefully move to your line and then trim along the lines you drew on the tape. If it is a small hole, use a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool.
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Postby ffemtp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm

ffemtp wrote:Be sure the skin is covered with something you can draw on (like blue masking tape because it won't leave a residue). Mark your lines clearly on the tape. Then somewhere inside the tape, use a sharp instrument (like a hatchet) to get a hole started. Then use sheet metal shears to carefully move to your line and then trim along the lines you drew on the tape. If it is a small hole, use a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I've never done it on a trailer but for sheet metal, hard to beat a nibbler for control and ease.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Alot of ways to go about it. I think most folks make the best of the tools they already have.

That hatchet method scares me. It never occurred to me to take a hatchet to my trailer. LOL. :-)

After taping off the lines to cut, I drilled pilot holes and used a jigsaw with a good metal blade to cut from the outside. That also allowed me to cut the studs at the same time and wood backing as needed. Seemed to work well for me. All simple tools readily available.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I would say Jigsaw too if no nibbler is available and I am pretty mean with a Sawzall too but in a good way!

That Hatchet idea is one I can not see myself wanting to try?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby ffemtp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:16 pm

flboy wrote:Alot of ways to go about it. I think most folks make the best of the tools they already have.

That hatchet method scares me. It never occurred to me to take a hatchet to my trailer. LOL. :-)

After taping off the lines to cut, I drilled pilot holes and used a jigsaw with a good metal blade to cut from the outside. That also allowed me to cut the studs at the same time and wood backing as needed. Seemed to work well for me. All simple tools readily available.

The hatchet was literally a couple of very light taps and I was through (made me realize how unsecured an enclosed trailer really is). The new opening allowed me to get my shears into the metal with ease.

My concern in using a jigsaw was the vibration of the aluminum with a 15" span between ribs. One point to mention is that my interior walls were completely down when I used this method.
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:25 pm

I am sure it looked worse than it was. All good. :-)

My studs were 16 inches on center also and no vibe issues for me except last few inches. Maybe the sawblade type?

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I've never done it on a trailer but for sheet metal, hard to beat a nibbler for control and ease.

I did not know what a nibbler was until I read your post and googled the tool. If and when I cut holes in my aluminum skin (.040 inches thick material which I think is almost 10 gauge) I will use a nibbler.

HF has one for $26 at

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-gauge- ... 96661.html

This short video shows a nibbler in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxAc7T4_LE

I would cut the posts with a jig saw the way flboy cut his as further explained on his build page.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZDog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm

I used to cut sunroofs into cars with a nibbling tool and they are great and easy to master and control,at least for me.

I imagine the Hatchet was just a handy sharp edge to start the hole but........well you know!

There are Jig Saws and Sawzall and then there are great ones too and all of my comments really come with the caveat that I am using a Bosch Orbital saw period.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:25 pm

i used a roto-zip to cut my openings and a jig saw to cut through the stud. it does a nice job but you have to be careful as it has a tendency to wander.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm

I have a little a little hand nibbler that is amazingly fast. I use it to cut holes in plates for electrical devices.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions