Anticipation....

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Anticipation....

Postby FlyBye » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm

The Count Down Begins...

Made the deposit today, so the process has officially begun. Six to eight weeks is the "published" incubation period for the custom build to be ready, but this particular company was able to get my parents cargo trailer finished in about four weeks and they had A/C, windows, extended tongue and a few other custom odds and end. We can hardly wait.

Anticipation... It's almost like a ketchup commercial!
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Re: Anticipation....

Postby FlyBye » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

"Are we there yet?", "How much further?"... Those were just some of the questions that my brothers and I always asked when we were just "knee-highs". We wouldn't have been gone two minutes out of our subdivision to some distant trek we had planned for vacation before hearing those relentless questions over and over. I remember one year, we had just left the house to cross several States on our way to Florida when the eager and anxious questions began to rear their ugly heads. "Are we there yet?, How much further?" when my father belted out and laid down a stern warning... "If anybody, I mean anybody asks those questions again before we get there... I gonna just turn around and go back home!

I remember thinking "Whoa there pony! It's time for my brothers and I to calm down a notch, enjoy the ride, fellowship and make sure no one, I mean no one asks those pesky questions again or they would endure a 'beat-down' that would make MMA/UFC look like an afternoon in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood!"

So even though I'm still thinking, if not asking, Is the Cargo Trailer finished yet? How much longer?, I will do my upmost best not to keep pestering everyone with my humble anticipation frustrations, after all this is just day two! :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am

Ha! Funny, but true. Best to burn off that nervous energy gathering and prepping. The sky is the limit and these projects can get the creative juices flowing. Just remember to have fun with it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Hypothetically Speaking...

Postby FlyBye » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Hypothetically Speaking...

Once upon a time, way back when... I once knew a fella who knew a fella who had a remote-distant cousin who ordered four scissor-jacks for their cargo trailer build. That well meaning intellectual giant had read where others that purchased 3500lb jacks were often complaining of one of their jacks breaking within the first week. He surmised that there probably wasn't a problem with the jacks themselves (since they were all from different companies), but were more than likely operator errors. He felt like the entire lot of "bad jacks" were due to the owners using them to lift the trailers instead of just leveling them!

Regardless of the previous owner errors, this fine, outstanding he-man wanted to avoid any possibilities of weak and inferior workmanship so he ordered four 5,000lb scissor-jacks for his humble 7x16x7 camper wanta-be. When they arrived he noticed that box itself would more than likely need a fork-lift to carry the over-sized box to an area suitable for opening. The ad itself mentioned that they were 24 inches and our hypothetical hero just assumed that the 24 inches meant the lifting distance not how long the arms were when packed. Dude! The weight of those rascals had to weigh more that the refrigerator... and that would be loaded with a side of beef! They had to have been designed for either lifting armored tanks in the Persian Gulf or to raise modern sky-scrapers during construction.

Well... Lesson learned for our hypothetical friend. Maybe it will save another weary lad from the dangers of over-purchasing, over-building and over-thinking! I hope it will... especially since I can't send these back! :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Great you can laugh at yourself.

:roll: I've bought other things. Just
not that spectacular an oopsss.
:oops:
You are in good company.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Not sure if these are what you thought were over kill, but I will be installing these on my 6 X12 tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Series-1400 ... 1438.l2649
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby FlyBye » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:Not sure if these are what you thought were over kill, but I will be installing these on my 6 X12 tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about it.

That's pretty nice, but not what I was referring to. Mine are scissor-jacks that are used for leveling the trailer. There are usually four per trailer except mine are about as big as the trailer itself! I just weighed them and they (all 4) are just over 50lbs. That's a lot of extra weight. I think that the scissor-jacks that came with one of my cars several years ago must have weighed about 1.5-2lbs., any way huge difference. I'll probably keep 'em because I never know when or if I'll let the trailer hang over the Grand Canyon and just stabilize the trailer from the canyon floor all the way up to the canyon's rim! :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 pm

You kinda peaked my curiosity about the weight of my leveling jacks. So I threw one on the scales. These beasts come in at a hefty 20 lbs Each. :shock: A little heavier than I thought it would be, but weight is not a major factor for me in this case. Still want to put them on, just not going to get them installed as soon as I was hoping.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:You kinda peaked my curiosity about the weight of my leveling jacks. So I threw one on the scales. These beasts come in at a hefty 20 lbs Each. :shock: A little heavier than I thought it would be...

I think I might just rent a Circus Elephant to carry mine around until I get 'em under the trailer! If you like I'll look around for any "beasts of burden" at reasonable rental rates for you also?
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I had rear jacks installed and glad the sales person recommended them for 50.00, when I started out I used them all the time now 7 years later I never use them just another thing less to do the better.
But I do have a double axle trailer and I almost never unhook the truck and trailer even when I am at home and I don't see the need to use them.
I guess if I had more adult people walking around inside I would use them.?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Well I just had to give the cargo trailer manufacture a call yesterday. I couldn't wait any longer... I knew that it didn't have enough time to be completed yet, but hey... nothing is wrong with just checking the status of the build is there? ... Looks like I've got about two weeks left before the big day! Anticipation... boy, oh boy... Did I mention that I am excited! :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions