Wall covering question from new guy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Wall covering question from new guy

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:22 am

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have a 6x12 V Nose Tandem trailer on order. I should have it in a couple of weeks. I will be using it to haul my Harley Tri-Glide back and forth to Phoenix from my home in Kansas City. I would also like to set it up for some light camping. I got the electrical package with the trailer, so I will have AC power available when camping at KOA type sites. Don't think we will doing any boondocking. I have been reading this forum a while and I see many, many great idea. One of my first projects will be to get the walls and ceiling insulated. My question is about wall covering after the insulation is in and the plywood is back up. What are the options for something to go over the stock plywood? Paneling, paint, carpet, etc. Pictures of finished walls will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Wall covering question from new guy

Postby McDave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 am

Hello and Welcome phoenixbound,
Wow! Tri Glide you say. Very nice. I'm still able to ride my Street Glide and I still love it but I have been eyeballin' the trikes ever since I saw the FLHXXX. The Tri Glide is much nicer and I hope I can afford one when the time comes!
So I chose carpet as a wall treatment for several reasons. First and most important is I really like the look. It gives a trailer a softer, upholstered finished look, more like a car or van as opposed to a house or garage on wheels. Secondly was ease of installation. I just stapled at the top and bottom and came back with trim to cover and hold at top. The material I used was indoor/ outdoor rugs from Home Depot. The size was 8'x6' which is exactly the size of the walls and ceiling in the cargo area. They were $15.00 each shipped! Also, they are pretty damn tuff. and you can just hose em' down. They probably don't have any real insulation value but it feels like they do. Two years now and I love it. Here is the link, I used the Granite on the walls and the Taupe on the ceiling.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042701

Here are a couple wall shots,
[img]1211161217[/img]
[img 1211161217b][/img]

The rail running down the center is more decorative than anything else. I wanted some indirect lighting and this worked out perfect. All the light for these pics. came from those lights, I have no windows.
[img]1211161216a[/img]
Good Luck with your trailer, I'll be watchin for ya'...

McDave

OK that didn't work. I'll try again later to get the wall pics. Having trouble with the gallery.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 am

Great idea, much appreciated. My wife and I love the Tri-Glide. Using the trailer to haul it to Phoenix since we will be going in Dec and the weather between here and there can get nasty that time of year. I will take a look at those carpets. Thanks.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 pm

I know this is a long shot, but do you have a item/stock number for the rug? Or, was it cut after you bought it? Just checking. Thanks again.

McDave wrote:Hello and Welcome phoenixbound,
Wow! Tri Glide you say. Very nice. I'm still able to ride my Street Glide and I still love it but I have been eyeballin' the trikes ever since I saw the FLHXXX. The Tri Glide is much nicer and I hope I can afford one when the time comes!
So I chose carpet as a wall treatment for several reasons. First and most important is I really like the look. It gives a trailer a softer, upholstered finished look, more like a car or van as opposed to a house or garage on wheels. Secondly was ease of installation. I just stapled at the top and bottom and came back with trim to cover and hold at top. The material I used was indoor/ outdoor rugs from Home Depot. The size was 8'x6' which is exactly the size of the walls and ceiling in the cargo area. They were $15.00 each shipped! Also, they are pretty damn tuff. and you can just hose em' down. They probably don't have any real insulation value but it feels like they do. Two years now and I love it. Here is the link, I used the Granite on the walls and the Taupe on the ceiling.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042701

Here are a couple wall shots,
[img]1211161217[/img]
[img 1211161217b][/img]

The rail running down the center is more decorative than anything else. I wanted some indirect lighting and this worked out perfect. All the light for these pics. came from those lights, I have no windows.
[img]1211161216a[/img]
Good Luck with your trailer, I'll be watchin for ya'...

McDave

OK that didn't work. I'll try again later to get the wall pics. Having trouble with the gallery.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Yes, if you click on the link posted there, it will take you right to the Granite colored rug. The Taupe colored one is also on that page, just click on it. In case that link isn't working, here is the info, Model # CN19N32PJ1H1 Internet #202042701
Foss Hobnail Granite 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug and Model # CN19N40PJ1H1 Internet #202042703 Foss Hobnail Taupe 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug.
Here are some more wall shots and one of the rail and lights. I don't seem to have a ceiling shot, but I'll get one for you.
I use this trailer for hauling the Street Glide and camping at motorcycle rallies. Just returned from Sturgis. It's a basic set up compared to some, but I'm getting there. It's a 6'x12' Pace. Shower, toilet, 12v vent/fan/light, Rooftop air cond. with 1500wt heater, Microwave, RV Fridge, Propane Instant hot water, Generator, LED lighting, Deep cycle battery, Propane Heater, 25gal fresh tank, 30gal black tank, 10'x8' awning, TV, Stereo, etc.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm

I plan on using marine hull liner. But I haven't sourced it yet. Anybody used it as a wall covering?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Lots of builders on here have used hull liner. I think it can be pricey. Do a search up top for hull liner
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby fourbtgait » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm

McDave wrote:Here are some more wall shots and one of the rail and lights. I don't seem to have a ceiling shot, but I'll get one for you.
I use this trailer for hauling the Street Glide and camping at motorcycle rallies. Just returned from Sturgis. It's a basic set up compared to some, but I'm getting there. It's a 6'x12' Pace. Shower, toilet, 12v vent/fan/light, Rooftop air cond. with 1500wt heater, Microwave, RV Fridge, Propane Instant hot water, Generator, LED lighting, Deep cycle battery, Propane Heater, 25gal fresh tank, 30gal black tank, 10'x8' awning, TV, Stereo, etc.

McDave

How did you fit that into 12'?
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 am

fourbtgait wrote:
McDave wrote:Here are some more wall shots and one of the rail and lights. I don't seem to have a ceiling shot, but I'll get one for you.

McDave

How did you fit that into 12'?

And still have room for the Glide... or the Chief. Measure twice, then make a new plan. It wasn't easy, but most of that list is outside. Rooftop a/c, genny, fresh and black tanks and awning outside. I have a "wet bath" set up like you would see in a pickup camper or Dolphin style RV, so shower, toilet, vent fan combo and H20 heater in there. It's tight, like 3'x3'. Power center, deep cycle, water pump, propane tank, stinky slinky and some tools and parts etc. are along the front wall, floor level in separate compartments, some vented , some not. Above that is the "Mini Bar", sink and storage for paper goods and dishes/ pans etc. The microwave sits behind the sink, and the fridge above that at eye level. My wife is tiny so she loves it, but I am not a vegetarian or a fitness buff really. 6'0" and 215lbs of bacon eating, cigar smokin', Jameson drinkin' osteoarthritis. Cocked, Locked, and ready for a sandwich. And maybe a short nap.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks a bunch. I should have looked closer at the reply.

McDave wrote:Yes, if you click on the link posted there, it will take you right to the Granite colored rug. The Taupe colored one is also on that page, just click on it. In case that link isn't working, here is the info, Model # CN19N32PJ1H1 Internet #202042701
Foss Hobnail Granite 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug and Model # CN19N40PJ1H1 Internet #202042703 Foss Hobnail Taupe 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug.
Here are some more wall shots and one of the rail and lights. I don't seem to have a ceiling shot, but I'll get one for you.

McDave

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 am

Here is what I did

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65711&hilit=ezdog

I just bought a 35' long single piece of roll carpet 6' high from Lowes and rolled it out around the perimeter of the trailer.took about an hour to roll out and screw in lightly around the top and bottom of the walls at a few spots mostly to get any wrinkles out and get it stretched a very little bit.

Sounds great and looks eve better and will be easily changed if I want too sometime!

I plan to trim it all out with cedar at some point but have not gotten around to it yet somehow?

The carpet is much better to me than the plywood for sure.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Newt182 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 am

This is the carpet I used. It's lightweight, does not have a heavy backing to it so it's very easy to work with. They have it in a few colors but i think the Grey looks best. I found this to be cheaper than paneling at about .40/SqFt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Elevations-Color-Sky-Grey-Ribbed-Indoor-Outdoor-12-ft-Carpet-7PD5N660144H/203240740

I put it up with 3M Heavy Duty Adhesive spray which works well but I have found that it does pull away at the bottom easily so I am going to use some kind of base board trim to hold it down.

Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby phoenixbound » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Hey McDave,

Reply to an older post. I ordered and received the the rug. Think it will look pretty good. Another question. Did you glue, nail or staple it up? I am thinking screws with some big fat washers or just screws. Function over form, right? Should have at least the first section up this weekend. Thanks again.

phoenixbound wrote:Thanks a bunch. I should have looked closer at the reply.

McDave wrote:Yes, if you click on the link posted there, it will take you right to the Granite colored rug. The Taupe colored one is also on that page, just click on it. In case that link isn't working, here is the info, Model # CN19N32PJ1H1 Internet #202042701

McDave

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Hey phoenixbound,

phoenixbound wrote:Hey McDave,

Reply to an older post. I ordered and received the the rug. Think it will look pretty good. Another question. Did you glue, nail or staple it up? I am thinking screws with some big fat washers or just screws. Function over form, right? Should have at least the first section up this weekend. Thanks again.

Indeed! Form should always follow function. On the other hand, as long as you are putting in the effort you might as well make it look as nice as budget and time constraints will allow. We are looking for function, not Funk-tion. ;)
So there are probably better methods but this is what I came up with. I stapled at the top then bottom, then pulled it taught and stapled at top, pulled taught and stapled at bottom. About every 3-4 inches trying to work out the wrinkles and slack as you go. If you can find a helper, do it. It will go a lot faster. Then I installed trim strips to cover the staples and hold tight at top and bottom screwed to the studs. Finally , I installed the indirect light bar down the middle, screwed to the studs. I'm pretty happy with the results and for the money, it's hard to beat. On the ceiling I used "batten" strips screwed through the carpet to the roof supports, and trim strips down the length on each side. The trim at top of wall and ceiling are what I used to hold the license plates in, so that is what dictated the spacing. My trailer has the rounded corners and that is a tough area to deal with. I ran all the wiring to the rear inside that cavity so it is easily accessed.
Here are a couple shots of the ceiling and floor with a rug that I put in when the bike is out and we are in camp mode.150982
Words of wisdom...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:01 am

You were right, stapling is a good process. Got the first piece up and put the E-Track up with the spare tire holder and spare mounted. I will setting up a shelf above that for the mini-fridge. Ordered two more rugs this morning. Thanks for the tip on the rugs.

e Track1.jpg
e Track1.jpg (144.95 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

McDave wrote:Hey phoenixbound,

phoenixbound wrote:Hey McDave,

Indeed! Form should always follow function. On the other hand, as long as you are putting in the effort you might as well make it look as nice as budget and time constraints will allow. We are looking for function, not Funk-tion. ;)
So there are probably better methods but this is what I came up with. I stapled at the top then bottom, then pulled it taught and stapled at top, pulled taught and stapled at bottom. About every 3-4 inches trying to work out the wrinkles and slack as you go. If you can find a helper, do it. It will go a lot faster. Then I installed trim strips to cover the staples and hold tight at top and bottom screwed to the studs. Finally , I installed the indirect light bar down the middle, screwed to the studs. I'm pretty happy with the results and for the money, it's hard to beat. On the ceiling I used "batten" strips screwed through the carpet to the roof supports, and trim strips down the length on each side. The trim at top of wall and ceiling are what I used to hold the license plates in, so that is what dictated the spacing. My trailer has the rounded corners and that is a tough area to deal with. I ran all the wiring to the rear inside that cavity so it is easily accessed.
Here are a couple shots of the ceiling and floor with a rug that I put in when the bike is out and we are in camp mode.150982
Words of wisdom...

McDave

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions