Trailer brand question.???

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Trailer brand question.???

Postby Hit-n-Miss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

Pricing cargo trailer to make camper from. Gonna do a 7x12/14 7 high. Any brands people love any that you hate?? In other words ones you recommend or ones to stay away from. Also pricing an all aluminum one. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer brand question.???

Postby Newt182 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am

Are you looking to drive one off of a dealers lot or are you planning to go pick it up from the factory? Most manufacturers are in Georgia or Indiana so if you are within driving distance you can save a lot of money by picking it up yourself. I've bought two trailers from Indiana manufacturers. My first trailer was made by RC Trailers in Middlebury IN. This year I sold that trailer and bought a 7x16 from Bravo Trailers in Bristol IN. The Bravo trailer seems to be put together better than my previous trailer and if you talk to a dealer they will tell you they market their approach to quality by paying their employees by the hour and not by the piece as many other manufacturers do focusing on quality and not quantity. That said, i'm pretty happy with my new trailer and although the RC Trailer got the job done, the Bravo was a much better foundation for a conversion. Check my build thread for some pics.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Newt182 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 am

Also, if you are considering 7x12 vs 7x14 get the 14' long, those 2 extra feet make a big difference and will probably only cost you another $200 or so.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:44 pm

The NEO's look to be really well built, also Featherlite. I started with a Pace journey that I had used as a work trailer but the quality is not great. I basically stripped it out and started over.

http://neotrailers.com/

http://www.fthr.com/products/commercial ... go-utility

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hit-n-Miss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Newt182 wrote:Are you looking to drive one off of a dealers lot or are you planning to go pick it up from the factory? Most manufacturers are in Georgia or Indiana so if you are within driving distance you can save a lot of money by picking it up yourself. I've bought two trailers from Indiana manufacturers. My first trailer was made by RC Trailers in Middlebury IN. This year I sold that trailer and bought a 7x16 from Bravo Trailers in Bristol IN. The Bravo trailer seems to be put together better than my previous trailer and if you talk to a dealer they will tell you they market their approach to quality by paying their employees by the hour and not by the piece as many other manufacturers do focusing on quality and not quantity. That said, i'm pretty happy with my new trailer and although the RC Trailer got the job done, the Bravo was a much better foundation for a conversion. Check my build thread for some pics.
Thanks. I'll check out your build too. I need ideas.

Hit-n-Miss
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hit-n-Miss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Newt182 wrote:Also, if you are considering 7x12 vs 7x14 get the 14' long, those 2 extra feet make a big difference and will probably only cost you another $200 or so.
. I had thought that but don't you have to go tandem on the 14'. Wanted to go with single axel. For what ever reason all the specs on trailers I've seen the tandem of the same size has way more tongue weight than the single.

Hit-n-Miss
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hit-n-Miss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:37 pm

McDave wrote:The NEO's look to be really well built, also Featherlite. I started with a Pace journey that I had used as a work trailer but the quality is not great. I basically stripped it out and started over.

http://neotrailers.com/

http://www.fthr.com/products/commercial ... go-utility

McDave
. Thanks I'll check em out.

Hit-n-Miss
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

I agree for sure about finding the quality you want before deciding on a trailer on price alone.

I have a Georgia crap built trailer that is the first one I converted and I love it now but I then got a used Featherlite which I am just sitting on for now and it is so much better in every way it is almost unbelievable really!

The first is adequate for sure and I worked around a lot of the compromises inherent in the cheaper rig but it can never be as nice as a nicer quality build from the start and Aluminum to boot!

Another all aluminum rig I really like is the ProLine from N.H. not the other Pro Line.
The trailers look amazing ad in the same league maybe as Featherlite.

Also Neo and ATC seem to make a better than average trailer and look at the WeeRoll too,strange name and mostly smallish trailers but also pretty high obvious quality.

Of course be prepared to pay more up front for the better rigs.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 pm

I have and like my American Hauler all aluminum. I looked at RnR and ATC and Neo. I got the American Hauler without seeing it before purchasing. Those 4 were the better quality. I also had looked at a "super dealer" and found none that I'd purchase. I didn't like the welds, nor the way they claimed sizing.
I did some work on a Neo, and disliked a couple of items. But those may have been owner options, or owner not aware of up grade.
So I suggest find some to look at. If ordering make sure your aware of all standard and upgrade options.
I found in my state that 14' singles aren't around. I see a lot of minuses a 14 single. And only one positive. 2 tires cheaper to replace than 4.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MikeL » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Thinks for the info. I just checked out Neo's website and I'm liking what I see. And they offer a round top one piece roof with a V-Front slant nose that I was looking for. And less than a 3 hr drive to pick up at the factory. Hmmmmm.
MikeL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Mikel, Howdy;

I chose an Interstate Pro in 6'X14'X6.5'. They come with the torsion axles but I had them upgrade to the 5200#
straight single axle with brakes, 2ed roof vent, told them to keep the d-plate skirting trim, spare tire, Barn doors.
It's a good solid piece of work. Plus they are all over the place.
https://www.trailersplus.com/Interstate-cargo-trailer/

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 am

Sure like my NEO !
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby MikeL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Nice build CK. I like the floor plan and how you were able to create something that fits your needs.

That is the same size and configuration I am considering.
MikeL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dano-Mich » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 am

Have you looked at Legend? I'm considering a Legend for myself but also stopping by R&R next week to check them out.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 am

Few years ago I looked at Legends. Quality seemed to be less than the ATC and RNR I looked at. And less than my American Hauler as it is very well built. I would have gotten the ATC but dealer wasn't dealing. It was an older model and they weren't willing to reduce price. The RNR was new used. The owner told me it had the added 6" roof. As his 5"11 head hit it. At the time I thought it too big,14+v for my TV, so I passed on buying it. The 2 things, I was looking at all aluminum, and bare interior's. I wanted to see how they were constructed and welds. But my American Hauler was bought over the phone and had a finished interior. So much for my checking welds, which are perfect!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions