Rubber Flooring

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rubber Flooring

Postby phoenixbound » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:32 pm

I have seen a few builds with black rubber flooring. I like this idea, but after looking around I have only found flooring in 4' widths. My trailer is a 6' x 12' and I would much rather have a one piece setup. Where can I find the flooring in 6' widths? Thanks
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Rubber Flooring

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:49 pm

phoenixbound wrote:I have seen a few builds with black rubber flooring. I like this idea, but after looking around I have only found flooring in 4' widths. My trailer is a 6' x 12' and I would much rather have a one piece setup. Where can I find the flooring in 6' widths? Thanks
  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "rubber" flooring = 1) industrial mats for standing at a workbench, 2) stall mats for horses, or 3) commercial-type rubber/carpet combo entrance mats?
  • common rubber mats.jpg
    common rubber mats.jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
    types of rubber matting I considered for use in my TTT
  • 1) industrial mats are very comfortable to stand on, but usually have sloping edges, so many put together for a "seamless" surface will have valleys between them, and are expensive
  • 2) stall mats are very heavy, but washable, plus they usually have a persistent rubber smell for a long time
  • 3) entrance mats are light, don't smell, and are easily removable for cleaning, plus some have a top carpet-like surface
  • I chose a charcoal-colored mat from Home Depot to use as my floor covering in my 4'x 8' TTT. I wanted the uninsulated 3/4" thick plywood to be covered, though fully waterproofed with polyurethane, to deter wear, to give some insulation, to be removable/cleanable, and to simulate normal carpetings' "feel". Plus, it was made for indoors more so than the other two mat types I looked at. The one I bought was 3'x 5', so I pieced two together, to fully cover my 46.5"x 75.25" cabin interior floor, with the piece between the doors secured by aluminum thresholds under the doors.
  • 105587 easy to load cargo on carpet/rubber mat;E-track & tie-downs secure loads
  • I've removed them for cleaning (and once to dry out, after a door was left cracked open during a monsoon), and they fit back in , nicely. Since my mattresses (2) cover most (75"x 39") of the floor, only a little of the mats show when in camp, but I fold back the mattresses to create a cargo bay between the doors to transport extra gear to camp, so the durable carpet top on the mat makes sliding-in the heavy gear much easier. Home Depot now offers mats in 4'x 8' size, though I haven't seen them, but that would've fit my trailer better, without mods.
  • my mat.PNG
    my mat.PNG (148.44 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
    I like this very durable mat (I use others in/around my house, also)
  • recycled 4x8 rubber mat.PNG
    recycled 4x8 rubber mat.PNG (166.67 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
    a new mat offering; might be perfect for a 4x8 trailer?
Last edited by working on it on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 pm

There are many types of mats used for gyms, martial arts, kids play areas that jigsaw into each other for any size room.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby m.colley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Alot are also using a vinyl treadplate looking material like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft-x ... /205442047.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:05 am

m.colley wrote:Alot are also using a vinyl treadplate looking material like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft-x ... /205442047.

Martin

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Should work perfect.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 am

phoenixbound wrote:
m.colley wrote:Alot are also using a vinyl treadplate looking material like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft-x ... /205442047.

Martin

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Should work perfect.

Your welcome. I save alot of links in my book marks for items that I come across that I might want to use at a later date.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:43 am

I used the diamond plate flooring from Home Depot as well. http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft-x ... /205442047 It works great and you cant beat the price. 2 yrs and it still looks great. Thumbs up. Just remember that defects in the plywood will transmit to the flooring, so fix those with bondo etc., or you will see them.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am

...but you said "rubber flooring"...vinyl is a whole 'nother animal...concerning which, I only have experience with stick-on squares (which is why I switched over to the rubber-backed matting, and re-poly'd the cabin floor where I peeled them up (another test marked "fail"). These look more durable, though, and definitely more expensive (why I didn't consider them during my initial, low $$ build phase). But, the diamond tread would've added an "industrial" look, which I like. A good choice!
diamond tread vinyl flooring.PNG
diamond tread vinyl flooring.PNG (123.93 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
industrial look, black, washable, durable...sounds good to go
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby RixPlace1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Hot diggidy dawg....I went looking today for a durable floor covering for my ramp fold down
Didn't see anything I liked till I got to the garden dept. and 5X8 indoor/outdoor patterned to look
like a carpet,weather proof then I signed on here and the rubber mat idea looks like it would work better.
Hose it down and it would dry swiftly.
I was also looking for a garden umbrella to use on the ramp, during idle interludes,HD only has 9' way 2 big
same with Orchard Hdwr. So stroke of genius struck.....I headed to my fav thrift store, asked bout brolleys
was told nope none here.So I wandered a bit and found a perfect very colorful one which needs only the rod reworked a bit
So my morning coffee on my back deck is to be cristened tomorrow AM.

I'm going for broke and get the trailer licensed next week, so I can take it on some short trips around here and see how it is going to handle.
I need to do some scholularly researche and find how to upload.download pic on here
100 miles up I95 and return should tell me fuel usage
RixPlace1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm

RixPlace1 wrote:Hot diggidy dawg....I went looking today for a durable floor covering for my ramp fold down
Didn't see anything I liked till I got to the garden dept. and 5X8 indoor/outdoor patterned to look
like a carpet,weather proof then I signed on here and the rubber mat idea looks like it would work better.
Hose it down and it would dry swiftly.
I was also looking for a garden umbrella to use on the ramp, during idle interludes,HD only has 9' way 2 big
same with Orchard Hdwr. So stroke of genius struck.....I headed to my fav thrift store, asked bout brolleys
was told nope none here.So I wandered a bit and found a perfect very colorful one which needs only the rod reworked a bit
So my morning coffee on my back deck is to be cristened tomorrow AM.

I'm going for broke and get the trailer licensed next week, so I can take it on some short trips around here and see how it is going to handle.
I need to do some scholularly researche and find how to upload.download pic on here
100 miles up I95 and return should tell me fuel usage

See, this just how it always starts. You think "Maybe a rug, or some lights and an umbrella...", the next thing you know you're installing air conditioners and solar panels. Using terms like BTUs and Giggawatts, etc.. Won't be long till your friends at the Donut Shoppe don't even recognize you.
Oh well, there's worse things, I guess.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby AZKayaker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 am

I used 5/8" thick interlocking foam tiles. Looks great and easy clean-up.

See my 5x9 SquareDrop CT conversion build, trip pics and more
gallery/album.php?album_id=3552
AZKayaker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am

That does look great.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions