Water heater: electric tankless size

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Water heater: electric tankless size

Postby gbowman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Looking at a Rheem 1gpm flow rate electric. 120watts 30amp.
Do you think this will be enough for the mid south all yr around?
I'm just to concerned about the gas tankless. Don't want it to be outside for looks and theft prevention.
A little to concerned about inside and venting it. I can't really wait any longer. And no one has the good indoor vented ones in stock.
Thank for any educated advise!
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Re: Water heater: electric tankless size

Postby dancam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

gbowman wrote:Looking at a Rheem 1gpm flow rate electric. 120watts 30amp.
Do you think this will be enough for the mid south all yr around?
I'm just to concerned about the gas tankless. Don't want it to be outside for looks and theft prevention.
A little to concerned about inside and venting it. I can't really wait any longer. And no one has the good indoor vented ones in stock.
Thank for any educated advise!

For 120 watts to equal 30 amps thats only 4 volts.
1gpm is a bit slow, unless it has a well designed shower head. Mine is 1.3gpm and feels pretty poor. Goes through water fast though :/

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I am having a great experiance with this one so far. Only used it a few times but I am highly impressed. Here is my first post about the water heater on my build page (bottom of page 9), the thing I don't mention is if you want to run it on 12 volts, a small inverter is needed. I used a 150w fanless and it seemed to work fine:

" the thing I am the most excited about is my water heater! This thing is amazing! After poking around in the manual I realized you can set the water temp where ever you want it. A quick google search revealed that 105 deg is the average temp most people use. So I only ran the hot line to the mixer and set the temp and presto, perfect temperature shower every morning. I can't give a review about the dependability of this thing yet but as for the functionality I am blown away. Thoroughly satisfied! I used my 33 gal fresh water tank for showering only. The tank was not completely topped off and I took 3 relatively quick showers and I could have easily got one more and probably 2 more if the tank was topped off. The thing I am excited about, is if i'm on shore water I can shower as long as I want.
https://www.aquahstore.com/catalog/prod ... kopkc68mf6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUAH-PLUS-DIRE ... SwcLxYG4-g
I think I got it for $350 delivered. I would offer less if I were to do it again."
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:56 pm

If you want nice American-standard high-pressure hot showers, you need to be hooked up to an outside water service.

Only big rig mobile homes can carry tanks that big.

If you're boondocking and getting by with just a few gallons a day per person like most of us here, then a low flow rate is more appropriate.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 pm

John61CT wrote:If you want nice American-standard high-pressure hot showers, you need to be hooked up to an outside water service.

Only big rig mobile homes can carry tanks that big.

If you're boondocking and getting by with just a few gallons a day per person like most of us here, then a low flow rate is more appropriate.

Yes, but a showerhead with a few jets spraying water with some pressure can get you clean with less water than a showerhead that basically drips a large volume of water.
The issue with mine is that it came with a showerhead that lets too much water through at once, so it builds no pressure. Less is more when done right :) when done wrong its just less, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 pm

http://www.hotter-elc.com/water-heater/jet/ this is the brand I have I don't see the exact one but made by the same company, I bought 2 off of ebay they had a European plug that I cut off and replaced with a standard plug it works great and will produce really hot water, the slower the water goes through the heater the hotter it gets so it uses very little water which is good I only have a 16 gallon tank.
it is 110 but draws a lot of power in use so I have to cut off everything including the AC for a shower but that's camping,.6442566557
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 pm

There are propane tankless units, only electric is needed for the 12V water pump.

Some are designed specifically for boondocking.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 am

Electricity is not an efficient way of making heat. To match the BTUs of propane or Nat. gas it takes many Kwatts. If you are storing hot water, no problem. But to have on demand? Mega watts or really low flow or both. So, you're probably gonna have to make friends with propane. If you locate the H20 heater outside, no venting. Inside venting is required.
I have the 100.00 on demand propane heater in my bathroom and it is awesome! It has a trigger on the shower wand so you don't waste water. It uses 2 D cell batteries for the ignitor. I vent it out the vent fan. it is about 4inches away from the vent and the fan draws the exhaust right out with the steam. The exhaust is warm, not hot. The heat goes into the water. When the wand is on and water flows, the ignitor and gas come on, when the flow stops the gas and ignitor shut off. I use about 2-3 gal per shower, but it is so nice to have.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:28 am

I'm with Dave on this one. The company I work for is a Rheem Tankless WH distributor and I looked at buying one because I could get employee pricing. I chose to buy a propane one, the EcoTemp L5. The electric ones draw way to much power for the amount of water flow you get in return. If I'm not mistaken on Rheem' smallest electric tankless you get a 48 degree temp rise @ .5 gpm while pulling 29 amps. Thats a trickle of water while barely bringing your water up over 100 degrees.

I chose to make a quick mount for my propane heater on the exterior of my CTC using unistrut channel. It takes all of 3 minutes to mount and connect everything. I've seen a few installs using the same water heater that made a "box" to mount it in with a door so its locked away.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 am

We use the Triton 5L propane tankless, have for years and absolutely love it. You can even run it from a 1lb tank, with an adapter. The 1lb system will give you a solid 18 minutes of continuous running at top temp. 20 lb will run forever. 8 seconds from cold to warm. Saves water and propane. Can be mounted inside, if you provide PROPER ventilation and exhaust. Cost is about $120

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby gbowman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 pm

I have looked intently at this for a few months now. I have gone back and forth. I have to stay at RV parks (because of job) and I already pay for electric there. So was really hoping to safe money by going electric. So thanks for your reply's. It has helped me make my decision.
Propane it is.
Now to decide between the smaller 5L or something bigger. I have looked at the Trito, Ecco, and Rheem. But after the post about the Aquah Plus. I really like this one. For me the safe of this is of concern. Right now I don't have any vents in the trailer. The one that was there now has my AC in it.
Being able to take a long hot shower after working 12hr+ days is something I'm willing to pay extra for. LOL!!!

I could go with the smaller 5L and add a nice vent with a fan.
Or go with the larger unit at has as vent.
What I also like about the Aquah is the ability to drain the water when not is use in the cold months. Seen several comments about them breaking when water freezes in them.
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I can tell you from personal experience the Ecco L5 gives me plenty of hot water and if your hooked up to city water you'll have it made. I run mine off a 20# propane bottle. It uses 2D size batteries for ignition and you have hot water within a few seconds. I've used it boon-docking during last hunting season and I've used it several times at state parks. Its some of the best money I spent on the trailer.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:43 pm

m.colley wrote:If I'm not mistaken on Rheem' smallest electric tankless you get a 48 degree temp rise @ .5 gpm while pulling 29 amps. Thats a trickle of water while barely bringing your water up over 100 degrees.
Are those shore power amps or 12V DC amps?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 pm

gbowman wrote:I have looked intently at this for a few months now. I have gone back and forth. I have to stay at RV parks (because of job)
Being able to take a long hot shower after working 12hr+ days is something I'm willing to pay extra for.
What employerhas staff staying in a trailer park without at least providing showers?

A very profitable one I bet
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:01 am

The Triton 5L(5 litre/min) also has the drain/vacuum breaker. Its a little brass knurled thumbscrew located at the bottom where the hoses and batteries are. I drain it every time I use it. It lets air in so you can drain the wand and hose as well. Then if you turn off the wand water wont flow back into the heater until you turn the wand on and let the air out. In the winter I put RV antifreeze through all the plumbing and then drain the heater and water lines. You could also use air to blow out the water.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions