Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Postby Dano-Mich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm

billbob412 and CoventryKid - what size is the tongue on your NEO? They told me it was 2x4. That just seems to be on the small side for using a WD hitch. One Trailers uses 2x5 and I believe R&R is at least that big.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Dano-Mich:

My NEO tongue is 2x4 on 7'x16' trailer:

I've never had problems using WD hitch. We've driven over 35,000 miles in 3 years towing our CT all over Canada and USA.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby billbob412 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:10 am

My 7x12 is2x4 my 81/2 x18 is3x5 I can't think of any reason to use a weight dist hitch on ether one .My TV is a 1500 silverado w tow package its rated to tow 7000 lbs The car trailer with car in it is about 5300lbs . I have towed many miles with 7000 lbs of car and trailer with load dist hitch and to me they are a huge pain to deal with!
billbob412
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dano-Mich » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 am

billbob412 wrote:My 7x12 is2x4 my 81/2 x18 is3x5 I can't think of any reason to use a weight dist hitch on ether one .My TV is a 1500 silverado w tow package its rated to tow 7000 lbs The car trailer with car in it is about 5300lbs . I have towed many miles with 7000 lbs of car and trailer with load dist hitch and to me they are a huge pain to deal with!

Thanks for the info! As far as needing a WD hitch, there are many good posts out there on the benefits of using them. One of our primary destinations is Wyoming and having the sway control (along with WD) is really important for us. We use them with any of the tandem axle trailers we tow to level the load and keep our front wheels on the ground. True, we're probably not loaded perfectly. We hunt and outfit ourselves so we bring a lot of gear including quads, tents, etc. WD hitches really aren't all that hard to use and don't really see a downside to using them.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 am

I tow a 14' Neo NAMR, twin axle with a 2017 Pathfinder, made sure my hitch is at the correct height (19") and alway keep the weight over and in front of the axles. Out of horrible mileage when towing, I have experienced little to no sway at all.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Dano-Mich wrote: We do not recommend weight distribution hitches for any of our trailers. It is however, an A frame, so you have plenty of aftermarket options.

I would interpret as "we do not make brand/product recommendations for WDHs.

But you can do what you like, just without modifying our product if you want a valid warranty.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Even with a WD hitch, you cannot exceed the hitch capacity of a vehicle or the hitch assembly.
If your front end is that light, you have issues.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Even though a weight distribution system won't increase the amount of weight a tow vehicle can haul above maximum capacity, it does improve handling by distributing some of the weight off the tongue and onto the other axles. It does make for a much better tow and you can get closer to max capacity if needed. It makes a big difference when you are towing a trailer near capacity. My trailer is in no way too heavy or tongue heavy for my truck, but when fully loaded and with anti-sway bars installed also, the pull handling is night and day different. That's been my experience anytime I have used a WDH. It is just another tool to help unless you can always guarantee that delicate balance of hitch weight and etc. is always struck perfectly before you hit the road. That balance changes when water is on board, the bikes are on board, holding tanks need emptying, or etc.

Agreed it is not needed strictly going by the books in a perfect world, but better handling in windy conditions and not having to drive white knuckled every time a truck goes by or approaches from behind at highway speeds, it is money well spent. Sway is reduced dramatically. Just having the anti-sway bar enabling connections make the WDH worth the money even if the load is perfectly balanced IMHO.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jjvw » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:01 am

We have an 7x16x6.5 RNR Force. We are happy with it, though I wish I spent the money for the Platinum's arched roof. They moved the wheels back so we can load our trike behind a queen size bed. It still is a little tail heavy but the Andersen Hitch does a good job leveling and stopping sway. We changed out the "china bomb" ST tires for LT tires which raised it 1 inch. They put 2 baggage doors in the vee for our solar batteries and tools. We got a $100 credit for no interior walls. Instead we used FRP on top of 2 layers of insulation. We had them add a step and a screen door. Windows were $40 ea at Bontrager's surplus in white pigeon, mi
This is our 3rd CT build. It was so nice not having to deal with corrosion. The RnR has the best quality and were easy to work with. You will be very happy with them.
jjvw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:07 am

So a lot has happened in the last year, thought I'd give an update. I picked up a used 7x12VDC and put a small build thread on here about that. Used it in Wyoming in Dec for hunting and then again this July for camping (with 4 of us). It met our basic needs as we don't hang out in the trailer while camping.

Also, my dad purchased a new R&R 7x12 VDC Platinum this Spring and posted his build - RevDano. I was able to help with that a little and he was also with us in Wyoming camping this July.

So now my buddy and I are going in together on an R&R 7x18 VDC Platinum. I was impressed enough with their factory options, including insulation, that we are having them do a bunch of stuff for us. We should get it the first week of October if all goes well, just in time for hunting season. So far, here is our list for factory options:
-RV side door with window and screen
-22x30 windows (2)
-Fantastic van (rear)
-AC (front)
-welded step
-rear stabilizer jacks
-salem vents (will be hauling motorcycles and quads, but can close off when not needed)
-10 degree down Dexter torsion axles (gives us about 3" more clearance than stock)
-extended tongue
-upper cabinet in V-nose

I'm also going to have them run some wiring and stub it out for us - both 12V and 110. We'll just have them leave the wire loose in the front overhead cabinet. We'll put in the boxes, wire it into a Progressive Dynamics power center, and install the 30amp inlet and wiring. Since the Platinum version has nice white walls and aluminum cove, it just makes sense to have them do the insulation and wiring instead of trying to take that all down and do it ourselves. Their cost for insulation is barely more than what I would have to pay for the materials.

The plan will be to keep it totally open and modular, down to the cabinets, beds, etc. We'll put in l-track or e-track for the cycles, fold down beds mid-ship, queen bed/bunk in the rear, etc. Will make a kitchen cabinet on wheels that can be rolled out when not needed or secured when in use. Still need to figure out how big of a propane tank we can get underneath, but it will only be used for heating and outdoor cooking. No water tanks, just portable tanks for water and a portable toilet. Where we camp they either have showers, or we're in a place where we don't need showers!

Will post a new thread when we take delivery and show some before and after pics. My R&R 7x12 VDC will then go up for sale.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 am

Dano-Mich, Howdy;

Good to hear from ya again. Your new project sounds like a good one,
looking forward to seeing it and what ya do with it to finish it out.
OH yea, some camping pix would be nice also...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 am

Ha, none of the pics of camping are on my phone. I'll have to grab some from my wife. Here's one of my rig with my dad's behind it. We took up some space with the four bikes mounted up front.

Had some truck issues on the first day so ended up renting a F250 for the first half of the trip and then picked up my Expedition on the way back for the second half of the trip. Ended up being two blown fuses caused the 2000 Expedition to go into "safety mode" and not drive. So if anyone else needs to rent a truck to tow a trailer, about the only place we could find was Enterprise Truck Rental which is separate from Enterprise.

We are about 3 weeks away from getting our new 7x18 R&R trailer. Many items stacking up in my barn to finish the build out. We will also be using this trailer as a mobile warehouse for bringing product and equipment to consumer/trade shows. Just one more reason why keeping our layout completely modular and removable is going to work for us. Might even get the trailer wrapped! We used my trailer and another 7x12 last weekend for our first show - Outdoor Weekend - in Imlay City, MI.

Anyone have good ideas on a removable shelving/racking system?
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions