Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Postby Dano-Mich » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm currently looking at an R&R VDC Platinum 7x7x16 + 3' v-nose or a Legend Deluxe 7x7x19 (includes v-nose). Working directly with R&R has some benefits and it seems just about every single option is cheaper. It gets spendy real quick, but I'm trying to have the factory do the important stuff including windows, RV screen door with window (moved back), roof vents, etc. My primary use is to set it up as a toy hauler / camper for hunting trips out West. Will need to haul two ATVs so need 14'+ of cargo room. Will also be using it as a family camping rig and will haul bikes & kayaks during the summer.

I'll have them mount the interior using as few screws as possible so I can take down and fully insulate the walls and ceiling. I'll do all the interior AC/DC wiring and lighting and will build some cabinets up front. No interior bathroom - just porta-potty and exterior shower hookup. Might have a water heater and furnace or at least plumbing to run portable heater. I will have a propane fridge, kitchen sink, and fresh water tank. The sink will just drain to the exterior with hose hookup for tote.

I have a couple things I'm struggling with:
    -With a v-nose, there's no room for propane tanks. I would like to have the equivalent of two 30# tanks. I've briefly considered an undermount ASME propane tank and would love feedback on that option.
    -With all the weight up front (cabinets, fresh water, batteries, propane?, etc., I'm going to be tongue heavy, especially on summer trips without the ATVs. Not sure how to get around this.
    -With ATVs loaded and all our hunting gear, I'll be pulling a little bit of weight. Used to running a weight distribution / anti-sway hitch setup, but I won't be able to do that with an aluminum v-nose (Waiting on callbacks from both R&R and Legend regarding this.)
    -Should I consider having the factory add a 2-3" lift? We do go down some two-tracks out West and up in northern Michigan.

Let me know your thoughts and can't wait to start my own build thread. My one buddy has a factory finished 7x7x20 flat front trailer, so I'll be stealing some ideas from his. Unfortunately, his trailer is 5000# empty and will become a bear to tow in WY with an F-150. This is why I'm looking at an all aluminum trailer. I'm in Michigan so R&R and Legend are both local to me. This site has a wealth of information and I know my future trailer doesn't quite fit the "Tiny" aspect.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Postby m.colley » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Not sure about all your concerns but there alot of VNose CTC's with propane tanks on the tongue. There also the possibility of have the tongue extended like I did on my VNose ( not aluminum).

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I'd go with RnR over the Legend. I wasn't impressed with Legends quality.
For the weight distribution hitch I was told no to it. I thought if I needed to maybe a steel plate. Just add a u shaped plate for each side.
If your doing a rear ramp it gets steep with an axle flip which is about 3-4. An axle flip doesn't change the axle height.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

My company has a fleet of cargo trailers and we have found that only 16 inch tires will perform to our standards in terms of longevity. So, I bought a double axle Featherlite trailer, 7.5 x 16 V nose, with 4,800 lb. axles. Two additional benefits from this larger axle were large 12 inch brakes (very important to me) and the fact the trailer sets higher off the ground with 3 more inches of clearance.

Featherlite also custom placed the axle where I wanted it for weight distribution.

My trailer weighs 2,300 lb. empty.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks for the feedback so far.
-Yes an extended tongue is an option, just don't want any clearance issues and I still have the issue of tongue weight with that option.
-These come with Dexter torsion axles so an axle flip isn't an option but a lift is. Just curious if I should even consider it, probably doesn't add too much to the price. And just looking for 2-3".
-I'll check to see about larger tires.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Dano-Mich wrote:I have a couple things I'm struggling with:
    -With a v-nose, there's no room for propane tanks. I would like to have the equivalent of two 30# tanks. I've briefly considered an undermount ASME propane tank and would love feedback on that option.
    -With all the weight up front (cabinets, fresh water, batteries, propane?, etc., I'm going to be tongue heavy, especially on summer trips without the ATVs. Not sure how to get around this.
    -With ATVs loaded and all our hunting gear, I'll be pulling a little bit of weight. Used to running a weight distribution / anti-sway hitch setup, but I won't be able to do that with an aluminum v-nose (Waiting on callbacks from both R&R and Legend regarding this.)
    -Should I consider having the factory add a 2-3" lift? We do go down some two-tracks out West and up in northern Michigan.

When planning for a build like yours, multi use toy hauler/ camper possibly utility trailer, I would consider my heaviest loaded scenario as top priority, and try to keep the heaviest part(s) of that load balance neutral over the axles. In this case that would be the 2 ATVs. From there you can try to distribute the remaining fixed loads fore and aft to maintain that balance. When you are down to the last 500lbs or so of fixed load, check the tongue weight and distribute weight accordingly. This way, even if you remove the heavy load that was balanced over the axles, the fixed loads should remain pretty close to balanced. I use my fresh tank mounted behind the axle as ballast, so you can add or remove weight to adjust tongue weight by adding or draining water. Water is heavy at 8+ lbs/gal. When you are ready to leave the pavement, fill the water tank at your fuel stop.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Yes, torsion, but you said 2-(3) lift. A flip is (3)-4 and changes the ramp angle so (3) may a may not cause issues with what you load. 16" tires give you 1/2 of lift, & weigh more.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Padilen wrote:Yes, torsion, but you said 2-(3) lift. A flip is (3)-4 and changes the ramp angle so (3) may a may not cause issues with what you load. 16" tires give you 1/2 of lift, & weigh more.

My 4800 lb axles (vs 3500 stock) with 16 inch wheels (vs 15 stock) raised my trailer 3 inches to accommodate sufficient fender clearances
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 pm

I went with a 45Deg down turn torsion axle. The extra clearance is wonderful. It rides nice too!!

The experts advice.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-117706.html

My little rig!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Dano-Mich » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for all the responses so far and for links to other builds - some nice builds out there!

Any further comments on the horizontal ASME propane tanks - anyone install one? This would move some weight back over the axles (under the frame) and still leave the cargo area open. Looks like I need to try and put the fresh water tank underneath as well to keep some weight off the tongue.

Also looking for feedback on weight distribution options on a v-nose aluminum trailer.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Have you checked with RnR on the hitch? If I remember correctly the 14' ( maybe 16) I looked at had just a straight tongue.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Re your comments:

I put two ATV 5-gal gas cans on the front of my NEO, so there should be room for propane tanks. Of course mine is a NEO trailer with about a 2' V-nose.

I run with a weight distribution hitch on my trailer. Only thing I had to do was find shorter Grade 8 bolts to secure the hangars.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Dano-Mich » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Padilen wrote:Have you checked with RnR on the hitch? If I remember correctly the 14' ( maybe 16) I looked at had just a straight tongue.

My salesman at R&R was off this week so expect to talk to him again next week. They have just a straight tongue and not much room at all, not even for a battery. I can get an extended tongue (6") or they do have a Heavy Duty A-Frame as an upgrade option. I'm hoping to get pictures or diagrams of that so I can figure out more. Talked to the Legend dealer Tuesday and he wasn't sure - was going to check and get back with me :( (unfortunately, this Legend dealer hasn't returned phone calls very well at all).
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dano-Mich » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:29 am

CoventryKid wrote:Re your comments:

I put two ATV 5-gal gas cans on the front of my NEO, so there should be room for propane tanks. Of course mine is a NEO trailer with about a 2' V-nose.

I run with a weight distribution hitch on my trailer. Only thing I had to do was find shorter Grade 8 bolts to secure the hangars.

Hope this helps.

For reference, here's a pic of the tongue on a 7x16 v-nose from R&R. The v-nose is 3'. I'll come back and post a pic of their heavy duty a-frame if I can get that from them.

Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 am

Yes that's what I remember, on the "new" used.
They most sell enough of these to know if sway is an issue and how to deal with it. I have no idea about those other propane tanks.

Padilen
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions