refigerators and generators and hurricanes

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

refigerators and generators and hurricanes

Postby jwhite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Although I don't think Irma is coming my way directly I may get some winds that could cause a power outage, I have a new generator and 30 gallons of gas just incase.
I don't see the point in running the generator 24 hours a day but I am wondering if I just want to keep the refrigerator running and my computer online what would be a good ratio 4-6 hours on and off?
Common since would be to only open the frige once or twice if possible a day.
just wonder if any full timers have any input ?
btw I saw a lot of rv's campers motorhomes on the road today heading north.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: refigerators and generators and hurricanes

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I have been a victim of electrical outages many times in the past, some from hurricanes.

What I did was to run the generator for perhaps 2, maybe 3 hours to keep the refrigerators and freezers cold. I had power cords running to them from the generator. Mine was a 10,000 kw unit, so I had plenty of power. Even in the middle of the night, I would get up and run them per a schedule I established.

I keep from opening them unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes I would run the extension cords to my PC setup so I could get on the internet. I had no idea the outage would last.
It all worked well for me and I guess we were lucky it was only a day or two where we were without power.

Way up here in SW VA, we can still get strong winds and flooding from hurricanes (we are in a mountainous area) so we must be prepared. I have over 35 gallons of gas in containers and we will have two vehicles full to siphon off if needed.

I really feel for the folks in Florida who will have it much worse than I am sure we will. I cannot image their anxiety right now. The same for all the others in the states and coast lines north of there.

And then, I cannot forget Camille in 1969. It hit Biloxi with devastating force. My brother was in it while stationed with the Air Force. And then after being hundreds of miles from him, I too was in it. This was because I lived in Central VA then and Camille, after leaving the Gulf Coast, came north and dumped somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 inches of rain in about 2 hours right in my backyard. Just a wall of water and in the middle of the night. We had no warning back then. Localities around me were devastated with over 130 folks killed or missing (More than in Biloxi I believe). So I have learned to fear and respect hurricanes that head inland. I take precautions.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm in Southern California, hurricane force winds are rare, but we still have other issues. I've got a 1kw gen that can power the house fridge for about 6 hours on a gallon of fuel. It's super quiet, so it can run through the night. I've got a 4 kw I star during the evening for lights, tv etc. it burns about 1/2 gallon per hour. I only have 10 gallons, but I can drain the take from one of the cars and get another 10 or more if needed. After that I have a problem. I haven't had a real power outage ( over an hour or two) since 2010 so it hasn't been an issue. Before my wife thought keeping around the generator was dumb. ...not anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm in Southern California, hurricane force winds are rare, but we still have other issues. I've got a 1kw gen that can power the house fridge for about 6 hours on a gallon of fuel. It's super quiet, so it can run through the night. I've got a 4 kw I star during the evening for lights, tv etc. it burns about 1/2 gallon per hour. I only have 10 gallons, but I can drain the take from one of the cars and get another 10 or more if needed. After that I have a problem. I haven't had a real power outage ( over an hour or two) since 2010 so it hasn't been an issue. Before my wife thought keeping around the generator was dumb. ...not anymore

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:53 am

Howdy All;

The on-off-on routine is ok, When I pull my home (5th wheel), I freeze a 1/2 full (empty),
water bottle laying sideways then stand it upright in the freezer. When I arrive at wherever,
I pop open the freezer door to see what the contents of the bottle are ... upright ice or
just water or any combination of the 2. More ice then water I'm ok. other way 'round not
so good.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 pm

But that requires opening and closing the lids/doors. And yes, that is what I did to check on things. It this were a recurring issue, I would hook up thermometers with leads so as to read the freezer temps w/o having to open the doors. I guess I could see of my grilling thermometers go that low.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am

I will typically turn the fridge on its coldest setting and let the Gen run continuous during the day when we use power anyhow (can shut down periodically if you want and are monitoring fridge temps). Freeze a couple gallons of water in the freezer and move that to the fridge and shut it down at night when going in and out of the fridge and the need for power in general is minimal.

Another thing to see if the freezer has thawed or etc. if you evacuate. Sometimes power goes off , the freezer thaws and then power comes back on while you are evacuated.

Take a small pan. Fill it with water and freeze. Once frozen, place a coin on top. If you come home and the coin is still on top, all is good. If the coin is frozen on the bottom of pan, you then know the freezer thawed out and then came back on. Time to toss that food.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 pm

@ Don,
Excellent tips.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 am

Here is a list of appliances and their power requirements so folks can understand what a generator can handle
https://www.daftlogic.com/information-a ... mption.htm

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:07 am

There are thermometers with remote sensors made to do just this too,most RVers get one after a short time wondering how cold the fridge really is.

Also as for running the computer just run a laptop and power the modem and router from battery thru an inverter and only as needed.
I do this all the time when I have to ad a simple Auto Jump Battery Pack will run my computer and Modem for a week sometimes depending on usage of course.

My power usually only takes 5 minutes to restore once the power company shows up but it also takes them about 10 days to do so! :?

That coin trick on the ice is great too!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby beachguy005 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 am

I was part of the mandatory evacuation from SW Florida and returned home to no power, it's on now. My 5x12 was my escape pod and having my solar panels and Engel fridge worked great. No gas needed to run it when I got to my house. Into the garage at night and outside in the sun during the day.
If you think about it, a couple of solar panels, controller, battery and a 12 volt fridge or freezer and you have an emergency generator that's safe, clean and quiet. The power of a gas generator is great if you're able to stay home through the storm and lose power, but if you're returning after a few days with it off, gas will be expensive and hard to find.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 pm

True.. The self contained CTC is a nice thing to escape and then return in if you decide to evacuate.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions