FlyBye's 7x16 Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: FlyBye's 7x16 Build

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm

flboy wrote:...I do not see the ball's for antisway bar connections. Am I missing that? You can clearly see the ones on the setup I am using...

There aren't any pivot balls for the anti-sway feature on the Fastway e2 system. The WD/AS arms are held in by a pin I think and apparently the friction between the weight distribution arms and the "L-pin" provide the anti-sway. It is both weight distribution and anti-sway built into one unit without having to drill any holes in the trailer frame.

After further research I found out that most of those types of units (like the Fastway e2) are very loud when you turn. The sound of metal rubbing on metal while driving doesn't excite me very much so I kept looking on the web. I did find some Anderson weight distribution and anti-sway hitches that were silent. The all in one units are not cheap, but they do appear to be an easy install with the right tools. I've got to do something pretty quick and right now the Anderson hitches seem to have my interest.
Attachments
Anderson WD and Anti-Sway Hitch.jpg
Anderson WD and Anti-Sway Hitch.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:58 pm

flybye, Howdy;

I used to have a wd/as hitch one of the main brands (Equal-i-zer),Metal bars riding on Large 'L'
brackets, removed the noise by using a drop of liquid soap (Dawn in my case), as a lubricant.
Beauty is, after the first few movements they are naturally quiet and when you rinse the bars
and other attaching parts off with a hose, they are nice and clean not messy like when ya use
a grease or oil.

hank

PS. Standard disclaimer.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Hank,
I've read where any type of lubricant (soap, grease, oil) would reduce some of the anti-sway since the friction is reduced. Have you noticed any noticeable reduction yourself? It looks to be a run-off between either the Anderson or Equalizer. The Equalizer seems to top the list with the traditional WD/AS crowd but the Anderson's newer system also seems to have it's following.

I've been unable to find actual studies of the specific amounts of resistance that either system offers. Hank, have you had any issues or close calls with your set up and would you recommend the Equalizer to others (specifically me!) or wonder if a better option is available? Thanks
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I did find a "solution" to the noise problem I think... it's a "sway bracket jacket"!
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manuals- ... et-jackets
I think I've narrowed down the choices now...
Attachments
Sway Bracket Jacket.jpg
Sway Bracket Jacket.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 am

FlyBye, Howdy;

FlyBye wrote:Hank,
I've read where any type of lubricant (soap, grease, oil) would reduce some of the anti-sway since the friction is reduced. Have you noticed any noticeable reduction yourself? It looks to be a run-off between either the Anderson or Equalizer. The Equalizer seems to top the list with the traditional WD/AS crowd but the Anderson's newer system also seems to have it's following.

I've been unable to find actual studies of the specific amounts of resistance that either system offers. Hank, have you had any issues or close calls with your set up and would you recommend the Equalizer to others (specifically me!) or wonder if a better option is available? Thanks

The only difference that I noticed was the lack of squealing from the "L" brackets. The soap wears off quickly
and so does the rust/grit/dirt that accumulates while the hitch is not in use between trips. Just like the old
Brylcreem ads used to say "A little dab will do ya!"

The Equalizer is the hitch I was pulling my TT with when I had the blow-out on I-75. Trailer stayed right where
it was supposed to while I got over to the shoulder. Behaved like it was in Miss Manners' etiquette class. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

hankaye wrote:...The Equalizer is the hitch I was pulling my TT with when I had the blow-out on I-75. Trailer stayed right where
it was supposed to while I got over to the shoulder. Behaved like it was in Miss Manners' etiquette class.
hank

Very good! I'll try to find me a good price and order one today. Thanks!
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Hank, the Hitch came in today. I'm not sure when I will get an opportunity to install it due to either work/weather, but I will say that this thing is stout. I got the 10,000 lb model and it sure felt like 10K when I tried to pick it up... dude, that sucker is heavy! I did put it together inside the house to make sure I had all the pieces and to make the real install go a little quicker when I get to it. Thanks again for the heads-up on the Equal-i-zer hitch. I think that the 4-point sway control will give me a little more comfort when on the road. Now I've got to get me some (or borrow) some hefty torque wrenches :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 am

FlyByr, Howdy;

When cranking down on the hitch-ball's nut stick the hitch into the receiver
upside down and get a length of pipe or something to extend the length of the
wrench to "cheat" and improve your odds of getting to or near the torque called
for. IIRC, it needs a thin walled socket if you choose to go that route.
Keep a small bottle of liquid dishsoap handy for when you hook-up the trailer and
it only takes a drop or 2 on each 'L' bracket to keep it quiet.

Happy trailering ;)

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Well the trailer is still far from being finished, but it was complete enough for us to take a brief camping excursion...

There were all sorts of unforeseen difficulties we had even before we left the driveway and we were beginning to wonder if we needed to postpone the trip to a later date to get better prepared. But reasoning that there will never be a time when everything goes perfect, we went ahead and left about nine hours later than we expected to. I'll spare the boring, mundane and pathetic details for this post, but I felt like someone might wonder why there were no photos around the camp-fire, inside the trailer or any leisure time. I was at an RV parts store getting a new vent installed for the roof...

Destination: Crater of Diamonds State Park (Murfreesboro, Arkansas)
Both my wife and my mother dug and searched and dug and searched for diamonds recently at the Crater of Diamonds State Park but came up empty handed. The park had been reporting several good and promising reports this months regarding finds, but most were discovered after a decent rain. It was dry when my wife and mother attended.
The camp ground and site(s) were very nice with a pleasant "wall of woods" that separated you from the other campers offering a little privacy. Diamond hunting isn't something I would care to do very often because the quality of diamonds themselves are not very valuable but it makes for a fun trip to do something different, besides my wife and my mother wanted to go... so that is reason enough and they both had fun even without finding the mother-load!

The Equalizer Weight Distribution & Anti-Sway Hitch:
The hitch was money well spent. I couldn't believe how smooth and straight the trailer towed.

Inside the trailer:
The photos below do not reveal it, but the now have curtains. The counter top is attached and the counter itself is attached to the wall. The unstained sides of the cabinets are there because there will be a short wall covering up that section. The cabinets now have the doors installed and look nice even though we need to install the handles. The Fridge has been secured to the floor for traveling. On this trip we used some nice cots with foam cushions. Beds will be installed soon.
Attachments
Weight Distribution & Anti-Sway Hitch.jpg
Weight Distribution & Anti-Sway Hitch.jpg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Countertop.jpg
Countertop.jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm

We didn't even use the stabilizer hitches, nor did we un-hitch the truck from the trailer...
Attachments
COD Campsite 1.jpg
COD Campsite 1.jpg (176.03 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
COD Campsite 2.jpg
COD Campsite 2.jpg (201.51 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm

What happened with your vent? Did it leak in the rain and need to be replaced?

Glad you were able to get it on the road for the maiden voyage. Congratulations!

I can see the WD part of the hitch, but how does the antisway function work? I am use to a different configuration with friction plates.

Btw.. the trailer looks great all hooked up!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby FlyBye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:13 pm

flboy wrote:What happened with your vent? Did it leak in the rain and need to be replaced?...
I can see the WD part of the hitch, but how does the antisway function work? I am use to a different configuration with friction plates...

Vent
When I woke up Tuesday morning I saw a huge hole up in the ceiling (vent). I immediately checked the current weather radar to see when the potential rain should hit and knew I needed to act fast to either get it replaced or duck-tape a part of a tarp up there to get me home. My wife and my mother went on their diamond adventure while I took the trailer to a local shop.
We found out that the vent was destroyed by the Sun's UV Rays. We have only had the trailer one year and everything looked fine when we departed, but I guess the wind from the traveling over there was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Apparently it must have been already a little brittle even though we couldn't tell from the inside. It was ripped to shreds. The owner of the RV shop there in town was a life-saver!

Anti-Sway
Equal-i-zer calls it their 4 Point Sway Control. Four Point Friction Control is what I would call it. Two places on the Hitch itself where the arms attach and the two brackets where the Weight Distribution Arms are attached are the other two Friction points. Here is a video that explains it a little better than I can:
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=aA3_hH60fzE
Attachments
HitchHead.png
HitchHead.png (164.86 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
bracket.png
bracket.png (94.63 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

flybye, Howdy;

Chuckle, the RV dealer in the Equlizer video is the one I used to go to for maint.
on my old tow behind. They're in Spanish Fork, Ut. Not far from the Manufacturer.
The scenery in the video is from the same area. If it just wouldn't dip down into
the -30's and -40's in the Winter I might still live there. :lol: Glad the system
works for ya

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:19 am

hankaye wrote:...Chuckle, the RV dealer in the Equlizer video is the one I used to go to for maint.
on my old tow behind. They're in Spanish Fork, Ut. Not far from the Manufacturer.
The scenery in the video is from the same area. If it just wouldn't dip down into
the -30's and -40's in the Winter I might still live there. :lol: Glad the system
works for ya
hank

That's pretty cool (no pun intended) on seeing your old stomping grounds on the video. It looks like beautiful country, but I can't understand why a little frosty temperature of -30 or -40 would keep ya from enjoying the great outdoors... except maybe frostbite! In all seriousness, I would have to agree with you, that is way too cold for my ongoing preference.
I appreciate you mentioning the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway hitch. As expensive as it was, it was still money well spent in "my humble but most accurate opinion!" I did purchase the "bracket-Jackets" to reduce the nose associated with these types of friction hitches, but I chose not to install it because I wanted to see just how well the system worked without any add-ons. It was diffidently noisy when making slow extreme turns and even got some "looks" from those near by to make sure I wasn't ripping metal of nearby buildings or cars. I can live with the occasional noise as long as the system is performing at peak. So the Bracket-Jackets may just stay in the package for awhile. Thanks again for the hitch recommendation!
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:05 pm

flybye, Howdy;

When I had mine they hadn't come out with the "jackets" so as I'd mentioned when I
first mentioned them, I used to use a drop or 2 of liquid soap to act as a lubricant.
Things always rub better with lube. Added benefit is it doesn't collect road grime as
with the next rain storm it washes off or you can hose it off with a spray setting.
Enjoy.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions