7x16 vs 8.5 x 16

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7x16 vs 8.5 x 16

Postby Crambone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 pm

I am working through the CTC planning stages and I see a lot of 7x14 or 7x16. Is there and advantage to 7' wide vs 8.5' wide? I need room for 2 motorcycles and the wife NEEDS a bathroom with plumbing and was thinking the extra foot could go a long way.
:thinking:

Thanks
Chris
Crambone
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 7x16 vs 8.5 x 16

Postby John61CT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 am

Yes, also for a full length sideways bed plus good insulation.

But 7.5-8' is enough.

And horrible for boondocking off tiny remote roads.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Crambone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 am

My thought is that the track width is the same so either way the wheel spacing is that same, correct?
Thanks
Crambone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 am

On my 7' wide trailer the wheels are only partially inboard but on the 8' units they are completely inside the walls width,at least mostly from what I have seen.
I have no trouble sleeping sideways at all in the 7' rig.

I imagine though that you can find models in each size and configuration and that it just really depends on what you are needing for width in the end?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 am

One reason the 7' are popular is you can see around the trailer when towing. Any larger and you need the extended mirrors. Wind drag is also a consideration. I'm also in the planning stages and was considering 7x16 or possibly 7x18 v-nose.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyBye » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:32 am

Crambone wrote:I am working through the CTC planning stages and I see a lot of 7x14 or 7x16. Is there and advantage to 7' wide vs 8.5' wide? I need room for 2 motorcycles and the wife NEEDS a bathroom with plumbing and was thinking the extra foot could go a long way.
:thinking:

Thanks
Chris

Chris,
Welcome to the forum!
For Every Action (Choice), There is a Reaction (Consequence(s)).

Some Advantages
of an 7 foot wide trailer as opposed to an 8.5 would be that it's easier to see around. Easier to drive and turn in tight spaces. You still have the tires sticking out but it's easier to see around plus the corners don't stick out as much. For some folks like myself, that's enough for my choice of the 7 foot wide and the 6 foot wide would be better for some if you didn't need/desire the extra space. Consider where you will be pulling the rig, interstates primarily or mostly old abandoned fire roads back in the boonies.

Disadvantages of the 7 over the 8 or 8.5 would be space. If you were towing cars, then wider would required, but for motorcycles, most could be accommodated in the narrower rigs. Again, GoldWing scooters require a bit more width than dirt/trail bikes or grandma's 50cc. Consider your towables and consider your tow vehicle itself. Make sure you don't over-extend your manufacture's tow rating.

So there is no One Trailer Size that is better over another, it's just based upon needs/desires and positive cash flow. Just take some time and consider how you plan to use the trailer and what kind of destinations you plan on visiting. They are all wonderful, just built for different needs/desires.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

Another consideration is frontal area. Most "half-tons" spec frontal area limits. Also, increased width dramatically affects fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Crambone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks, I do have plans drawn up for both and we can get everything in a 7x18 with relative ease.
Crambone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome Crambone,
Nice handle. I think that you want to consider your primary function and plan around that. I am becoming more of a minimalist as I glide gracefully into the "Golden Years". I have learned that my needs are pretty basic, and sometimes less is more. A man can have too much stuff, and my stuff doesn't need to go on vacation with me. My wife see's things a little differently, Surprise! So in my case I wanted to haul the Harley to rallys and have a place to S, S, and occasionally sleep. I already owned the 6x12 and had used it for a work trailer for years. It was capable of hauling the Harley just fine and I have even had 2 full dressers in there, but it was tight and right at the GVRW. But my goal was to haul 1 Street Glide and have a little place to shack up. For 1-2 people and 1 bike 6x12 is just enough. 2 bikes, 2+ people you'll want more.
Probably the number1 recommendation would be to get the extra height. Even an extra 6" of headspace make a huge difference in comfort and ability to move about the cabin.
Have fun with your project, I'll be watching.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 am

Crambone, Howdy;

Welcome aboard!

From the responses that you've already received you can see it's all subjective to what your needs
and requirements are. It has been mentioned in several different threads that it would be to your
benefit to map out on the garage floor or some flat surface with tape what you need, where, and
how it all fits. Should save a lot of head scratching later. Just be sure to keep it fun...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Crambone » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

McDave, thanks its stuck with me since college.
Our plan is to extend our riding season in New England by heading to the Carolina's a couple weeks during the winter.
Thanks everyone for the input the tape will go down very soon. I have the dealers planning sheet so that will help with layout. Look at a Bravo Star, a little more expensive but have not seen many negative review about the trail.
Thanks
Crambone
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions