I Think They're On To Us!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

I Think They're On To Us!

Postby McDave » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:39 am

So Airstream has a CTC now. 7' x16' all aluminium. Pretty cool and very affordable, I'm sure.
Wonder if they would take a 2005 Pace CTC as trade in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCp_FWb ... 16.8980799

Ya gotta love that window...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Re: I Think They're On To Us!

Postby Homebrewer25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 am

They've done a pretty good job on this trailer, but WOW ... they sure are proud of it. $40 Gs.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby NO David! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 am

The original Airstream Basecamp was launched in 2007, then discontinued. IIRC, the design came from a partnership with Nissan, and of course designed to be easy SUV towable. I saved pictures of the Basecamp, knowing I couldn't afford one, but ended up here, and used the their features as my options list, and in a very rough and basic way, sketched my modular build around that. Couldn't duplicate the window of course, that would be cool for sure.

With just the two of us mostly now, If I could easily duplicate the Basecamp layout in a CTC, I'd probably do it, (but a little bigger...)

20007 Airstream Basecamp
http://www.colonialairstream.com/preowned-rvs/9722/index.html
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 am

I did not know about the 2007 model till today. Thanks, NO David!. I can see they have been busy keeping up with the trends. The 2017 is basically a camper only as the rear door has been changed and there is no longer a hauling capability.
That is a shame. I think they missed the market on that one. Even if you didn't want a toy hauler per se, a lot of people are using electric "Rascal" type scooters or the Vespa/moped bikes.
All in all it is a very nice attempt to copy my trailer. ;)
Now I just have to figure out how to copy that window. I can't stop looking at it. ... 8)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:39 am

They are also getting ready to enter the Egg Fray in a big way!

https://www.airstream.com/blog/nest-in- ... neak-peek/

The story of the NEST is more sordid too evidently but it looks interesting too.

One of the owners of the company that owns Airstream is a client family member of mine and we were talking recently about their move into Fiberglass and he is pretty excited about the whole thing.
They will be priced like all other things Airstream and way out of reach of many and certainly of reason but still they see needing more than one shift of production to keep up with the anticipated demand,we shall see.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Here is a short conversation with Colonial, I believe. From youtube comments.

D. McDave3 days ago

Well that is quite a set up there. I really like that window. The one draw back for me is the size of the rear door. While it is plenty big for egress, it renders the trailer incapable of hauling a Harley. Otherwise I love it.Patrick, that was an excellent presentation. Very informative. Great job.

Reply• 1

D. McDave

Colonial Airstream

Colonial Airstream3 days ago

Thank you for watching. Airstream did not intend on using the rear hatch to load large equipment.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions