black rubber diamond tread-Glue or No Glue

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

black rubber diamond tread-Glue or No Glue

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 am

I am putting the black rubber diamond tread from Home Depot in my CTC. Is it better to use glue to anchor it. I was thinking of just using some screws with big fat washers in case I want to take it out? Has anyone not used glue to install it?
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: black rubber diamond tread-Glue or No Glue

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

I glued it down. I can't afford to risk it stretching and/ or shifting when the Harley is in there. Also, I ride into the trailer and sometimes need to use throttle or brakes, backing it out as well. Trikes are a little different but I would glue it. On the ramp for sure, but it does give you some waterproofing as well and putting holes in it would end that. Plus they do want to expand/contract considerably with temp change. Glue controls this as it becomes part of the plywood. I'm pretty sure it would buckle and pucker if just bolted, probably want to tear at anchor points as well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Okay, you have me convinced to use glue. More work, but sound like it is worth it in the long run. Any recommendations on which glue to use? There many, many choices at Home Depot or Lowe's. Thanks for the guidance.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am

I used Roberts 6280 and a notched trowel. Lay that puppy out in the driveway in the sun and let it relax and get soft. Measure and cut. It will expand a lot if it is hot so just warm it up. I didn't worry too much about keeping it tight to the walls, left a 1/16-1/8 gap to allow for expansion, cover that with base moulding. Be sure to prep the plywood floor first. Screw heads and high spots or voids etc. will transmit through the vinyl and be noticeable.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-6280 ... /204064790
Good Luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions