Planning Questions for our HotelonWheels

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Planning Questions for our HotelonWheels

Postby Margali » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello All,

I'm Margali from Houston, TX. We are planning a CTC to have a bunkroom on wheels while retaining cargo option. CTC because we are a hefty family (DH 6'3" ~400lbs, me 5'6" 200lbs) and travel trailers are flimsy junk. The goal is to be able to visit family in DFW and Oklahoma easily where there are no spare rooms. We also want to go camping but I have medical condition that causes me to overheat easy and DH uses a CPAP. The rest of the crew is our 3 kids- 6, 2, and 1 yrs old.

TV is a 2017 Dodge Ram Lonestar with factory tow package including trailer brake controller. Dodge says it can pull 8200lbs. The trailer will be 7' wide and 6'6" or 7' internal height. Still trying to figure out how long but probably Vnose. I have some questions I haven't been able to figure out lurking.
1. How important is weight distribution while parked and rear stabilizing jacks are down? Our bed can conservatively see 700lbs if kids pile in. Do I need to center our bed over axle(s)? Plan is fold-down parent bed off of driver side wall and kid bunks across the back etrack mounted.
2. What are pros and cons of having battery out on tongue or side box? Does it only depend on if you have a sealed battery? I was leaning towards 30A plug, battery box, and control being in cabinet mid- driver side or in Vnose depending on Q1. Window air unit would be at top of stack and heating by small ceramic heater.
3. General consensus seems factory insulation sucks, factory rv door latch good, and factory window depends on welding skills? Neither of us can weld but I can pay welder from work to do things.

That's all I got for right now... Thanks!
Last edited by Margali on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margali, DH, and 3 minions

2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar, 7'x 16'x 7'h v-nose
Margali
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hello- 7x? Planning Questions

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm

1. As long as the rear jacks are down, weight distribution isn't really a factor. But if you are unhooked from the truck without the jacks down it will pop a nice wheelie and comes down real hard when everyone hurries back to the front. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:
2. Depends on the battery type. FLA (flooded lead acid) need to be outside or in a sealed compartment that is vented to the outside. AGM (absorbent gas mat) doesn't matter where you mount them. Others here will have better detail on this subject.
3. Have the factory do it! I did my own but I have the tools and such. Even so, I would seriously consider the factory if I did it again.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Re: Hello- 7x? Planning Questions

Postby hankaye » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 am

Margali, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see we haven't scared everyone away... :)

1. How important is weight distribution while parked and rear stabilizing jacks are down? Our bed can conservatively see 700lbs if kids pile in. Do I need to center our bed over axle(s)? Plan is fold-down parent bed off of driver side wall and kid bunks across the back etrack mounted.

Weight & Balance are mostly for your handling and roadability, meaning it won't wag like a dog's tail
(tail heavy), or push the rear of your tow vehicle down (featherlite steering). Rear stabilizers as the
previous poster mentioned keep it form becoming a teeter-tooter when parked and not connected
to your tow vehicle.

2. What are pros and cons of having battery out on tongue or side box? Does it only depend on if you have a sealed battery? I was leaning towards 30A plug, battery box, and control being in cabinet mid- driver side or in Vnose depending on Q1. Window air unit would be at top of stack and heating by small ceramic heater.

RV's have been toting their batteries on the tongue for a lot of years. Their tongues are long enough to
deal with them and the propane tanks as well. So, you need to consider that when you go shoppin'. Some
manufactures will extend it others won't ASK...

3. General consensus seems factory insulation sucks, factory rv door latch good, and factory window depends on welding skills? Neither of us can weld but I can pay welder from work to do things.

That's what I've read (didn't have it in mine), RV door latch VERY good, Good only if you are 100% well, maybe >75%
positive of exactly where you want them placed. If not then talk with your friend from work, also,some
have braced around the windows with wood. Haven't seen them back on here telling them us it didn't work out ...
fielder's choice there thinking it would depend on the shape of the "studs" .

You've got lots of thinkin', considerin', and planin' to do, Keep it fun keep it interesting, keep it FUN.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions