Insurance for converted trailers

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Insurance for converted trailers

Postby Dieselmike1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm

I bought a 7x20 stealth v-nose to convert, and have been trying to get insurance. Nobody wants to insure a conversion. Just wondering if you guys can help with some companies that your using. The only company that said they would insure it is my auto ins co. which is shelter insurance, but they want $625.00 a year. :shock:
Dieselmike1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Insurance for converted trailers

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Here in Canada, my insurance company (ICBC) insures our trailer as a commercial trailer for replacement value, but not contents. We broke a spring on the trailer on Hwy 101 in Oregon last June on our way home from the desert south west. ICBC covered cost of repairs and our out of pocket costs to have CT repaired enough in Oregon so we could get home.

I found a company online out of Calgary, AB that insures RVs. I filled in the paperwork online, gave NEO serial number and all details (2014 NAVR, etc.) and my assessed value to replace. If I remember correctly, cost is about $600/yr (Cdn).

There is a difference too as to which insurance company gets involved vis a vis whether the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle or not. I don't remember all the details on that aspect.

I know this probably doesn't help you state-side but might be of interest to forum members in Canada.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby CaptD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

I used my State Farm agent. They like all the money that I pay them for insurance on: Homeowners, Auto (for my van), 3 Motorcycles and Umbrella. Before I bought my trailer I went and talked to them about coverage as I was planning to buy, pick up and drive from New Hampshire back home to FL. I told them that it was an empty cargo trailer. They asked me what I was going to do/haul with it. I told them private use only - No commercial use of any kind. I told them that I would insulate and build out the interior and use the trailer for camping and hauling motorcycles. I made sure to tell them that I would have gasoline for the motorcycles and propane for the outdoor grills inside while traveling. They nor I ever used the words "toy hauler" or "conversion". I don't have a bed inside (lazy boy recliner) and use my (camper) van to sleep in. The only policy they offered was actual cash value and not replacement value. $210.00 a year. After giving them the check all they said was to call them for a start/coverage date and the vin /serial # before I left the builders property. When I get to be a full timer I will shop around for more and better coverage. I joined the Escapees and have learned about campsite liability insurance and selecting the proper insurance agent that will provide me with the proper insurance coverage. Capt D.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby fourbtgait » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Allstate covers the trailer itself under auto policy, no extra money.
Contents/build I dont worry about.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:23 am

fourbtgait wrote:Allstate covers the trailer itself under auto policy, no extra money.
Contents/build I dont worry about.

That was my understanding with Farm Bureau. As long as it is hitched to the T.V. I'm covered for trailer replacement and "contents". The Harley is covered separately. Trailer also covered (Homeowners) if inside the barn. However, the Harley, Indian and '57 Chevy and '58 Rambler are not covered under homeowners because they are "self powered" and can be insured with vehicle policies. Same story for my work trucks and daily drivers. And that's just the beginning of the policies I carry....I think I even have insurance on my insurance. I remember when the wife decided she wanted to get her brokers licence, I thought "Yeah, that could save us a fortune." Not so much......

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby freeriders98 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 am

I went through progressive. Told them it was a converted cargo trailer. Policy will cover theft and the items inside when not hooked to the TV. Added $10k of additional coverage to cover all the dirt bikes in it. Also is new replacement in the case of a total loss. $130 for the year!
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions