New Member! Off Grid CTC Battery Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New Member! Off Grid CTC Battery Question

Postby smtxom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Hello, my name is Oscar. I'm in Texas and I've just acquired a 6x10 cargo trailed that I plan to convert to a camper. My question to you guys is regarding the battery for my battery bank. I'd like to have Sealed batteries but they seem to be cost prohibitive at the moment and I see cheaper FLA batteries that could fit my needs. My initial plan was to have the batteries sit on a rack above the tongue and run the wires in through flexible conduit to the controller on the inside. This is to avoid them gassing off inside the trailer as well as to avoid having to build storage for them in the already confined space inside. Will the FLA batteries have trouble with the heat being outside in the Texas sun? Part of me says they'll be fine if I vent the battery enclosure and maybe add a small dc fan or two. Don't they work fine sitting under the hot hood of most vehicles??? The other part of me says I'm going to destroy some expensive batteries with the heat build up. Any thoughts?
smtxom
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Member! Off Grid CTC Battery Question

Postby MtnDon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

If you placed them inside the CTC they would in all likelihood be hotter during much of a summers day.

Some auto batteries are specially formulated to have better survival rates in the heat of the SW. However, an automotive cranking battery is the worst type to choose for off grid type use as those do not last well when undergoing the deeper discharge cycles that will occur in off grid type use. The thinner plates don't like the deeper discharges. Your best bang for the buck will be a 6 volt golf cart battery. Buy two, place in series for 12 VDC.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby smtxom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:02 am

MtnDon wrote:If you placed them inside the CTC they would in all likelihood be hotter during much of a summers day.

Some auto batteries are specially formulated to have better survival rates in the heat of the SW. However, an automotive cranking battery is the worst type to choose for off grid type use as those do not last well when undergoing the deeper discharge cycles that will occur in off grid type use. The thinner plates don't like the deeper discharges. Your best bang for the buck will be a 6 volt golf cart battery. Buy two, place in series for 12 VDC.

That's actually the type of battery I had in mind. Batteries + Bulbs has Duracell 6v 230ah FLA "golf cart" batteries for $115. I was just worried about them not being able to handle the heat. You think they'll be fine in an enclosure on the tongue?
smtxom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 am

These batteries are designed for use outside and will be just fine there.

Sams Club also sells Duracell and might be a little cheaper too?

Certainly worth checking.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am

Those batts are top value.

Yes heat reduces lifetime, do what you can, but then they're cheap, if you treat them well otherwise might last 5 years rather than 7, heroic measures not worth it.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Heavy_Fuel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

Too high of a float voltage will ruin them faster than ambient temperature.

Costco has decent deep cycle batteries too.
Heavy_Fuel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Costco's are JCI, not nearly as good as East Penn.

IMO only if no B+ or Sam's near you.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby m.colley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 am

EZDog wrote:These batteries are designed for use outside and will be just fine there.

Sams Club also sells Duracell and might be a little cheaper too?

Certainly worth checking.

I 2nd that. My Sam's Club here sells them here for S86.99 + core. I asked at my local store and core charge is $15.00 if you don't have exchanges.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions