Question: Mighty Mini vs MPPT Solar Controller

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Question: Mighty Mini vs MPPT Solar Controller

Postby smtxom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello, I'm new to TnTTT and greatly appreciate all the folks who share and help others like myself just starting out on the journey. I've run into a problem. I planned on mounting 2x 100watt solar panels on my CTC and have them feed a 12v/200ah battery bank. I was going to use the PD Mighty Mini 4045 so I could use shore power when it was available and run off of my batteries when it wasn't. The problem is I've read up on the MM charge controller and it says it only charges your batteries to 90%. When you factor in that you can realistically only use 50% of your battery bank because you'll damage the batteries if drained any further the 10% "loss" in charge is huge. Is there anyone here with experience using the Mighty Mini in combination with Solar power? Anyone see any problems with battery life after using the Mighty Mini to charge their batteries? From what I've read Sealed/AGM batteries really like to be topped off completely or you'll lose a lot of life from them. Any and all help/advice is appreciated. Thank you
smtxom
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Question: Mighty Mini vs MPPT Solar Controller

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
The boost charge only charges to 90%. If you read the next line down the Normal Mode "Safely completes the charge"
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power ... 00-series/
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby smtxom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:Welcome to the forum :D
The boost charge only charges to 90%. If you read the next line down the Normal Mode "Safely completes the charge"
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power ... 00-series/

Thanks! I guess I missed that part. Anyone have a "how to" to wire one up? I'll see if I can find one using "search" but if anyone has it handy I'd appreciate it!
smtxom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am

smtxom, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum, the information you seek is in the link already provided.
Open it and look for the DOWNLOADS tab, give it a click and you will find the
one for installation and a few others things as well.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby smtxom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am

hankaye wrote:smtxom, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum, the information you seek is in the link already provided.
Open it and look for the DOWNLOADS tab, give it a click and you will find the
one for installation and a few others things as well.

hank

I read it a few days ago and it was Greek to me. I was hoping for someone who had done one already who might provide it in "simple" terms. I found "Springdew's" write up she has here on the forum as well as on her blog. Very grateful for those before us who have made the learning curve that much level. Thanks again, TnTTT!
smtxom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark959 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

so the mighty mini is a distribution panel and charges the batteries, and is a power converter?

is this for you guys that plug into shore power to charge batteries (while also using solar?) while providing 120v to the trailer or what?

Or do you provide the inverter for 120vac from 12vdc, use this as a breaker box, and also provide a solar controller to charge batteries off grid, use this ongrid to charge batteries?

mppt solar charging is very efficient :thumbsup:
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 am

Mark959 wrote:so the mighty mini is a distribution panel and charges the batteries, and is a power converter?

is this for you guys that plug into shore power to charge batteries (while also using solar?) while providing 120v to the trailer or what?

Or do you provide the inverter for 120vac from 12vdc, use this as a breaker box, and also provide a solar controller to charge batteries off grid, use this ongrid to charge batteries?

mppt solar charging is very efficient :thumbsup:

The solar controller and power inverter are normally separate units from the power center. The power centers are a slick way to incorporate a battery charger, DC power supply w/fuses, and AC breakers all in one nice box. When plugged into shore power or generator it functions as an AC breaker box, battery charger and dc power supply. When off AC power it functions as a fuse box for all your DC circuits. Imho no trailer should be without one.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

WFCO and Power Dynamics Power centers are probably the best way to handle the distribution and protection of wiring and power. They should be at the heart your electrical system design. Most if not all MPPT controllers have a transfer switch circuit that senses shore power input voltage and of course battery condition. These Power Centers are very effective at battery charging and conditioning and are programmed to utilize 3-step charging. When you are off grid the MPPT basically replaces shore power. If you need or want 120 vac when off grid you will also need an inverter to produce AC from battery bank. If you have Air Conditioning and want to operate off grid you will need a generator as well.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-centers/

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the clarifications, I am still working on the electrical design on my CTC. I have an mppt charger and will be getting a new pure sine inverter, I will look into this too :thumbsup:
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 am

The instructions with the PD4045 are pretty miserable. Check out this thread... http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59874
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions