Wiring & Cable Tray Questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby freeriders98 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm

I am going to start wiring my trailer up soon. And as I do it I would like to keep the wires easily accessible for adding things into the system in the future, and also for tracking down issues.

I would like to run some sort of cable tray along the top of each side of the trailer. I am looking for ideas on what to use or example of what people here have done.

I love this product/idea, but would be more than I want to spend.
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Cable-Ra ... le+raceway
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wiring & Cable Tray Questions

Postby lrrowe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm

That is exactly what I would consider if I were to do it again. But first I would wire behind the walls for the runs that are no-brainers. Then the cable tray idea would be for those cases where I want to do something different.
The one problem I can see with this idea is that for outlets and such teed off the run would most likely be in channels on the wall's surface. Not exactly the best looking alternative.

As far as how to hid the ceiling run, you can use the crown moulding concept. I build a hidden LED light strip covering in mine. That idea could be modified to include wire runs.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby freeriders98 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Yeah mine will remain more toy hauler/ cargo trailer than camper. So all outlets will be up front in the vnose with the cabinets I plan to put in. And some LED lights along the ceiling where wire would be running in the tray.

I like the crown molding idea if I were finishing it off more.
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 pm

i bought some of this stuff but haven't used it yet

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wire ... 17688.html
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

I ran all the wiring going to the rear behind those license plates. The wires are captive in the zip tie w/eyelet type mounts and screwed to the roof spars. The plates are at 45 deg. so I could deal with the rounded roof edge. The plates just slide in behind trim at ceiling and wall. Easy access, can add or repair wire and use that weird space for something. As a bonus the indirect lighting washing up the wall strikes the plates and they reflect and light up adding some reasonable light at eye level. If you have the rounded corners you could put strip LEDs and a frosted lens or similar.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Its hard to know really what level of finish you are going for overall but it is not a great distance from front to back usually in these trailers so I am not sure how much prep for running wire later you really need?
Any open loom tray will be visible from what you say?

I would run "Smurf" tube which is a non-metallic conduit ,probably between a few small boxes along the side where I might want to go across the ceiling down the road.it is easy to work with and to find and pretty cheap but reliable and protective of the wiring too.

Here is an example of a prewire for a 75" TV on an articulating arm mount that I did where I ran wire that I knew I would need but also ran the tube for anything later that might come up.

ImageImageImage

If you think you will need vertical runs later then you can bury it in the wall too right next to insulation and you can also run it outside under the floor later if you don't put it where you end up wanting it!

It is also pretty easy to Fish wire later in such a short distance to me.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby freeriders98 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm

It is more to keep things accessible for easy access if I need to chase down a bad connection or short. Rather than having to pull paneling off again.

My trailer is a 7x16 with the extra height, so basically an 18' run down each side. And with the extra height I can put a cable tray up in the top corner and you wouldn't see wires.

I am really disappointed in the wiring quality that came on the trailer. If I was smart and not as lazy I would have redone all of the connections, tucked it up all better and cleaned it up. But...I didn't, so I am sure I will pay for that later.
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Postby freeriders98 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 pm

McDave wrote:146343
I ran all the wiring going to the rear behind those license plates. The wires are captive in the zip tie w/eyelet type mounts and screwed to the roof spars. The plates are at 45 deg. so I could deal with the rounded roof edge. The plates just slide in behind trim at ceiling and wall. Easy access, can add or repair wire and use that weird space for something. As a bonus the indirect lighting washing up the wall strikes the plates and they reflect and light up adding some reasonable light at eye level. If you have the rounded corners you could put strip LEDs and a frosted lens or similar.

McDave

That is a cool idea!!! Was going to use my License plate collection as a back splash on the counter we are putting in it. But may have to look at doing this!
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:52 pm

freeriders98 wrote:It is more to keep things accessible for easy access if I need to chase down a bad connection or short. Rather than having to pull paneling off again.

My trailer is a 7x16 with the extra height, so basically an 18' run down each side. And with the extra height I can put a cable tray up in the top corner and you wouldn't see wires.

I am really disappointed in the wiring quality that came on the trailer. If I was smart and not as lazy I would have redone all of the connections, tucked it up all better and cleaned it up. But...I didn't, so I am sure I will pay for that later.

Well you can just use a 1x and 1/4" plywood on its face twice the width of the 1x to make your own tray screwed to the top of the studs all the way across the side.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:50 am

freeriders98 wrote:I am going to start wiring my trailer up soon. And as I do it I would like to keep the wires easily accessible for adding things into the system in the future, and also for tracking down issues.

I would like to run some sort of cable tray along the top of each side of the trailer. I am looking for ideas on what to use or example of what people here have done.

A low cost way. Would be some vinyl siding J canal. Cut some of the mounting flange off if you want it closer to the roof.
You might lay a string of led lights in it for lighting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby freeriders98 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 am

KennethW wrote:
freeriders98 wrote:I am going to start wiring my trailer up soon. And as I do it I would like to keep the wires easily accessible for adding things into the system in the future, and also for tracking down issues.

A low cost way. Would be some vinyl siding J canal. Cut some of the mounting flange off if you want it closer to the roof.
You might lay a string of led lights in it for lighting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That is a perfect idea!! I'll look into that
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 am

[/quote]A low cost way. Would be some vinyl siding J canal. Cut some of the mounting flange off if you want it closer to the roof.[/quote]

brilliant! that was exactly what i was looking for and i already have it in my garage. the 'undersill trim' will suit me better as i only have a few light wires to run.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby faust_21 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Here is what I plan to do. Will provide good lighting as well as a place to run wiring. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions