question about folding steps

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

question about folding steps

Postby Mark959 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Hello all,
I'm trying to size a good step for my trailer, I would prefer a folding step but might resort to a permanent non-folding installation.

First off what do they mean when they say total drop, I assume that is the distance between the top and bottom of the steps - maybe including deck height?

I bought a folding step a while back for my trailer, It is 20" from the ground to the interior floor height. I tried to split the difference with 10" to top of step but it was too much still for some people so I am thinking a two-stepper is the way to go.

So two steps the perfect spacing would be 6 2/3" spacing or so. I've seen 7" spacing, that could work if I can find one...

Trailer specs:
20" to deck
15.75" to bottom of frame
(so would this be 13.33" total drop?)

I would need the first step to drop around 2 1/2" when extended, the other about 7"

Anyone know of something or can find something that fits the bill?
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Re: question about folding steps

Postby Mark959 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

If I wanted a single step this would be close to splitting the distance from ground to deck, right?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Motorhome-C ... Sx&vxp=mtr

But if i wanted a more reasonable step height, with two steps the only things I could find that would be close were 3-steppers and cutting off the lowest step...

closest two-stepper i found was hickory springs SM-24-20 https://media.wix.com/ugd/295e2d_b7a177 ... c1eeb3.pdf
That would be 5.7 off the ground (more or less depending on the camp sites and trailer loading), they say 7" rise but the math says 6.32 step height, then an 8" step... yuck. Only other option I see is to relief then reinforce the frame some if I *really* want a folder. Or change axle height...

I guess the first step would only drop an inch or so, maybe they have straight pullouts instead of floppers. I might just have to stick to the one stepper, would said above link work? Or I can make a pair of steps and do my best for ground clearance :D

Or could I do something crazy like stack two steps together this guy with one under it?: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper- ... gJaPfD_BwE
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Or are scissor steps the way to go?

something along the lines of these:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper- ... /AS02.html

Seems like they are perfect, except they have to be unmounted for transport. But they make it quick... Might be worth the hassle
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 am

Mark959 , Howdy;

You're on the right track but the sissor steps are for slide-in truck campers. The ones that you
see in the beds of pick up trucks. Here's a (IMO), better choice. Had a set like this on my old
Tow behind RV whose floor was at a similar height above ground as most CTs
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper- ... XWAC1.html

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mark959 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 am

Looks like a good option, thanks!

I will have to double check measurements. Maybe mock up something, but i like that style best and the price is great...
The top step to the floor is about 10" but the rest looks good to me. Just eyeballing and going off memory i would say ~3 to first step, 6.75 to second, 10 to last step.

Perhaps i could recess the steps some so i dont have to drop 5 inches to start
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am

Mark959, Howdy;

Don't forget that when you are camping the site may not be as level as your driveway or storage
area. the rise from the ground to the bottom step will vary.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am

7" is a pretty good rise and 7-10" run. You are at 20" to deck so a 2 step 7" rise is about perfect. Obviously you want to measure when trailer is level on a good surface like driveway. When you are camping you probably wont have a concrete pad so the 1st step will vary some. These are called 7" rise and are recommended for 18.5- 24" deck height https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper- ... AC1.htmlht.

I am going to install a set of stairs myself. I have run over 2 portable steps and had 2 plastic steps break when I stepped down on them.
I built a plywood box with a hinged lid and some handles and rubber diamond tread on top. I tried to run it over too, but it was tall enough that the tire just pushed it down the driveway. Luckily I heard it and stopped. But when I do destroy it I'm going with folding stairs.

McDave
Last edited by McDave on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Great input!

The frame tubing is 2x3 (w x h), with ~2.75" z-channel running between the tubes for the decking. Looking at the hickory step PDF it says the step height is only 3.68" drop to top step when opened:
https://media.wix.com/ugd/295e2d_b7a177 ... c1eeb3.pdf
https://www.strombergcarlson.com/local/ ... -24-20.pdf

which would be perfect under the frame, for around 7" from top step to deck. But etrailer says its 5.25" drop which would be less ideal... Part numbers match, I think etrailer has bad information. I will take the risk, because this will be perfect if the above diagrams are correct!
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah, I think somebody transposed that dimension from the 9" rise stairs. 3" frame +.75 decking + 3.68 drop = 7.43 + or -
In residential applications you often hear the term cadence applied to stair rise and run design. I 'm a fan of a 4/4 beat when I'm walking or dancing so I really try to keep that cadence when designing stair stringers. The stairs are about the same rise as run, but I have been known to add couple inches to the run and keep the rise shallow to slow the speed and accommodate my aging knees and size 12 feet. My wife is tiny and has size 5 feet but she moves like there is something on sale! clickclickclickclickclick. She's a lot younger and a lot less miles but she is 5'4" I'm 6'0" and I can't keep up. But I digress, and wander and ramble. The point was that you can set the speed and effort required by changing the rise and run.
I'm turning into my father already....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Exactly, I am trying to keep a consistent cadence between the steps after ground. Might be OCD, I'm not sure how bothersome that extra half an inch will be on the last step to deck, but it should still be a helluva lot better than the old stretch anyway. I could always cut 5/8" off the bottom tubing, weld in some 1/8" plate - that would get me a half inch without compromising too much structural integrity. But I doubt anyone would have trouble if I just mounted it on normally.

Thanks guys!
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Mark959, Howdy;

Don't forget that the steps come in both 20" and 24" widths. That way you can either
mount them to the frame or the flooring which will also act to adjust first step going out.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mark959 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm

The step spacing on the website was correct, the drafts werent.

Quite odd, I think I can make it work anyway :x
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:12 am

So what did you end up with? What is the first drop distance?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 pm

about 5 1/2" drop height. I am going to mount it behind the frame tubing and recessed up 1.5-2inches, it looks like the step will be far out enough to still work good. Otherwise the bottom step is almost on the ground, with a ~10" jump from the top step to the deck.

If i recess it, the rise should be close to equal. I just have to make sure there is enough run on the way out :R

The only other obstacle is that the door is sitting above the tubing from the tongue, it wont just drop in recess unless i go back a ways... I will measure and maybe take some photos next time i'm under.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:51 am

Step wont work, etrailer doesnt have a 20" in this model. Step is too wide for the framing.

Looking into other options, hell id be fine with a fixed step at this point. I could always remount axle under the springs for more height, worst case scenario, for better spacing if need be
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions