question about folding steps

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: question about folding steps

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Yeah, I'd say it is time to send that back and re group here. Well, you know a hell of a lot more about what won't work now.
Maybe it's time to design your own. Here's some food for thought. How about a set that doesn't fold but has a quick attach/remove design? Still free from the ground by approx. 7" and a 7/7 or 7/10 rise/run Starting at floor to 1st step down.
I'll give it some thought. How are your fabricating skills? Or do you have a metal guy? Can you give me a pretty close dimension From top of finish floor to bottom of frame rail and a sketch of the frame at the door area. I am familiar with that tongue frame that comes back there.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:16 pm

thanks for all the advice. I can weld and fab decently... I was thinking something like the steps you put on trucks could work too, but not as nice.

Top of floor is 20" off level ground currently, off the top of my head the bottom of the frame was about 16.25 give or take. I'll snag some pictures and measurements next time I'm home. My house caught fire so I'm displaced, partly why I wanted to get the trailer more comfortable

The other option is I mount the steps on normally and cut the rivets off the lower step. Should make it close to halfway split with one step, verified by clamping it on there
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Hey Mark,
Sorry to hear about your house. That's a tough blow this time of year. I hope you are OK and in milder weather.
Just hang in there, things will get better.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

Mark959, Howdy;

Never a good time of year to have the home go up in flames ... however, it takes
up a huge volume of brain space. As things start to resemble what ever your 'normal'
was you'll be better able to figure out a working fix for the step problem. In the
mean time, take care of the priority items then work on the makes life easier bits.
BTDT, used to have a T-shirt but that was back in the early 80's.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions