Finally Finished!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Finally Finished!

Postby tandempair » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Yay! We are finally finished. (mostly. lol) We finished just in time to get one last camping trip in before the campgrounds in our area closed. Our layout seemed to work well, but we do want to change our fold down bench into a fold down table with a fold down bench on each end. Also want to add a fold in step to make getting in and out of the trailer easier. We modified the pull down bed to make it easier. It originally had to big springs on each side and had to be pulled down manually bit by bit with pins inserted in each corner, then lowered again with the process repeated, until it was all the way down. We modified it using a Racor Ceiling storage lift kit. Goes up and down with the help of our drill and a lever that inserts into the pulley handle. We knew that from time to time we would be using our trailer for extended periods of time and the other system we had was just too much work to do twice a day. The ladder we use to get in the bed fits snug and secure onto the bed and our tandem trike easily fits under the bed at night. We couldn't find any cabinets that fit what we wanted for storage so we hired a local cabinet maker to build some and install them. We are very happy with that decision. I think we have more storage space than we had in our 18 foot camping trailer that we sold, Rather than paint the walls I put about 4 coats of poly on them. They aren't a smooth texture, but I like the natural look over paint and this way they have some protection against humidity. We don't have any water tanks. In the spring I will add a hand pump faucet. 1 jerry can under the sink for fresh water and another for gray water. We wanted to keep things as simple as possible and not have to winterize every year. [album][/album]151304151305151307151308150127150126
Last edited by tandempair on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Finally Finished!

Postby tandempair » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Finally got pics added!
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Those cabinets look great! I especially like the porta potty slide out.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Very nicely done :lol: That trailer should serve you very well. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tandempair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:Those cabinets look great! I especially like the porta potty slide out.

Thanks. t s on a wheeled platform so if we want to move it to the back of the trailer we can. The wheels lock in place.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tandempair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am

I think it will. We can finally take our tandem trike with us when we go camping. Our trip in October was to a campground right next to a cycling trail. During the day, when we are around, we have a cover for the trike. Not much room to move around at night, once it is stowed inside. (It is 10 ft long) but we just get anything we need out of the cabinet across from it before we out it in.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NotJammer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 am

Very nice!

Do you strap the trike down or is heavy enough to stay put?

My 2 wheel 300 lb scooter rear wheel moves all around. I need to change that. I tried one strap wrapped around the wheel and hooked each side. It moved a lot by the rear tire marks. Front is fine.

It must be warmer sleeping up in the air. I am still planning...
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby tandempair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

NotJammer wrote:Very nice!

Do you strap the trike down or is heavy enough to stay put?

My 2 wheel 300 lb scooter rear wheel moves all around. I need to change that. I tried one strap wrapped around the wheel and hooked each side. It moved a lot by the rear tire marks. Front is fine.

It must be warmer sleeping up in the air. I am still planning...

It is a non motorized trike, the cycling type. Power is provided by our legs. Lol It is a GreenSpeen Tandem Recumbent Trike. Nt smething real common. It has 2 wheels in front and one wheel in the back. Our seats are about 18 inches above the ground. Weighs about 80 lbs.b. We do strap it down when traveling. It is 10 ft long so when we had our regular camper we couldn't take it with us when we traveled. Now we can. That is the purpose of converting a cargo trailer to a camper for us. I think there is a pic of it in my Gallery.
tandempair
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions