What would you change? Custom options

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: What would you change? Custom options

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:My understanding is that the Coleman Mach 8 Cub (9,200 BTU) is the smallest rooftop air conditioner available. However, I do not think it can be started by a 2,000 watt generator. Supposedly, the unit draws 11.7 amps (1400 watts) while the compressor is running which means, I suspect, that it pulls at least 2.5 times the amps at startup. Even with shore power, in my opinion, these units are quite noisy. There is a hush kit that can be purchased to reduce the sound. However, the sound is still too high for my preference.

Below is a link to a YouTube where a guy tested this unit for sound before and after installation of the hush kit. The before and after sound testing starts around the four minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VqoYCK7HtE

Next below is a link to the Coleman specs.

https://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/pr ... ile/mach-8

As for portable units, I experimented with both a single hose and a dual hose model ... not for me... for all the reasons flboy said.

Hope Iam not beating a dead horse here.

No I appreciate the input. I did some research on the Cub and the Honda generator this am and found a few videos. They are noisy but the quiet kit seems to help. It looks like the combo should work well together if need be.

I found one video claiming to run a Mach 8 Cub off of a Honda EU2000i but he only shows the generator, no footage of the actual AC: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsb34w9rPA/url]

This one shows another guy running a 12,000 BTU window unit off the same generator: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNA4d2jvxAc/url]
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the guy running the 12k BTU unit off the Honda generator was not in eco mode. I doubt that that generator could handle that unit cycling in eco mode.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you all again for your help. I just got home from the trailer dealer and I ordered up my Look Element V-Nose 6x12 with the following options:

18" entended tongue
Brakes
Side RV door with a screen door
Rear barn doors
(2) 30x30" windows, one on each side
(2) Ceiling punched and braced for a MaxxFan and possibly an A/C if needed
Scissor stab jacks
Insulation on the floor and the walls
Porch light instead of a dome light since I will be doing my own wiring inside

I had originally planned to insulate the trailer myself but Look does one hell of a job installing the flooring and heavy side walls in their trailers and it would be a real bear to pull it out to insulate under. It was less than $400 to have them do it while they are building it which is more than worth it considering the cost of materials and the time to do it all.

Now it's just waiting the 10-12 weeks for them to get it built and then I start my own build!
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Very exciting. Likely to be the longest 10 to 12 weeks of your life. :-) I had to wait 6 to 8 weeks when I ordered my CArgo Trailer and it seemed like forever. It reminded me of when I was a kid waiting for Christmas. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW... Merry Christmas!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Did they specify what they will insulate with for that price?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 pm

pchast wrote:Did they specify what they will insulate with for that price?

Styrofoam in the walls. I forgot what the floor is being done with but it's at least R5 if not R7. I was planning 1" XPS for the floors so it works out the same. I figure this gives me a good base behind the walls and if I need to add more I can do another layer over the factory walls before I add in paneling.
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 am

Btw... you will like the extended tonque... not just for storage potential, but for backing up. I made sure I ordered the extended tongue on my current CTC.

First, the longer the trailer between the hitch and trailer wheels, the easier they seem to back up. Second and very important is that your trailer won't get the bumper dents in the VNose when you inevitably jacknife it while backing up. Don't ask me how I know this. :-)

Almost every CT I see with the V built out on the tongue and the subsequent short tongue, has bumper imprints. I just smile when I see it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby PigTrail » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Good call on the extended tongue. I DON'T have this and always have a bit of pucker factor backing into tight campsites. I have a V-nose and am always nearly jack-kniffed and wish I had ordered the longer tongue. Good base package for your build!
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby Hader » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am

PrecisionLook612 wrote:That's a pretty slick setup! I wonder what he did to protect the screens going down the road?

The screen is flush with the bottom of the cross members. If something hits the screen, it means I already had some damage long before that, somewhere else in the front of the trailer.
As to water splash from the road! It's located front of the trailer wheels, and far from the tires of the vehicle where splash should be minimal.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

flboy wrote:Very exciting. Likely to be the longest 10 to 12 weeks of your life. :-) I had to wait 6 to 8 weeks when I ordered my CArgo Trailer and it seemed like forever. It reminded me of when I was a kid waiting for Christmas. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW... Merry Christmas!

Luckily we are pretty busy till March so it is almost a blessing the trailer is going to take that long. Merry Christmas to you too!
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby jr9744 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

So much passion on this forum!!!

I like your initial list.

Here are some things I would order knowing what I know now:
- Extended tongue so you can put stuff on it like propane tanks
- 16 Stud lengths and heavy duty studs. Mines are 24 OC and 1 inch studs
- You mention 6' height. I've only had 7 foot, and I love it. I can stand and move around with no problem.
- I would in general have bought a better trailer. I went cheap and I really didn't have too. Do the research and buy a better product.

Think that is all that comes off top.

Good luck on your build. Look forward to seeing it.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby sodatrain » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Excited to watch your build! I'm working on dialing in my specs and hope to order soon-ish. Thinking 7x12 so similar to yours! :D
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Charly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

I am going to tag onto this thread with similar questions.

I am not going to be doing any AC, so no need to discuss it ;)

Current plans:

6x12 v nose single axle
extend tongue to 60"
3500 lb straight axle with brakes
16" OC in floor, walls, and roof
1 piece roof
.030 exterior
bar lock in addition to RV lock on side door

I will put in my own windows. I may, if i get windows first, ask them to frame out the windows. And I will likely get a second roof vent frame out.

I would love a 32" RV door with screen, but dont think I can afford it.

anything else youd'd consider?
Charly
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Charly wrote:I am going to tag onto this thread with similar questions.

I am not going to be doing any AC, so no need to discuss it ;)

Current plans:

6x12 v nose single axle
extend tongue to 60"
3500 lb straight axle with brakes
16" OC in floor, walls, and roof
1 piece roof
.030 exterior
bar lock in addition to RV lock on side door

I will put in my own windows. I may, if i get windows first, ask them to frame out the windows. And I will likely get a second roof vent frame out.

I would love a 32" RV door with screen, but dont think I can afford it.

anything else youd'd consider?

If you can swing it I would go for the RV door and screen first thing because in order to swap it out down the road you have to remove the door and frame and drop in a whole new one. I I need to find the build sheet but I feel like the door upgrade was under $200.

I'll second the additional roof vent frame out. First it will add more roof stability and its there in case you change your mind down the road on the A/C or you just want to add a second roof vent. I did the extra on mine and for now I am just insulating it and putting the ceiling below for now.
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions