Sturgis Trip-Custer State Park

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Sturgis Trip-Custer State Park

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Will be taking the CTC to Sturgis (along with my Tri-Glide) next year. We are staying at the Custer State Park in the "Game Lodge" RV Park. Has anyone camped at this park before? Any positive or negative comments? Been to Sturgis many times, but this will be the first time I didn't ride there. Putting the the new CTC to work. Still working on it, but hope to have all of the amenities in place before we go. We get back from Phoenix in April so I will have from till August to prepare. I know the nights can be cool and the days can be hot if you are out riding.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Sturgis Trip-Custer State Park

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 pm

We stayed in the Stockade South Campground when we went several years ago. They had flush toilets, showers and power at the camp site. We liked it a lot, we could leave the dog behind in the trailer with the A/C on and go hit the monuments.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:42 am

This will be my 23rd Sturgis, but I've never stayed at a State campground. I used to just get a hotel in Deadwood. Only 200 miles for me. But then the Wife started show some interest and would join me for a day or two, but that was about all she could take. I got this trailer built and she's been to Red lodge for the Ironhorse Rodeo a couple times now. I just looked at the link bdosborn gave and that looks like a viable alternative to staying at Glencoe with the freak show. I have to talk it over with some of the gang but I saw some sites were still available. We may move south this year, I always ride Custer anyways so maybe we stay there and visit Sturgis instead? Either way stay in touch about that time and maybe we can rendezvous for cocktails somewhere.. I'm buyin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:39 pm

It does look like a nice park. They don't stack everybody so close together. I have camped at the "Chip" twice (small tent), stayed at a Sturgis hotel (HI Express) twice and stayed in Wall (safe, but a little boring once you've seen the Drug Store) once. This will be my first time hauling the bike and staying at a campground. A different "Sturgis Experience". I will be at the Game Lodge at space GL07E. 08/05-08/09. Should be a lot of fun. I will buy you a drink. I owe you for all of the tips I have gotten for the CTC. This is a pic of my spot. Pretty roomy.

game-lodge-7.jpg
game-lodge-7.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby rainjer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm

We stayed at the Game Lodge Campground in July 2016. It was a nice campground with clean bathrooms and showers. You do have to pay a park entrance fee even if you are staying in the campground. Also it will take you a 1.5 to 2 hours each way to get to Sturgis. We found the fastest route was to go out the east side of the park on on Hwy 36 then north on Hwy 79 to Rapid City From here you can hit I-90. All of the other north/south routes are much slower.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Wow, that is a nice big site. I'm not sure I would want to leave everyday if it is that nice. I don't know, maybe I'm ready for a little slower pace. Part of the reason I get up and out early is to get away from the madness. I spend a lot more time in the Black Hills riding than at camp or even Sturgis. I usually take in a few concerts and some of the bike shows and you gotta spend a little time at One Eyed Jacks. But if I can avoid that traffic on Lazelle, I will. They put the road through from the Chip to exit 37 on 90 a couple years ago. It is still a dirt road but very well maintained and one of the most scenic rides outside of the Black Hills. It allows you to bypass the Ft. Meade/ Lazelle nightmare and downtown Sturgis altogether if you are headed to anywhere not Sturgis.. The 10 mi road from Deadwood to Sturgis is fantastic after sitting on that red hot Harley in the blazing sun moving nearly a yard/min. If you are headed to JP Cycle or One Eyed Jacks or the Indian dealer or liquor store or grocery, it is faster to take the scenic bypass than to walk your bike down Lazelle. When the traffic is all headed into Sturgis the out going side is empty like in the morning. But just about 4:30 pm everybody heads out to the Throttle or Chip or Knuckle for the concerts and the same people are stuck going the other way. Just a ridicules waste of 4hrs of your day, and really hard on man and machine. The bypass is maybe 12 mi? but you are moving at 50-60 mph. So 15min. vs 2hrs each way. No Brainer. But a lot of people are there to be "seen". They aren't bikers at home, except when it is fashionable. Bikers don't wait in lines, so they can pay to park their scoot in someone's front yard, and then walk a few miles to a Bar that is only open 10 days a year, to wait in line to pay $8.00 for a beer and $12.00 for a diet size whiskey.
When the crowd zigs, you zag. While they are standing in line at those funky a** showers, you are having dinner and getting a real shower at that waitresses house in Whitewood. She didn't make the $1000.00 in tips that the Florida ringers make, but she is a lot more appreciative cause you were at her little bar drinking $3.00 beers and $5.00 Jameson and tipping Tens. Plus, she will be there next weekend and will remember your name.... just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions