Does a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with wheels underneath exist?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Does a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with wheels underneath ex

Postby jasonc424 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:01 pm

John61CT wrote:At 7'4" I don't think stability is an issue, long as my COG is low as practical.

Wheels need to be inside that profile so the whole thing fits in a 20' conex.

I plan a pop-up design, rolling height with panels under 6'6", for highway mpg and handling issues.

I would love to do a pop-up so that the rig fits in our garage :)
jasonc424
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

John61CT wrote:
MtnDon wrote: Downsides include not being able to place the bed crosswise if you are tall. But crosswise beds have their own detraction's.
for examples please?

Crosswise beds such as ones in a class C over the cab bed require that one person more or less climb over the other. That, IMO, is difficult at the best of times and bad in the middle of the night.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:57 pm

jasonc424 wrote:I wonder if there is a compromise, wheels partly under and partly exposed?

Anything is possible if the right parts are available. Doing something like that might need special fenders or someonewilling to cut down a standard fender, or maybe make a special width fender. My local guy told me that Lark could do any combination of trailer width and axle width as long as the axle width was something they used in some other standard trailer design they built. In other words they would not order a special axle that was a different width. I think they used an axle for something like a std. 5 foot wide trailer for our 6 foot wide. Another local shop that builds their own trailers told me they could order whatever special size axle was needed and build the trailer to whatever width I wanted. A special / custom width would take longer.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jasonc424 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:41 pm

MtnDon wrote:
jasonc424 wrote:I wonder if there is a compromise, wheels partly under and partly exposed?

Anything is possible if the right parts are available. Doing something like that might need special fenders or someonewilling to cut down a standard fender, or maybe make a special width fender. My local guy told me that Lark could do any combination of trailer width and axle width as long as the axle width was something they used in some other standard trailer design they built. In other words they would not order a special axle that was a different width. I think they used an axle for something like a std. 5 foot wide trailer for our 6 foot wide. Another local shop that builds their own trailers told me they could order whatever special size axle was needed and build the trailer to whatever width I wanted. A special / custom width would take longer.

This is good info, thank you.
jasonc424
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:58 pm

jasonc424 wrote:
flboy wrote:The thing I hate most are the cement barriers on the highway with no shoulder.

Happy New Years.. btw.. it is about that time here.

Bingo, this is the concern, especially for my wife. She is happy towing our T@b which is about 6 feet wide, but expresses concerns about those barriers and prefers that we don't end up in a rig that totals over 7 feet in width. Right now if we are driving straight and our Tacoma fits, then the trailer fits.
I wonder if there is a compromise, wheels partly under and partly exposed?

Happy New Year
J

At least your wife is willing to tow. My wife won't even consider it. She says " you drive". I kinda like it that way in any case. :)

If that is her concern and your main reason however, have her align on the drivers side white line and not focus on the barriers. If needed, she can slow to the minimum speed limit.. but in most cases with the barriers up, they typically lower the speed limits to 55 mph anyhow. If she practices that for a while with you coaching her and watching out for the the passenger side.. she will gain confidence quickly.

I just slow down and take it easy in those situations. Often times I will just switch lanes, traffic permitting, unless the barriers are on both sides. In any case however, I am running the driver's side wheels of the trailer almost on the white line, I slow to 55mph or less if needed, and I always have a few feet to spare even in the tightest scenarios. My eyes do dart over to check the right side occasionally, but never to judge or guide. I've had got it down now where I can put a gap between the left corner of my hood and the white line ahead of me which corresponds to the left wheels right at the line... Just comes with experience..

Best of luck with your choices and I hope you find what you are looking for. Looking forward to following your build. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jasonc424 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 pm

[quote At least your wife is willing to tow quote]

Indeed, I'm happy that she is willing, she wants to learn along with me, how to hook everything up, how all the systems work, etc. It's especially good because I suffer regular migraine headaches which makes me unable to drive
jasonc424
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am

Mine is a 7x10 with the wheels mostly underneath.
I have the bed across the rear ad it feels more roomy to me because of the extra width for sure.

This is a MaxxCargo but was built by Cynergy,one of the South Georgia makers and I drove down there to get it.
I was mainly interested because of the different design and of course the manly rugged back door too! :D

Here is my build or at least most of it so far

viewtopic.php?t=65711

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 am

EZDog wrote:This is a MaxxCargo but was built by Cynergy,one of the South Georgia makers
I don't understand, is the brand actually licensed to multiple makers, or they outsource construction?

Do they do pure custom, say I want 7'4" no wheel or fender protrusion?

Or chassis / cage steelwork only, I do suspension/wheels and box in the living space?

Anyone know quality makers do that level of custom?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm

John61CT wrote:
EZDog wrote:This is a MaxxCargo but was built by Cynergy,one of the South Georgia makers
I don't understand, is the brand actually licensed to multiple makers, or they outsource construction?

Do they do pure custom, say I want 7'4" no wheel or fender protrusion?

Or chassis / cage steelwork only, I do suspension/wheels and box in the living space?

Anyone know quality makers do that level of custom?

I think MaxxCargo is merely the dealer and they get trailers from any number of manufacturers,several of which are with 10 miles of them really.
They seem like a Tire Store first and started the Trailer Business much more recently but they also were pretty easy to work with and customer service oriented too.

I did not order this trailer but it was a custom build for the guy that did but then he didn't like something about it when there to pick it up and refused to take it or he just changed his mind?
They told me they kept his deposit as it was a custom order and I found it online and worked out the deal and drove down and collected it from them.
I think they would build anything that you want really.
I have no idea how little a completed tailer they will sell you but I think in order for them to issue a Title with them they need to be built by them road ready at a minimum?

Certainly not too hard to find out though?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions