Newb asking about RV door latch.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Newb asking about RV door latch.

Postby gatorbacon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 pm

So I picked up a 6x12 to begin my project and after months of planning things are finally starting to come together. My cargo trailer came with the standard door with a bar lock only. I would like to put in an easy door latch or handle just going in and out of the trailer, security isn't the issue here with the bar lock in place. I like the simplicity of the RV door latch but is it possible to install in the cargo door? I'm sure someone here has ran into this circumstance but I haven't found much. Looking for suggestions and ideas.
Figuring things out day by day.
gatorbacon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newb asking about RV door latch.

Postby Mark959 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 pm

I installed an RV door latch, its a great upgrade. Make lots of measurements before cutting in, also make sure there aren't any ribs in the way. If I recall they are adjustable for 1.5" to 2". Measure the thickness of your door.

There is mine before I adjusted the old bar lock... The company that made my trailer didn't really anticipate a door latch there, but you could use a piece of plate aluminum or something if you need to move the locking mechanism and keep it looking good.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66404#p1175554
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm

gatorbacon, Howdy;

First, WELCOME to the forum !!!

Top center of the header is a Google search box, here's the results I got for an
RV latch install ... hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69804&p=1221901#p1221901

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Here is a link for etrailer. You might find instructions from them.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Doors/Globa ... 00019.html

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

i bought an rv latch for my barn door but haven't installed it yet. i plan on removing the door over the winter and stripping it down to insulate it and install the latch. i did make a cardboard template of the latch so that i can make an acurate cut since there isn't much room for error.
good luck with your latch
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby ScottSawyer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:26 am

Old thread but looking for some input from those that have installed a latch on their cargo trailer door. Two posts above is a link to the latch I plan to get but I have a question about the install. When you cut the opening I get that you have to cut the big square opening for the body of the lock, but what do you do for the "cartridge" that the latch is in off to the side? I could see pulling the trim off the edge of the door and drilling holes in from the end. Then replace the trim and drill the hole for the latch itself? Is there a better way? If it matters the door is now two solid pieces of plywood for the entire door, no dead space to deal with. TIA!
ScottSawyer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:47 am

Hey Scott,
See if any of this stuff has the answer you are looking for. It is NTSB but they want stuff to be standard industry wide.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.g ... b_2010.pdf

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Scott, when I did mine, 2 of them, I found it too much of a pain to cut a square opening for the latch and dead bolt. I just cut a U shape opening in the alu trim so I could insert the latch assembly through the opening in the door and rotate it into position. I reinforced the inside of the trim I cut through with a flat piece of alu stock. I cut the opening first and with the latch and dead bolt extended, you can mark where to cut the door trim...if you install it as I did.
You also need to be careful when you cut the opening in your door for the latch assembly, as there isn't much room for error. Very little overlap onto the door.
I did use a rotozip with metal cutting disc to cut the latch-deadbolt opening in the trailer's door jamb.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:10 pm

I recommend you build a mock up of your door and practice on that. There is very little room for error.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions