Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-Foru

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-

Postby hankaye » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 am

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

Keep checkin' yer measurements, take yer time, remember to breath ...
we're rootin' for ya.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:37 am

Hank, Today it seems the Gremlins were away. Took me an hour and a half from drilling the start holes for the jigsaw, until the inside trim ring was done.
I still need to install the drip guard. I am assuming I use the Butyl tape to seal the top edge of it. then screw it on until the Butyl tape starts to seep around the edges, like I did on the door.
Attachments
TD Door.JPG
TD Door.JPG (229.34 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

WOW! 8) , :D , :applause: , :thumbsup: , :thumbsup:

Who'd a thunk it ... a door within a door,now I know I've seen something like
that before ... :thinking: , where was it ... :thinking: , oh yea, a way to let
the dog an cat in an out 8) , :lol:

See, you can do this stuff, proud of ya! Yup, with the drip guard, just a bead
to cover the screw holes should be all that's necessary.

If you wish to do away with the Interstate and Dealer's Plus decals you can warm
them up with a hair drier and careful use of a razor scraper. Again, take yer time
and go slowly.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Yeah Hank, I was really surprised that things went fairly well. Not really worried about the decals. Maybe some day I will take them off.
Done a little prep work for tomorrow. I will be cutting my bed pallet top, and also the ceiling panel. Unfortunately I still have to put strips of ply to fill in the gaps between the ceiling and side panels. Too bad they don't make 54 inch wide sheets of Luan ply. Of course this trailer is not going to be a show piece like some people do with their trailers. It is a simple sleeper, and place to get out of the weather when the weather hits.

But I am still waiting on the Kreg pocket hole jig set I ordered, so I can create the support legs for the sleeping pallet, flat surface I will lay on. From what I have seen, joints with pocket hole screws are very strong, especially when you also glue them. I'll be using my scrap 1x3's, making a wide framework. Probably need three support frames.

I will also run the last four power lines, two each to the LED lighting, both of which will be on the same side above the bed pallet. Reason is that no matter which way I put my head, I will have a reading light, and be able to reach up and switch it off.

I will run the lines for the last two 12 volt sockets, one being on a 10 amp line, and the other on the 15 amp line. I'll have to make sure I label them to make sure I plug the right things in the right sockets.

I hope all this is not too ambitious. I would like to have the rough work done so I can actually take the trailer out one day for a test

Just one more question. Since my little A/C unit will be seated on the outside front bulkhead, I will need to cut two holes, one 2 3/8 inch and the other 4 1/2 inch. I am guessing the larger one is the vent bringing in the cold air, and the little one as the return vent. The unit will be removable, simply because it is so small, and light, only 23 pounds.

The problem posed is that I will have two open holes that, so far I have not found a cover for. Any suggestions? More vent covers. Only problem with removable covers is that I cannot seal them.

Just for those who probably will say, "How will you support the A/C", I purchased fold down table supports rated at 150 pounds each. I will screw a ply support platform to those, and when locked open, should support the unit. Maybe I can figure a way of locking the A/C unit to that platform.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Hey Hank again, Yup, it is a cat and dog door, if you class we humans in those categories, women = cats, Men = Doggies. :lol: Of course, this little trailer will hold one six foot kitty. :shock: :D
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Marine deck plates might work for your holes. They come in 4", 6", and 8" sizes. Just search for "deck plates" in Amazon.

Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Rainier, Checked it out, but the problem is the flange. I think I will have to get by with duct tape until I can figure out something else. My first thought is to use black 2 3/8 and 4.5 inch ABS pipe, as they fit over the A/C tubes with only a little modification. I'll have to wait and see just how well this A/C unit mounts up to the cargo trailer wall while it rests on the support platform. I know there are caps for these ABS pipes. If things work, I can seal the ABS pipes in the holes with sealant, and then just slip the A/C unit onto the pipes when installing the A/C. When storing the A/C, I just fit on the ABS pipe caps to the outside. These are available at my Home Depot.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 am

:applause: :thumbsup: ;)
Very nice work on the door Caley Ann. We all have those days where it seems nothing goes right, and then just like that things turn around. A very wise man once said "We must endeavour to persevere." I swear some days it is just a test to see if you are really committed. Sometimes you just need shift gears and let the problem age and mellow some, then sneak up on it and tackle it. The only thing you can't do is quit. If you can' t go around it, or get over it, you'll just have to go through it.
Good job young Lady.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:23 pm

McDave, Thank You, and thanks for making me feel a little younger, The truth is I am pushing 70.
I did a little more wiring today. Seems wiring is a real time killer. But at least I got the LED lights installed, and run to the everything electrical box, and got the fan lines to that electrical box also. Also managed to cut out the sleeping platform and the sheet of Luan for the ceiling. But that ate up 3 hours, and I decided that I needed a break.

Probably get the wood blocks that will hold the 12 volt sockets cut and routed. Also working on the sleeping pallet framework that supports that ply sheet I cut out this morning. Figure, based on how long things take, I will be very lucky to install the ceiling wood sheet, install the sleeping pallet, and finish those sockets in the electrical. Would be nice, but I doubt I will finish.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Hmmm, I thought I had posted this. Well, here it goes again.

I had a nice day installing the ceiling header ply, the two 12 volt sockets, some floor tiling, and my bed pallet.

The ply header actually ended up being very easy, as it just popped in, resting atop the two wall ply panels. All I had to do was put in about 9 screws, and done.

The 12 volt sockets also went in fairly easily. I ran the wiring to the everything electrical box, but have not finished connecting things inside the box. I still lack a ground cable to the trailer frame.

I also laid down what I had left of linoleum tiles on the trailer floor. Need to get some more to finish things off.

I built the bed framework, and temporarily installed it to make sure I could still close the cargo door, and also be able to get in and out using the teardrop door. All works
Attachments
Table Wall.jpg
Table Wall.jpg (228.24 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Bed Wall.jpg
Bed Wall.jpg (222.49 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 am

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

Well young Lady, lookey at you! Nice square cut ends, all squared off with the ones they're attached to.
Looks like nice 90°angles all sorts of good stuff going on in there.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 am

Yes Maam,
It's all coming together now. :thumbsup:
;)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Another few hours of work this morning. Got the forward Trim back in place, with the exception of the top part of the forward bulkhead. That is going to be quite interesting to do.

I finished the electrical as far as I can. I still do not have the big wires 4AWG size so that I can connect the power and ground of the 12 volt system. Still have to figure out just what I need.

Homely Despotty didn't have the tile I used initially on the floor, so I just got what I could afford. The tile colours are mismatched, but then, I am not trying to impress anyone.

I picked up some square steel that is perforated, and some cross tie straps. I am going to bolt these together, and then mount them across the trailer tongue with 5/16 bolts. I'll also brace this platform to the trailer body. I'll then screw some galvanized sheet metal I have to the top of this platform. Next the battery box will be screwed to all of this. This is just a rough idea of what I am going to do, but you get the gist. Once I have this platform and battery box mounted, I can finally purchase my batteries (2 x 6 volt golf cart Duracell), and finally start wiring the power and ground setup, adding the main breaker and emergency cutoff switch.

I still need to find a mounting bracket that will hold a 5 gallon can of gas on one side, and 5 gallons of water on the other above the wheel well. Any ideas in the cans and the mounting brackets? I've looked on Amazon, and just get confused with the variety, and the different sizes. Just can't seem to match the cans and support brackets. They all seem to be different dimensions.

I also need to find a place for the spare trailer tire, bit I am running out of room on the outside of the trailer. The trailer came with a spare tire mount, but it doesn't seem to have a way to lock the tire on, or for that matter, bolt it on.

Unfortunately I go back to my volunteer job for the next three weeks, so progress is going to slow down.
Attachments
Trailer Bed.jpg
Trailer Bed.jpg (212.21 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:49 pm

As you can see, I have a lot of room under the bed platform for storage. I have half a dozen lock top lid containers that will go there, and there should still be room for a few other things.

On the right wall as you are viewing, I will have a couple of fold down tables, so I have a place for a fan, or just a regular work table.

When I am camped for my gold mining trips, I will have an awning covering about half the trailer. Opposite the trailer door on the other side of the awning will be the tent that attaches to the awning. In that will be my kitchen and other things. Those things will just have to be stacked inside the trailer when I am driving from place to place.

To the left side of the awning will be my shower and bathroom tent, which can also attach to the awning.

I'm almost set to do a trial overnight trip.

QUESTION: I have a lot of bare wood. Anyone have a suggestion on something I can paint on it to both enhance the looks, and provide some protection from the heat of the desert, without adding a lot of smell. So many things give off a very bad odour which I really would like to avoid if possible.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm

CaleyAnn wrote:QUESTION: I have a lot of bare wood. Anyone have a suggestion on something I can paint on it to both enhance the looks, and provide some protection from the heat of the desert, without adding a lot of smell. So many things give off a very bad odour which I really would like to avoid if possible.

Peel and stick carpet
Iconfabul8
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions